topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows 9 plan to repair the damage done by Windows 8  (Read 3306 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Windows 9 plan to repair the damage done by Windows 8
« on: January 13, 2014, 04:29 PM »
I stand by my often repeated statement that the only explanation for Microsoft behavior is that it has been deeply penetrated by moles designed to destroy the company from within.  Until they root these out, there is no hope..

In some ways, the most interesting thing about Threshold is how it recasts Windows 8 as the next Vista. It's an acknowledgment that what came before didn't work, and didn't resonate with customers. And though Microsoft will always be able to claim that Windows 9 wouldn't have been possible without the important foundational work they had done first with Windows 8 - just as was the case with Windows 7 and Windows Vista - there's no way to sugarcoat this. Windows 8 has set back Microsoft, and Windows, by years, and possibly for good.

Screenshot - 1_13_2014 , 4_24_25 PM_thumb001.png

Original article: http://winsupersite....ws-9-ship-april-2015
OsNews comments: http://www.osnews.co...9_ship_in_April_2015

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 9 plan to repair the damage done by Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 04:49 PM »
There's a very simple explanation.  There's a switch in the market (look at the number of PC's shipped thread) and Microsoft is trying to hold off assaults on all sides while having no concrete battle plan, but just throwing things at the wall to see what works.

As far as the no hope and the setting back windows for good mantra- I still have my same reply that I did in that thread; until there's a contender to the throne, that's just FUD in some cases, and hopeful thinking in others.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 9 plan to repair the damage done by Windows 8
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 05:04 PM »
yeah,
it's funny how little common sense a corporation can have....

Yet, I think it really needs very little done to make it a much more usable experience (I rarely use my win8 laptop..) It was just too aggressively rub-our-noses-in-it for the desktop (even if it were a touch screen desktop).

From one of the comments from the original article:
WRowland            on Jan 11, 2014
[...] all the really good things it sounds like W9 will fix - more unified development across the whole ecosystem, metro windows (turning it into being able to do mobile on a PC instead of trying to dumb down the PC by forcing it into mobile), etc.
(my emphasis)
Tom