topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Scrivener at 50% off  (Read 28636 times)

wraith808

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Scrivener at 50% off
« on: January 07, 2014, 06:43 PM »
For completing my renegade NaNoWriMo project, one of the items I received was a Scrivener coupon.  I already have it (used it during NaNoWriMo actually), so if you're a writer (and an active member of DC at my discretion) PM me, and the first one gets the coupon.  The coupon expires on the 30th.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Scrivener at 50% off
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 07:31 PM »
Really cool program (know it from reading about it here and elsewhere), not a writer so won't ask because there are more deserving people but  :up: nonetheless

p_culhane

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Hi,

I'm a budding writer and would appreciate the code if you still have it.  I currently have Scrivener on trial and the discount will be a big help.

Hope I'm not to late.

Patrick

wraith808

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 06:26 PM »
Sorry, this giveaway is for active members of DC as stated in my post above.

p_culhane

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 06:41 PM »
Sorry but I am new to this and thought that active just meant registering.  Thanks for the reply and I understand.  At least it's help me find this site.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 04:44 AM »
Sorry but I am new to this and thought that active just meant registering.  Thanks for the reply and I understand.  At least it's help me find this site.

welcome to the site p_culhane :up:

I considered asking about this myself but not actively writing and dont see it happening in the near future...
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 05:51 AM »
@ p_cuthane - Welcome to DoCo. We have one member who has published, and several of us have similar aspirations. Good to see another writer join the company. Hope to see more of you around here. :)

wraith808

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 08:57 AM »
Sorry but I am new to this and thought that active just meant registering.  Thanks for the reply and I understand.  At least it's help me find this site.

Sorry if the answer was a bit short... I was short on time and didn't want to not answer. :)

Glad to have you onboard, and hope to see you around in the future!  Take a look at the intro thread, and introduce yourself over there.

I considered asking about this myself but not actively writing and dont see it happening in the near future...

There's a couple of you in that boat :)  If you feel like you'll have need, at this point, I'd say quit being shy :)  Having the tool might inspire the next great novel!

...and it's taken!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 10:43 AM by wraith808 »

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 04:24 AM »
I took it, but gave it back :) Please feel free to PM Wraith. Wraith: thanks for the generous offer.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 05:00 AM »
FWIW, I did think about it again wraith, but I'm no novel writer. I mean it's actually overkill for what I want to do/write (I wouldnt make use of those great compiling features). My pim is more suitable for me (so I've no excuses for *not* writing!)
Tom

peter.s

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 11:12 AM »
"I took it, but gave it back smiley"

Now THIS is interesting stuff!

Would you condescend to comment?
When the wise points to the moon, the moron just looks at his pointer. China.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 12:27 PM »

I've semi-seriously played with an eval copy of Scrivener (did a quick very-short story in it), and it looked promising. Nice interface and easy on the eyes. I've seen worse writer's software. And there's nothing I found I couldn't live with in Scrivener. It's multi-platform support was also a real big plus for me since I so often straddle operating systems.

BTW - if you're a Linux user, there's a public beta available (with a license that expires December 1, 2014) here. The DEB package installs in Mint 16 like a charm. Appears to be solid - but the usual caveats with any beta apply...

scrivner.pngScrivener at 50% off

"It's an interesting app if it's the sort of app you'd be interested in" to paraphrase Lincoln.  ;) ;D

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:36 PM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 04:33 PM »
"I took it, but gave it back smiley"

Now THIS is interesting stuff!

Would you condescend to comment?

Interesting... how?  And what comment are you looking for?  On the product, or on the statement?

Urlwolf had expressed interest in the code, so I marked the giveaway as closed- but then he stated he didn't want to use it so 'gave it back'.  Not really sure from the 'condescend' (patronize?) in the statement towards what you wanted comments. 

It appears that English might not be your native language, so there might just be a misunderstanding of your phrasing?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
GHacks have Scrivener discounted at 50% and a further 10% off retail US$40.
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 03:05 PM »
I was a bit late to spot this on the GHacks blog.
Be warned: I was delayed a couple of days as the purchase site was consistently unable to complete the deal - simply would not work using Firefox, or Google Chrome (Canary), or IE11(64-bit), or IE11(x86), even with AdBlock etc. turned off. Their Support site response to my query was to suggest I tried a different browser and  with AdBlock etc. turned off ...    :huh:
Anyway, I finally got it to work today using the Microsoft Edge browser (this is all using Win10-64 Pro).

Scrivener is currently on offer via GHacks at 51% discount + extra 10% if you sign up for GHacks' newsletter - refer Scrivener 1.8.6 for PC
Details:
  • Offer is only open for 2 or 3 days more.
  • Scrivener v1.8.6 for PC or Mac.
  • Price:                                                   US$40.00
  • Discounted price after 51% discount:      US$19.50
  • Less GHacks promo code 10% discount: -US$1.95
  • Net price:                                              US$17.55

Alternatively, if you use this referral link to buy the licence, you will get the 51% discount and I might get $10.00 credit towards my next purchase via GHacks: https://deals.ghacks.net/?rid=2312009

By the way Scrivener Download for Windows is an 83.4MB installer file.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 03:44 PM by IainB, Reason: Added file download size. »

wraith808

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 03:15 PM »
It's 56% off on Cult of Mac right now: https://deals.cultof...om/sales/scrivener-2

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 08:10 AM »
It's 56% off on Cult of Mac right now

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2015, 01:06 PM »
@IainB - thx for sharing. I've been meaning to buy an additional copy for some time now. (I went through your referral link so hopefully they'll send you that credit.)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 01:10 PM »
@40hz: Thanks for the $ "boost"!    :Thmbsup:

By the way, what the heck is your avatar image ("Post-It" note) saying? I can't read it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 02:40 PM »
@40hz: Thanks for the $ "boost"!    :Thmbsup:

By the way, what the heck is your avatar image ("Post-It" note) saying? I can't read it.

Nothing even slightly clever I'm afraid. Just 40hz repeated over and over. Can't find my old turtle petroglyph avatar so I just did up that piece of non-art quickly for what I'm currently using. Force of habit from the 'old days' when a forum avatar (where I used to hang) indicated you were active - as opposed to "registered but not regularly participating." That was to give others on my old BBS (now long gone) an indication that any unanswered PM, or lack of response to a "discussion thread" (now known as a forum post) wasn't a snub.

Probably nobody does that anymore. But old habits die hard.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 04:02 PM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 02:53 PM »

* wraith808 raises hand

Some people still do.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 04:12 PM »

* wraith808 raises hand

Some people still do.

Well there ya go, Iain! I'm not the only one it appears who dates back to when v.42bis 56Kbit fax/modems ruled the earth. (Fidonet + QModem Rule!)

@Wraith - just noticed the Mod 5-block under your handle. Was that always - or is it something more recent? If recent, congrats!

wraith808

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2015, 04:33 PM »
@Wraith - just noticed the Mod 5-block under your handle. Was that always - or is it something more recent? If recent, congrats!

It's just for the Found Deals and Discounts section - I was silly and tried to take over the Shareware Discounts.  Found out that too many providers either want everything said on the board about them in the 'nice' category, had decided that they didn't want to give discounts, or wanted some other kickback.  Or just preferred to ignore me.  :-[

It's a lot more work than it should have to be running the discounts and giveaways.  There are some good eggs out there, but once you've exhausted those, what are you left with?