topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Missing out on the Control Panel Items, Launchy didn't  (Read 18157 times)

saurabhdua

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Missing out on the Control Panel Items, Launchy didn't
« on: June 23, 2014, 02:55 AM »
Hello Folks!  :)

Have just made a transition to latest version of FARR from my much revered Launchy. Iam on Win 8 Desktop PC. Typing "Network Connections" should invoke the "View Network Connections" automatically similar to what used to be the case with Launchy. However, FARR is making me do the marathon to scour the route to exisiting Network Connections by first invoking the Control Panel screen, & thus searching my way out for "View Network Connections"!? :(

I would request you to teach me a Trick in order to index(or whatever technology FARR uses) the all items present within Control Panel. Iam using "Bridge Mode" for the Network Connectivity, & hence have to manually click on connect for the respective Network Connection.

All help will be sincerely appreciated.
Regards from National Capital----New Delhi
India.

saurabhdua

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Missing out on the Control Panel Items, Launchy didn't
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 01:29 AM »
Please reply to the above mentioned post!?

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 01:52 AM »
I don't think it's currently possible to list network connections in FARR directly. Would maybe make a useful plugin though.

Best you can do is probably the cpanel alias, i.e.

cpanel network

Should give you all control panel items named something with 'network'.

For some reason my cpanel.alias file limits 'Network Connections' to Windows versions 5.9 and below. If I change it the respective line to:

<Result>Network Connections | %windir%\system32\control.exe netconnections /ICON=NetworkSharing.ico /winvermin=5.1 /winvermax=6.2</Result>

in

C:\Program Files (x86)\FindAndRunRobot\AliasGroups\Installed\cpanel\cpanel.alias

it seems to work all right even in Windows 8 though.

I see there are many other items which are limited to winvermax=5.9. Maybe someone needs to go over that file and update the ones which also work on Windows 8.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 07:59 AM »
Hi saurabhdua,

I typed "netwo" in FARR and it showed my the below screen, with "My Network Places",

[attach1]

Selecting 'My Network Places' I got below screen,

[attach2]

Is this what you are looking for ?

If not, better attach some screen shot of 'Launchy', as that will help the developer to understand what you are looking for.

Regards,

Anand

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 06:25 PM »
^ I dont get that... [edit] oops, it does show when I press pagedown to show more results - see the last one on the list below :-[ [/edit]

I did create the 'godmode' shortcuts a while back (and posted about it here somewhere) and put them in a folder checked by FARR. So I do get a selection of network related options:

Screenshot - 2014-06-25 , 01_23_12.png
Tom
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:11 AM by tomos »

saurabhdua

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 06:41 AM »
Hello to all again!

To Phitsc::: Typing cpanel, though lists the Control Panel associated options. However,  invoking "View Network Connections" still remain a distant dream.

To AnandCoral:::What you have highlighted depicts "My Network" places, & it cannot be a substitute to list of Network Connections. It is altogether a different option.

To Tomos::: You seem to have approached nearest to my requirement. I wish to understand in detail, how did you accomplish the same!?

However, without any of the complex maneuvers Launchy do invoke the desired screen as it used to form a Core entry within the Start-Menu with the earlier versions of Windows OS. This Win 8 goes bereft of Start Menu, & hence Launch Utilities assumed the need of the hour.

What I really want is that FARR should Index every item listed under Control panel. So suppose, if I need to Update Windows....I should be able to invoke its Screen at the first go, by typing a string::: Win Update. That's My requirement. 

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 06:45 AM »
But that is exactly what the cpanel alias does, no?

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 06:47 AM »
cpanel Network stuff:

FARR_cpanel.png

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 08:25 AM »
saurabhdua: I am the one who created the cpanel alias set. I attempted to incorporate the "God Mode" links, which are essentially direct DLL calls to open specific pages on a given form, but was unsuccessful. I've managed to recreate a few of the links but the problem with the God Mode folder is that the links contained in it are not standard lnk shortcut files. They are special shell calls to specific functions.

That said, I think I can add in your "Network connections" folder link and will publish the file I am working with at home. I had the same requirement and just forgot to give it to mouser to re-package into FARR. I think this will solve what you need.

More to follow when I get home tonight.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 09:00 AM »
To Tomos::: You seem to have approached nearest to my requirement. I wish to understand in detail, how did you accomplish the same!?

have a look here if you still want to set those up:
https://www.donation....msg287416#msg287416
Tom

saurabhdua

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 06:38 AM »
Hello Phitsc!

