topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking For Realtime Graphical Folder Size Monitor w/ User-Configurable Updates  (Read 6318 times)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have a very slow laptop and installing s/w is a major ordeal.  It literally takes a whole day sometimes.  I cannot afford any upgrades at this time.  Therefore I am looking for a folder size monitor that will graphically display the size of a folder which will have a user-definable update interval and can be switched to be kept on top of other windows, if necessary.

Can this be coded in AHK (I might try to build it myself *if* it is simple)?

Are there already s/w (hopefully freeware) that will do what I want?  I tried doing a search, but was overwhelmed and got really confused and frustrated (happens more often lately).

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 12:52 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If it didn't need to be graphical:
https://www.donation....msg291198#msg291198

I could probably add an option to keep the window on top.

BTW, "realtime" and "user-defined" seem a bit mutually exclusive to me  :)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If it didn't need to be graphical:
https://www.donation....msg291198#msg291198
I can live without graphics.  FolMon's present display should be adequate.  Trialing it as we speak, but having issues (see "FolMon" thread).

I could probably add an option to keep the window on top.
That would be appreciated.  :)

BTW, "realtime" and "user-defined" seem a bit mutually exclusive to me  :)
I'm sure this was clever and informative, but I don't understand? I have a gimpy noodle sometimes. :-[

Thanks for the help.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Generally speaking:
Real-time means that the software is continuously busy updating whatever info it generates, without (a need for) user interaction. Windows services are a good example of real-time software.

Software that uses user specified intervals is by definition not real-time.

There is software that uses a mix-and-match of these concepts (of course), but explaining that is out of the scope from the question.   :P

Crap, I forgot to mention the software I use to find out where all the space on my hard disks goes. SpaceSniffer gives a nice graphical overview and uses  (some) windows explorer functionality to clean up disks. I like the graphical concept it uses. It doesn't support user intervals per se, but together with the Windows Task scheduler there should be options.

Try it and see for yourself, it's a 1.5MByte download and freeware.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 02:52 PM by Shades »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Shades - Thanks for the explanation.  Looks like I wanted to paint the *whole* house white with the option to paint different parts another color.  Tolja I had a gimpy brain.  It gets creative at times.   :-[
Also, thanks for the link.  I'll check it out.   

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There's also WizTree, while not as graphical as SpaceSniffer makes up for it by being ridiculously fast.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
-my vote (also) goes to WizTree because of the speed. The first time I launched (the portable version of) WizTree, I was annoyed that I could only chose an entire drive, instead of merely a directory - I thought it would take too long. Faster than it took to think the sentence, WizTree had already scanned the entire C drive! It really is like 4wd said, ridiculously fast - and merely 1½ MB!

:up:

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
There is also ShowSize in this category. It's not free, but it's graphical, and there is a trial version.