ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

Linux Foundataion's $2400 Intro to Linux course to be offered online for free

<< < (3/3)

Edvard:
Hmmm... perhaps.

From the Honor Code page, under "Certificates, etc.":
Registration and Payment.
Subject to the foregoing, you may be required to pay a fee to receive an ID Verified Certificate of Achievement (a “Verified Certificate”) with respect to certain courses on the Site, in which case, the following processes and requirements shall apply:
- As part of your registration, you will be prompted to submit a photo of yourself, along with one other form of photo identification (“photo ID”). Although these items are collected by edX in accordance with these TOS and the edX Privacy Policy, you should be aware that the actual authentication of your identify is performed by an edX third party service provider. Please refer to the Privacy Policy for additional details on how we handle those items once received by us.
--- End quote ---

But then this, farther down, under "Authentication":
AUTHENTICATION

In order that edX can authenticate your identity as required by these TOS, you will be prompted to take a webcam photo of yourself, as well as a photo of an acceptable form of photo ID (described below). Once submitted to edX, this information will be subject to the edX Privacy Policy and will be used only for the purpose of verifying your identity. Acceptable forms of photo ID’s are:
--- End quote ---

... but if you didn't have to, then I won't sweat it.  I just found it a bit odd that they explicitly ask for a "webcam photo of yourself".
 :huh:

40hz:
I just found it a bit odd that they explicitly ask for a "webcam photo of yourself".
-Edvard (October 30, 2014, 12:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

At least they didn't ask that you be wearing a bikini.

(Sorry! I couldn't resist. :redface: )

Tinman57:
  I didn't have to give a photo or any other form of ID when I signed up for the course.  I'm not doing the academic diploma course, just the freebie.  That may be the reason.  If you're in another country they may also want some ID.  I suppose the only way to know for sure is to read their terms of use agreement....

Stoic Joker:
TINMAN!!! Holy Shit - Glad to see you back man!! :D

Tinman57:
TINMAN!!! Holy Shit - Glad to see you back man!! :D
-Stoic Joker (October 31, 2014, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hey Stoic, glad to see you're still alive and kicking dood!   ;D  I can't really say that I'm "back", I just posted an update for 40hz.  I just happened to get a notice for a thread I had marked long ago and came across 40hz's message about EdX.  Small world, eh?   ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version