topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PhraseExpander Giveaway (59$ value) today only  (Read 6975 times)

nagarsoft

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • PhraseExpander
    • Donate to Member
PhraseExpander Giveaway (59$ value) today only
« on: May 05, 2014, 05:07 AM »
Hello,
PhraseExpander, the text expansion software for Windows, is available for free at Giveaway of the day.
You can get your free license for PhraseExpander Standard (normally prices at $59) at http://www.phraseexpander.com/gotd2014

This offer is available today only.
Andrea Nagar - PhraseExpander
Text Expander software for Windows
http://www.phraseexpander.com

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PhraseExpander Giveaway (59$ value) today only
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 08:45 PM »
Licenses that have to be used a certain day & can not be used tomorrow or next week are useless in my opinion. As soon as you need to reinstall your OS you are out of luck.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 09:58 PM »
Concur. I appreciate the offer but given the frequency with which I install software and my OS, this is not going to be of benefit to me.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 06:57 AM »
+1 with the above two comments.

Ever since I ran into occasions where one-day-only 'giveaway' apps got updated several months after being installed - and then refused to work because of licensing (and couldn't be rolled back or reinstalled) - I decided anything offered under GOTD's terms is worth precisely as much as they charge for it.

I think it's great if GOTD works for some people. But it doesn't work for me.

So thanks - but no thanks. If I really want a piece of software, I'll just buy it. :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:33 AM by 40hz »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 07:45 AM »
Whenever I see such an offer, I'll try to turn the software in a portable version. Most of the time that works, sometimes it doesn't. But lately I didn't see much that was interesting to me at GAOTD, so I didn't bother.

Buying stuff on the internet without having a credit card is quite problematic. But I don't want one, because I don't like the concept behind it. A debit card is much more to my liking, but very unpopular with banks and vendors alike. When living in the Netherlands I did have a bank card and that I used a lot, because it felt much more secure than a credit card. Just saying, it's not that I have too much against 'plastic', I just don't like credit cards.

Besides that, banks here in Paraguay are expensive. Much more so than in the US or the Netherlands and therefore a lot of cooperativa's are formed that handle money from people. For example, banks charge interest of 23% (legal limit, else it would be higher) on any amount their customer borrows. Taking in account the exchange rate, you also need to keep minimum of about 1500 USD permanently in your bank account. Most people make 250-300USD per month, so a lot of people can't afford a bank, even if they wanted to. Only banks give out credit cards, so getting one is near impossible here in Paraguay.

If you do have one, you can pay practically everywhere with it, it is not that Paraguay is that much of a backwater. It is just that this economy is very much cash-oriented. Buying things in parcels is also very popular here and although people don't speak English here, almost anyone does understand (and like) you when you say "I pay cash on the dash" to them. 

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 08:25 AM »
When living in the Netherlands I did have a bank card and that I used a lot, because it felt much more secure than a credit card. Just saying, it's not that I have too much against 'plastic', I just don't like credit cards.

Makes two of us.

Interesting that there's such a demarcation between credit and debit (i.e. bank) cards in Paraguay. Over here they're virtually interchangeable. Especially now that the transactions go through in near real time. Far from not liking debit cards, many merchants here prefer them. They pay a fee just like they do to process a credit card transaction. But the funds clear into their checking account almost immediately if the customer has sufficient funds and enters a PIN number at the time of purchase. Transactions going through the credit card process can take up to three days to appear in the merchant's account. Credit card transactions are also much easier to get reversed, so there's a greater risk to the seller if a customer decides to play games.

FWIW, I have a small checking account linked to my main account. It has it's own debit card. Anytime I want to make a purchase (especially online or via phone call), I'll transfer sufficient funds out of my main account into this account (easily done online or by old-fashioned voice phone keypad) and use its debit card to make the purchase. Unless I'm about to buy or order something, the balance in this account is kept very low. This way, even if the account becomes compromised because some seller got careless (or I did) I'm only at risk for the small 'idle' balance in the account. My main checking account remains as "anonymous" and "safe" as these things can be. (Which may not be all that much, but every little bit of extra security counts.)

And if my "for purchases" account ever does get hit, I can just close it, open a new one with it's own debit card, and be on my merry way.

