topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Linux Foundataion's $2400 Intro to Linux course to be offered online for free  (Read 17234 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Linux Foundation has paired up with edX, an online course provider, to offer their normally $2400 4-day Intro to Linux course for free starting in August 2014.

davincipenguin.jpg

Introduction to Linux
Develop a good working knowledge of Linux using both the graphical interface and command line, covering the major Linux distribution families.

About this Course

Linux powers 94% of the world’s supercomputers, most of the servers powering the Internet, the majority of financial trades worldwide and a billion Android devices. In short, Linux is everywhere. It appears in many different architectures, from mainframes to server to desktop to mobile and on a staggeringly wide variety of hardware.

This course explores the various tools and techniques commonly used by Linux programmers, system administrators and end users to achieve their day-to-day work in a Linux environment. It is designed for experienced computer users who have limited or no previous exposure to Linux, whether they are working in an individual or Enterprise environment.

Upon completion of this training you should have a good working knowledge of Linux, from both a graphical and command line perspective, allowing you to easily navigate through any of the major Linux distributions. You will be able to continue your progress as either a user, system administrator or developer using the acquired skill set.

This is a serious intro for people with no Linux experience. Or for self-taught Linux users who worry they may not be aware of everything they should know about their chosen OS.

If you've ever taken a Linux Foundation (or edX or Coursera or Udacity) course, you know that these are "real deal" college-level offerings. What's amazing (to me) is how good they are - and how most are offered for free. (Many of these courses also offer an option to obtain a school certificate for a very small fee if you have successfully completed the course and passed the requisite exams.)

I've taken a few of these MOOC courses and found them to be challenging - but in the good way. I'm firmly convinced that with the out-of-control costs of higher education, the MOOC model may soon become the way most people take courses in the future. Especially now that these courses have progressed beyond simply offering recorded lectures. Many have interactive labs, quizzes and exams, the ability to chat with with or post questions to instructors, course forums where you can discuss things with your instructors and fellow students...

In many respects it's just like being in a "real" school. Or with the amount of online interaction most universities require these days, maybe it's exactly like a real school. Except without the parties.

This particular offering estimates it will take the average student 40-60 hours to work completely through the course material. And a certificate is available for those who wish to officially document their achievement.

Here's what the chief penguin Linus Torvalds himself has to say:

Course may be taken absolutely free of charge, but registration is required. More info and links can be found here.

:Thmbsup:

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is a serious intro for people with no Linux experience. Or for self-taught Linux users who worry they may not be aware of everything they should know about their chosen OS.

I get that feeling every time I open up Machtelt Garrels' Introduction to Linux or the Bash Reference Manual
So much to learn, so little brain cells... :(

Thanks for the heads up, I'll most likely be registering, especially since it's now free. :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ALERT: Today is August 4th. Just a reminder to anybody who is interested that this course has just begun. The first few modules are history and background info on Linux. Because of that, you won't get caught too far behind if you start attending this week.

So get on over and register if you plan on taking it. :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Ooooh!

Thanks for sharing this.

I'm not sure if my schedule will let me do this seriously, but auditing is a great option!
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ooooh!

Thanks for sharing this.

I'm not sure if my schedule will let me do this seriously, but auditing is a great option!

I'm auditing it. I figure I could always benefit from a refresher. And there's always the chance there's something important I might have missed at one time or another. :)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  EdX is in the process of updating the Linux course, the new course will be offered on 12/20/14 and will still be free unless you want it to be accredited......

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 EdX is in the process of updating the Linux course, the new course will be offered on 12/20/14 and will still be free unless you want it to be accredited......

Marking my calendar. I started it last time and got half way through (it's excellent BTW  :Thmbsup:) before I go tripped up with availability of time and didn't finish it. :-[

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  I had just started and was up to chapter 2 when they announced the new, improved update launch in December.  So I'm just holding off for now and waiting.....

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for letting us know.  I signed up for EdX and was about to sign in to the Linux course when I saw this post.  

P.S.  I saw that to verify your identity (in one of the Terms and Conditions pages) they want a picture of your driver's license and a webcam photo.  
WTH?  They need a blinkin' SELFIE?!?! :nono2:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
P.S.  I saw that to verify your identity (in one of the Terms and Conditions pages) they want a picture of your driver's license and a webcam photo. 
WTH?  They need a blinkin' SELFIE?!?! :nono2

Maybe if you're taking something for academic credit?

I didn't provide my DL last time I registered for an EdX course. :huh:

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hmmm... perhaps.

From the Honor Code page, under "Certificates, etc.":
Registration and Payment.
Subject to the foregoing, you may be required to pay a fee to receive an ID Verified Certificate of Achievement (a “Verified Certificate”) with respect to certain courses on the Site, in which case, the following processes and requirements shall apply:
- As part of your registration, you will be prompted to submit a photo of yourself, along with one other form of photo identification (“photo ID”). Although these items are collected by edX in accordance with these TOS and the edX Privacy Policy, you should be aware that the actual authentication of your identify is performed by an edX third party service provider. Please refer to the Privacy Policy for additional details on how we handle those items once received by us.

But then this, farther down, under "Authentication":
AUTHENTICATION

In order that edX can authenticate your identity as required by these TOS, you will be prompted to take a webcam photo of yourself, as well as a photo of an acceptable form of photo ID (described below). Once submitted to edX, this information will be subject to the edX Privacy Policy and will be used only for the purpose of verifying your identity. Acceptable forms of photo ID’s are:

... but if you didn't have to, then I won't sweat it.  I just found it a bit odd that they explicitly ask for a "webcam photo of yourself".
 :huh:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I just found it a bit odd that they explicitly ask for a "webcam photo of yourself".

At least they didn't ask that you be wearing a bikini.internet_troll_tiny.png

(Sorry! I couldn't resist. :redface: )
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 07:26 AM by 40hz »

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  I didn't have to give a photo or any other form of ID when I signed up for the course.  I'm not doing the academic diploma course, just the freebie.  That may be the reason.  If you're in another country they may also want some ID.  I suppose the only way to know for sure is to read their terms of use agreement....

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
TINMAN!!! Holy Shit - Glad to see you back man!! :D

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
TINMAN!!! Holy Shit - Glad to see you back man!! :D

Hey Stoic, glad to see you're still alive and kicking dood!   ;D  I can't really say that I'm "back", I just posted an update for 40hz.  I just happened to get a notice for a thread I had marked long ago and came across 40hz's message about EdX.  Small world, eh?   ;)