Please have a look on what my Screen shows up when the search string of "cpanel netwo" goes entered into. Please refer to the attached image.

Mr. Josh, will you come up with a new version of FARR that'll take care of the requirements automatically?

Hello Tomos, in the given Hyper-link, Iam confused to an extent that I don't know from where to start & at where to end:-)

At the first place, I don't know what a God Mode is?  Won't it be really simple to Automate this kind of search in an Upcoming version of FARR?

This is what I want to be seen....Refer to the 2nd Screenshot. "Launchy" does that without any hassles!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 06:47 AM by saurabhdua »

saurabhdua

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 07:09 AM »
Guys! Please help...! >:( Have all gone into the Snoozing Mode?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 12:57 PM »
Guys! Please help...! >:( Have all gone into the Snoozing Mode?

When dealing with free software and those that try to help you with it, patience is a virtue.  Especially over the weekend.  :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 01:13 PM »
When dealing with free software and those that try to help you with it, patience is a virtue.  Especially over the weekend.  :Thmbsup

*and* during the world cup :D

@saurabhdua - Re the godmode shortcuts, they dont sound like what you want - if you are still interested in them, a simple internet search should get you a couple of good articles and/or simple instructions on how to create. My link/instructions were on how get them into FARR.
Tom

saurabhdua

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 01:18 PM »
Dear Wraith808!

Patience is a long forgotten virtue! Don't you observe Smartphones & Tablet Manufacturers endorsing the punch line:::"Those who hate to wait"! :-)

Nevertheless, Please Check out the attached screenshot & it will reveal that why this "Launchy" is still invincible! No more workarounds, No more gimmicks...just type in "Netw".....& comes the desired Outcome there & then!

Both FARR & Launchy depicts "Start-up Impact" on resources as HIGH under Task Manager screen. Hence, it didn't prove to be a trade off worth to remain stick with FARR.

An uneasy access to the "Network Connections" were proving to be a Gr8 Handicap, & thus have decided to become LOYAL to Launchy once again!

See you Next time till you add Godmode for the Next Version of FARR to enable an Index of all listed items within the highly populated Control Panel  of Win 8 OS.

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 04:08 PM »
But Josh's cpanel alias does all of that, doesn't it?

And I was already planning to make a network connections plugin. But why spend many hours of my precious time which I could be spending with my kids, or watch the football world cup, or learn Haskell, when not even you are going to use it?

saurabhdua

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 04:53 AM »
Hello Phitsc!

cpanel alias were not depicting that option. Moreover, don' you think the feature should have been there by default? Please offer an earnest time in enjoying the ongoing World Cup. :P Thanks.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 08:47 PM »
Lanux was telling me that perhaps what you want is the nwconn plugin for FARR, written by dc member taichimaster:
https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=9083.0

nwconn.png

by the way: It's taichimaster's birthday today! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 09:09 PM »
Mouser, add the following line to the cpanel.alias file

<Result>Network Connections | %windir%\system32\control.exe ncpa.cpl /ICON=NetworkSharing.ico /winvermin=6.0 /winvermax=6.2</Result>

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 09:53 PM »
Updated cpanel alias with josh's fix:
* cpanel.alias (18.36 kB - downloaded 188 times.)

Copy this new version over your installed version at C:\Program Files\FindAndRunRobot\AliasGroups\Installed\cpanel\cpanel.alias
Then restart FARR.

saurabhdua

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 08:04 AM »
Hello Mouser!

Won't it be possible for you to index all items listed within the Control panel of Win 8? For instance, if I wish to directly launch "Windows Update" through FARR.....can't that really happen without getting into the complications of , what they acclaim as "God Mode"?

Why not come up with an altogether Latest release of the FARR to disburse all these offerings by default? Why should there be some maneuvers for pretty simple things?

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 08:37 AM »
I hope you don't mind me repeating myself. I think this is exactly what the cpanel alias does. Observe:

FARR_cpanel.png

And I have absolutely no idea what this 'God mode' is.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 09:39 AM »
It may simply be a case of the cpanel alias not having the Network Connections item for Windows 7/8.

Please try the new cpanel.alias fix above from josh to see if that adds your Network Connections item to the list when you type: cpanel

If so I will add it to the official release.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 12:04 PM »
That does work.  There was one there in the file, and it wasn't working for some reason.  But once I added Josh's, it worked!

On a different note, even though I just renamed the old alias and added the new... the old alias still won't show up.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 12:51 PM »
you say you "renamed" the old alias -- can you  be more precise? the filename has no effect on the search match.