topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Random electronics projects  (Read 11718 times)

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Random electronics projects
« on: September 29, 2014, 04:11 PM »
So, I recently started Uni and have been doing a bit of this and that with my Atmel prototyping board using a AtMega32 µC. One of things I made with some of the assignments we've gotten so far is a small simple square wave synthesizer like thing. Has anyone else done similar small electronics projects? I am correctly dabbling in buying 6 5X8 LED dot matrixes to redo the charlieplexing display I made in high school. So yeah, any of you guys done similar things?

The small synthesizer like thing I made using the Uni-required STK500 prototyping board (An exercise in assembly):

My old charlieplexed 8x7 LED display (Written in terrible amateur C):
Stop mousering people so much - Mouser

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Random electronics projects
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 08:01 PM »
Just beginner-level Arduino stuff here -- just connecting LEDs, wires, etc. on breadboards at this stage.

Curious how the following is going to turn out:

SmartScope

Do you have access to an oscilloscope?

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:22 PM »
Curious how the following is going to turn out:

SmartScope

WANT!!

I have an old Heathkit scope I bought at the Goodwill.  It works, but has a time-machine glitch in it (the tops of the waveforms tend backwards) and I haven't found a manual to adjust it yet, but really I would like something to replace it that doesn't cost a million bucks.  Been saving my pennies for this:
http://www.seeedstud...-Nano-v3-p-1358.html

dsonano.png

I never thought that maybe an Arduino with a display could do the basics, but it looks like some folks have done it:
http://www.instructa...rduino-Oscilloscope/
http://www.instructa...r-mans-Oscilloscope/
http://www.instructa...r-Mans-Oscilloscope/

For simple audio signal tracing, I've used Xoscope to good effect:
http://xoscope.sourceforge.net/
xoscope-1.8.png

I've done audio equipment repair in my youth, and tried my hand at designing guitar sound effects units (stompboxes), but never really went anywhere with that.  I have an arduino, and am fascinated by what others have done with it, but I'm having trouble coming up with my own ideas for it.
 :-[

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 10:20 PM »
I have an old Heathkit scope I bought at the Goodwill.  It works, but has a time-machine glitch in it (the tops of the waveforms tend backwards) and I haven't found a manual to adjust it yet,

I don't suppose there's anything relevant here:

http://www.vintage-radio.info/heathkit/

Thanks for the links -- some interesting stuff there.  Saw something about BitScope on the xoscope page -- might take a look at that later.

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 02:02 AM »
I am personally using Digilents Analog Discovery, it's a USB oscilloscope, arbitrary waveform generator and 5v power supply. It also has like 12 16 I/O ports. It's a bit expensive though, but thinking about how expensive most normal oscilloscopes are, it's pretty affordable.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 05:43 AM by p3lb0x »

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 04:47 AM »
Does this look like it?

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 05:41 AM »
Yep, that's the exact oscilloscope I am using. It's working out well so far. The controlling software is a bit slow, but once you set everything up it works flawlessly.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 06:33 PM »
Thanks!

Hopefully I'll meet up with an oscilloscope before too long -- may be something simple for starters...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 03:25 PM »
I'm almost exclusively an analog (audio/music) buff, although I have an unopened Arduino starter kit I keep trying to find time/energy to get down with.

My last project was this dynamite little FET audio preamp. I think I've built a dozen or more of these puppies for various music projects and friends. I've also built four of J. Donald Tillman's superb JFET guitar preamp, which inspired the above circuit. (The J201 FET in Tillman's circuit is becoming difficult to obtain so I don't let these preamps out of my sight. All my music cronies love the way they sound. And I wouldn't put it past some of them not to try the old '5-finger discount' move to get one. :eusa_naughty: )

I love simple little electronic projects like these. It's nice to get professional quality at very reasonable prices. And building it yourself just makes it that much sweeter. :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:23 PM by 40hz »

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 03:57 PM »
The SmartScope indeed looks very cool! I would be surprised if you find anything cheaper than that.