topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Hey Mouser... you still drowning in student loan debt?  (Read 8038 times)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey Mouser... you still drowning in student loan debt?
« on: April 18, 2014, 09:14 AM »
You are the first person who made me aware of this issue.  I guess it's one of those things that is usually kept private?  Here's a few horror stories.   :(

These remind me of Credit Card debt... carefully orchestrated traps waiting to be sprung.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Hey Mouser... you still drowning in student loan debt?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 09:38 AM »
I have not made a dent in my student loan debt.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 10:56 AM »
I overheard a guy talking in the library a couple weeks back.  Evidently he ran into an old friend he hadn't seen in awhile and was bringing him up to speed.  The gist of it is he got an Associates Degree, then went on to get his Bachelor's(I don't remember the discipline.)  He found he couldn't get a job and is carrying $30,000 in debt.

If I ever do manage entry into college I plan to do the minimum to maintain 1/2 student status and get some grants/aid etc..  I started applying in January and still am not at the point of registering for classes.  At this rate I'll be dead before I make it out of Freshman Year.   Unless life expectancy skyrockets soon.  :)

nickodemos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 06:44 PM »
I hate to say this but first step to being a smart adult is to know if the field your going into will pay you when you graduate. It would seem that colleges would start to limit the numbers if a field gets to large to hold the graduates but we all know that colleges are based on money. I say this not to be harsh but unless your the cream of the crop as a lawyer odds are your not going to do well. Same goes with being a dentist and then get a practice in a town of 2500 people. 17th century French poetry.

I wanted to go into IT and specialize in the security field. Sadly I realize I could not do this and have a life (at the time I was 40) since my age would be held against me. So nursing it was. Worst case there is always some position open some where even if they pay is not great, one can always move on when there is a better paying job.

I don't know mousers story but he is doing the best thing. Keeping busy and making a name for himself, till something comes up.

Notice that your a few hours away from me. Have you thought about working for a non profit? You can get paid and at same time get loan forgiveness. Same with a govt job.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 08:43 AM »
You are right about one thing.  Even Johnnie Cochran can't get you acquitted of the crime of being old. I notice the young people on campus function under the impression that it's a contagious condition.  :)

For the time being a friend found a class for me that's inexpensive and doesn't require a textbook.  Enough to get a student ID and regroup.  There's a councilor on campus who may help getting at least some part time work.  I'll also have to get onto some of those job training programs.  Some pay for classes and may even provide a stipend.

It seems like the first step takes the longest.  Maybe now I can get on a good roll.  :)

Thanks for the suggestions.  It does crack me up though when I see ads to go to such and such a school for software development.  They give the impression the IT Boom(tm) is still ongoing.  Weird.  :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 02:44 PM »
Have you thought about working for a non profit? You can get paid and at same time get loan forgiveness. Same with a govt job.

@Miles

Non-profits don't pay all that much where I am. But government jobs do pay quite well, offer very good benefits (especially medical and retirement), and have union protection. Many of the positions have some flex in the requirements to apply - and degrees aren't required for every position. Those that do have firm degree requirements often offer a "career trainee" track that can get you in at a junior level and allow you to apply for the "real" position after a year or two of on-the-job experience.

Time was when government jobs paid less but offered better security. Not any more. It's almost impossible to get laid off or fired from a regular government job in my state. And CT state jobs pay as well (and often much better) than private sector jobs with similar entry requirements.

My GF works for the state. She said the only downside is that you occasionally end up having to work with some totally useless people that cannot be fired - and will never leave government employment. Primarily because there's no place else they can get a job that pays $50K+ per year and only requires a high school diploma.

Seriously - do yourself a favor and go look at your state's website employment pages. Also be aware of the many "target candidate" considerations that can tilt the table in your favor when applying for a position. Affirmative action may be slowly disappearing. But it's not gone yet. And most government employment makes at least a token effort to maintain some level of diversity in their workforce. So if there's anything you can use to get in (age/race/gender/veteran status/disability/special hardship/etc.) - use it. Because it can work for you.

Maybe it's not the ideal way to go about securing employment - but "What price dignity when a stomach is empty?" as my grandfather used to say. I've been there - so I know.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 03:10 PM »
40, thanks for the advice.  One reason I'm thinking the next class I take should be Conversational Spanish is that it can be a deal killer if you no habla Espanole around Miami.

I feel like if I could do even some kind of Windows Help Desk then eventually I'd make contact with someone who would recognize I can do more.

Step one though is to make enough so I can get the transit pass every month, get haircuts, and keep in clean clothes.  The housing will have to come later it seems.

Bit I feel like things are moving a bit.  I do have a subsidized cell phone.

I have to bite the bullet and try doing some web pages.  That may be the fastest way to earn a hundred or two a week to start.

I appreciate all the suggestions.  :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 10:28 PM »
40, thanks for the advice.  One reason I'm thinking the next class I take should be Conversational Spanish is that it can be a deal killer if you no habla Espanole around Miami.

Excellent point, I'm like 200+ miles north of you in central FL and the need for Spanish here is becoming increasingly apparent. Which is a bit embarrassing for me considering that I'm half Portuguese and can't speak a word of it. *Shrug* I just tell people that yes, I'm Hispanic...but I'm not any good at it.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 12:50 PM »
yes, I'm Hispanic...but I'm not any good at it.
 Heh.  That's like people expected me to know Gaelic.  Especially around St. Patrick's Day.  The only reason I knew what Erin go Bragh meant was I figured it had to be "Ireland Forever" because that's what people said the most around that time.

All I know is if people at the mall aren't lollygagging it's probably because they're gallivanting.  :) Turns out I'm not very likely to have any Irish blood in me at all.  Although because I grew up in an Irish home I did get a big kick out of the movie The Guard.  But I posted about it in detail elsewhere.

When I was a mechanic I worked with 2 brothers. One was a mechanic, the other a truck tire changer/mechanic trainee.  We used to go out for a few beers after work quite often.  I remember at one restaurant someone mentioned his background saying it like "porch chew geese."  This provoked the mechanic to sit at their table and lecture them that the proper reference was "port a gee" phonetically.  At least he felt strongly enough to be willing to fight over it.  But they were from Brockton which explains it.  Anytime there was a headline in The Boston Globe with the word Brockton it was about a murder, prison break or similar.  This also annoyed these guys quite a bit.  :)

Edit:  What was interesting about the brothers was the mechanic was only about 5' 2" inches tall.  But he didn't take any crap from anyone.  His "little brother" was about 6' 2" with huge shoulders.  That's why he handled all the truck tire changes.  He was a gentle giant.  Very mellow guy. :)

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:01 PM by MilesAhead »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 01:42 PM »
gallivanting

Awesome! My grandmother's favorite word to describe what her working daughters were doing Fridays after work instead of coming home for dinner! ;D :Thmbsup:

FYI: she was a nice Canuck girl from Fall River. She married an equally nice guy from Fall River with an Anglo-Norman surname. They first met at the mill they were working in back when Fall River MA was a thriving textile center. Wasn't long before 'Anita' (Anouk actually) and 'Bill' became"an item" and decided to get married. Their respective families were absolutely mortified! A mixed marriage? How could they do that to their parents??? 

(My how times have changed huh? And in this context, very much for the better.  ;))

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 02:40 PM »
gallivanting

Awesome! My grandmother's favorite word to describe what her working daughters were doing Fridays after work instead of coming home for dinner! ;D :Thmbsup:

I still say that -with roughly the same usage as your granny. My mum used it a lot when we were growing up (Ireland). The kids today dont use it there, but I *think* they'd still understand it, mostly anyways.

PS nice little family story 40 :up:
Tom

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 03:03 PM »
I remember at one restaurant someone mentioned his background saying it like "porch chew geese."  This provoked the mechanic to sit at their table and lecture them that the proper reference was "port a gee" phonetically.

While I have heard that before - having been raised in the south... - I usually pronounce it closer to the first way (por cha geese).

But then again I also use both lollygagging and gallivanting quite frequently ... I have a rather confused heritage.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 04:44 PM »
Heh heh.  Maybe it was just an excuse to find the guys wrong about some factual info. The way I first told it made it sound like the older brother went off for no reason.  But the two guys did make some slurs.  But they were all "yes sir" and "no sir" once the older brother sat on their table.  :)

Fortunately the situation dissolved and we went back to having a good night out.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 09:15 AM »
Here's some current statistical information from Pew Research about student debt and its socio-economic effects.

Read it and weep.