One nice side effect: Because I have to transfer money onto this account to use the debit card, it greatly cuts down on impulse purchases. Sometimes that extra step makes me think twice and decide I really don't need to buy it after all. That can hardly be a bad thing. :mrgreen:
 8)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:31 AM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 04:16 PM »
When living in the Netherlands I did have a bank card and that I used a lot, because it felt much more secure than a credit card. Just saying, it's not that I have too much against 'plastic', I just don't like credit cards.

Makes two of us.

Interesting that there's such a demarcation between credit and debit (i.e. bank) cards in Paraguay. Over here they're virtually interchangeable. Especially now that the transactions go through in near real time. Far from not liking debit cards, many merchants here prefer them. They pay a fee just like they do to process a credit card transaction. But the funds clear into their checking account almost immediately if the customer has sufficient funds and enters a PIN number at the time of purchase. Transactions going through the credit card process can take up to three days to appear in the merchant's account. Credit card transactions are also much easier to get reversed, so there's a greater risk to the seller if a customer decides to play games.

FWIW, I have a small checking account linked to my main account. It has it's own debit card. Anytime I want to make a purchase (especially online or via phone call), I'll transfer sufficient funds out of my main account into this account (easily done online or by old-fashioned voice phone keypad) and use its debit card to make the purchase. Unless I'm about to buy or order something, the balance in this account is kept very low. This way, even if the account becomes compromised because some seller got careless (or I did) I'm only at risk for the small 'idle' balance in the account. My main checking account remains as "anonymous" and "safe" as these things can be. (Which may not be all that much, but every little bit of extra security counts.)

And if my "for purchases" account ever does get hit, I can just close it, open a new one with it's own debit card, and be on my merry way.

One nice side effect: Because I have to transfer money onto this account to use the debit card, it greatly cuts down on impulse purchases. Sometimes that extra step makes me think twice and decide I really don't need to buy it after all. That can hardly be a bad thing. :mrgreen:
 8)
clipped and saved.  dammit 40, i need to make a new category for your stuff in my notetakers.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 04:23 PM »
Credit card transactions are also much easier to get reversed, so there's a greater risk to the seller if a customer decides to play games.

the other side of the coin is that with a CC the customer has better protection. I've heard that if a debit card is stolen and sucessfully used, the owner is royally screwed (I dont actually know if that's true though).
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 06:07 PM »
Credit card transactions are also much easier to get reversed, so there's a greater risk to the seller if a customer decides to play games.

the other side of the coin is that with a CC the customer has better protection. I've heard that if a debit card is stolen and sucessfully used, the owner is royally screwed (I dont actually know if that's true though).

It all depends on how quickly you report it stolen or illegally used. Per the Nolo website:

Credit Cards

Your liability for unauthorized charges depends on whether the thief personally presented your card to make the purchase, or made the purchase over the Internet or by phone.
If the thief personally presents your card to make the purchase, the card issuer cannot hold you liable for more than $50 in fraudulent charges. Many card issuers waive this $50.
If the thief uses your card by phone or the Internet, you have no liability.
In either of the above situations, however, it's important to notify the card issuer as soon as you know of the theft. If you wait, the creditor may not believe that the card was really lost or stolen.

ATM and Debit Cards

With ATM or debit cards, you must act quickly in order to avoid full liability for unauthorized charges when your card is lost or stolen. Under the federal Electronic Fund Transfer Act, your liability is:

$0 if you report the loss or theft of the card immediately and the card has not been used
up to $50 if you notify the bank within two business days after you realize the card is missing
up to $500 if you fail to notify the bank within two business days after you realize the card is missing, but do notify the bank within 60 days after your bank statement is mailed to you listing the unauthorized withdrawals, or

unlimited if you fail to notify the bank within 60 days after your bank statement is mailed to you listing the unauthorized withdrawals.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 06:24 PM »
It all depends on how quickly you report it stolen or illegally used. Per the Nolo website:

better conditions than I thought. What about stolen credentials... I guess that is covered though by the last line: unlimited [liability] if you fail to notify the bank within 60 days after your bank statement is mailed to you listing the unauthorized withdrawals.
Tom