topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Google's new "Hey Indies! Pay or your video won't play!" subscription service.  (Read 8477 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
With the imminent launch of Google's new subscription music service, reports are coming in from many independent labels about phone calls and letters from Google warning that their content may be blocked unless they sign onto Google's new service. What this means is unless your label is part of Google's subscription service going forward, all your current videos will be removed and any future videos will blocked from streaming via Google.

That in itself would be bad enough. But the indies are also complaining they're being offered inferior terms compared to those offered to the last standing "old boys" like Universal, Warner, and Sony. Most of the indie labels contacted have characterized Google's behavior in this matter as arm-twisting and corporate bullying.

Most interesting of all, Google is making no attempt whatsoever to downplay or mitigate any negative fallout. They've offered this statement:

"Our goal is to continue making YouTube an amazing music experience, both as a global platform for fans and artists to connect, and as a revenue source for the music industry. We're adding subscription-based features for music on YouTube with this in mind — to bring our music partners new revenue streams in addition to the hundreds of millions of dollars YouTube already generates for them each year. We are excited that hundreds of major and independent labels are already partnering with us."

The message seems to be: Hey kiddies! Don't get left out. All the other cool kids are doing it already! Sign up now - or you won't get to play in our sandbox.

Links to several articles on this can be found here.

Just one step closer to officially sanctioned art.

problem.jpg

Hey Larry Page? Didn't somebody resembling you once say "Do no evil"?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member

That's a common misunderstanding. What he actually said was "Do know evil." Which is why Google are so good at collecting and analyzing every detail of our lives. :P

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

That's a common misunderstanding. What he actually said was "Do know evil." Which is why Google are so good at collecting and analyzing every detail of our lives. :P

LOL Awesome! ;D ;D ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, google's been redefining evil for a while.  And as long as they stick to their definition, they're doing no evil, right?

Google motto 2004: Don't be evil
Google motto 2010: Evil is tricky to define
Google motto 2013: We make military robots

;D

SeraphimLabs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • Be Ready
    • View Profile
    • SeraphimLabs
    • Donate to Member
Why are people still using youtube anyway.

There are other streaming video services out there now that would love to have your viewing, and are willing to take some risks of their own to get your attention- like showing content that youtube might not make available in your country, and taking their sweet time responding to copyright complaints because they know what content people want to see.

Google has become the new Walmart. It is huge, and it is going to stay huge unless people show a little willpower and shop somewhere else.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
-SeraphimLabs (June 17, 2014, 05:53 PM)

It just works.  And by default, other sites hook into YT.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
-SeraphimLabs (June 17, 2014, 05:53 PM)

It just works.  And by default, other sites hook into YT.

Yes indeed. There's that.

Notice how we don't have a
tag set? ;)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Vimeo has its own problems. It has been known for taking down videos of "gameplay" (for videogames) simply because Vimeo considers itself a website for artistic videos and they don't consider videogames artistic enough... or something.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I dont understand -
I thought the labels all along wanted google/YT to pay them for the privilige of having their music ?
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Vimeo has its own problems. It has been known for taking down videos of "gameplay" (for videogames) simply because Vimeo considers itself a website for artistic videos and they don't consider videogames artistic enough... or something.

Oh...I'm not saying Vimeo is anything wonderful. I'm just saying look how YT is now so much the default share source that it has support in a huge number of places while so many other sharing sites still don't.

I also don't have a problem with some reasonable level of curation - even if it can all too easily become a slippery slope.

In Vimeo's case, however, I think it was more motivated by a desire not to go down the same "trash submissions" route YT has gone down. Vimeo doesn't have the same market penetration as YT. So in order to lure the content creators Vimeo wants to see on their site, they need to offer something better than just free hosting. Because YT already provides that plus more eyeballs.

So offering a more selective (and dare I say it?) grown-up site with a (hopefully) more sophisticated and appreciative audience is one way to get there.

Or so it seems to me. 8)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 10:30 AM by 40hz »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't even know why people would use a video site for music anyway. Why not just use BandCamp or SoundCloud?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't even know why people would use a video site for music anyway. Why not just use BandCamp or SoundCloud?

See above about YT penetration.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
"Do know evil."

Awesome!  :Thmbsup:

http://www.digitalmu...-remove-music-videos

Everyone Calm Down. YouTube Is NOT Going To Remove Music Videos

God only knows. I can't find the agreement and too tired to look further.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker