topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Off topic but does anhyone know wherei can get a Guaranted real JAVA installer  (Read 3162 times)

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Fighting Slime all the Time
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This just happened last week and I have not yet found a solution.
Apparently there is a new Java Updater Exploit.  (as if there were not enough of them already)
It was not caught by AVAST nor Bit Defender or any other AV that the people who got it were using.
It may be by now but too little, too late.
Now I have to find a way to get rid of the BAD copy and replace it with a good one.
Sounds easy enough but if using a browser that is already infected it redirects you back to another infected copy.

The fact that the update was only 800kb you would think would have set off someone's alarms but most people (Just People)
never even look at that.  If the site LOOKS real (and it did  Very real).  They just go for it.

Now I need a way to get them back to clean.  Only when I ask Google for a "Clean copy of Java" you get 100 sites that offer to give you NOT clean copies.

If you go to JAVA, they try their best to install it JUST for you.  Which may or may not be the best idea.  But either way  it isn't ME that has the problem.

If I send the link to the download to the people with the BAD copy, as soon as they enter it into their browser it is redirected to the Infected copy. and the cycle begins again.
except now they blame ME for giving it to them. :mad:

Any options would be appreciated.

Even if I just knew for 100% sure I could tell them to UNINSTALL Java and NEVER put it back.   :tellme:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Now I have to find a way to get rid of the BAD copy and replace it with a good one.
Sounds easy enough but if using a browser that is already infected it redirects you back to another infected copy.

You/they/someone has to find a way to get rid of whatever it was that was installed - and to be very sure that it's gone.
Then you wont be getting redirected anymore. And removing Java completely might be a good idea: I lived without it for most of a year without problems. (Some sites do need it though, some software too.)
Tom

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
When using anything from Oracle, you'll not escape Java. :-(

However, there is where you need to go to get the original installers/patches/upgrades for anything Java-related, I'm afraid.

www.oracle.com will get you there.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Did you check the Jave manual download page?  Download the offline installer and at least you'll have it ready.  (32 and 64 bit versions, get one of each.  :P)
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If you have (or fear you have) a totally compromised system, your safest bet is to obtain and boot from any one of those "live" Linux CDs.

Since you're not running Windows once you do, you'll have a fully functioning computer that should be totally immune to virtually anything Windows is vulnerable to.

Once in Linux, download whatever Java installers you need from the official download site at:  http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Save the downloads to a USB key. Those should completely untainted and ready for installation.

Luck! :Thmbsup: