topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Issues in Windows 8.0 and 8.1 migration  (Read 6027 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Issues in Windows 8.0 and 8.1 migration
« on: November 06, 2013, 07:37 AM »
To be, or not to be...

On 2013-02-01, for $49.99, I bought Windows8 Pro Upgrade. However, I have held off installing it due to the advent of Win8.1.
After reading this: How to uninstall Windows 8.1 | How To - CNET, I have to admit to being a little uncertain.
I would be interested in the advice/experiences of DCF members regarding this migration.
My current OS is Win7-64 Home Premium, Build 7601.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 04:39 PM by IainB, Reason: Minor edit. »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Issues in Windows 8.0 and 8.1 migration
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 09:31 AM »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 10:17 AM »
This post from Darwin is not so positive about it - he was happy with 8 (upgraded) but 8.1 seemed to be a disaster:

Here's my list of issues:
Re: So-called upgrades that ruin good programs

this thread would also be relevant to 8.1:
How to avoid creating/using a Microsoft Account when upgrading to Win 8.1
Tom

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 11:53 AM »
Both of my primary machines (work & home) are still running Windows 7.

I have a laptop that sits by my chair in the living room incase I want to lookup or check something while watching TV. While this is relatively light usage, it is done at a time when I have very little (read 0) patients for taking crap out of an appliance (e.g. Couch potato = retarded vegetable with eyes), and it has performed its function quite well. It wakes quickly, connects, and does what it is told before the commercials are over and the show is back on.

I also have (or rather had) an HP ElitePad 900 tablet, but it self bricked a few (okay several) weeks back and HP is dragging their feet getting it resuscitated. Seems a part that they couldn't identify was on backorder for an indeterminate period of time ... But they were going to call me back (with yet another thrilling update) in 5 business days with an update...about 2 weeks ago.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 04:40 PM »
Did you see this thread ? : https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=32883.0
Thanks @Ath. No, I had not seen that particular one.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 05:02 AM »
Well, so far, there seem to be some really indifferent experiences with Win 8.0 and some bad experiences with Win 8.1 (I thought Win 8.1 was supposed to overcome the Win 8.0 limitations?).
Many people on this forum and others seem to be holding back and staying with Win 7 (those that want a Windows OS, anyway).
I think I'll just keep the migration on ice for a while and see how things pan out for Win 8.1 or maybe 8.2.
I only bought the Win 8.0 because the special price was about to run out, and so I thought I'd get it in anticipation of installing it at some later stage. But that stage is not now.
I am usually an early adopter of technology that looks useful, but not of OSes. You can end up investing a mountain of unproductive time in an OS, if it flaky.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 07:54 AM »
My 2 cents:

I bought a new PC, Win 8 preinstalled, when my desktop box suddenly crashed and burned. I had not played with it before, and I found it awkward, unintuitive and undiscoverable. However, with the addition of a start menu program (Start8 in my case though Classic Shell works well too) and some other settings, I'm happy now -- basically because it stays in the Desktop (Win 7) interface.

To this point, there is nothing that I have found in the Metro/Modern interface that is uniquely useful enough to me to make me switch to that interface. If I had a touchscreen I would rethink - but I don't. Basically, like a lot of other software, Win 8 works great for me, and it has "features" that I don't take advantage of.

Value judgement: I had two PCs for my kids recent enough that I could get the 9.95 upgrade price. Did not take advantage of it for either.

Regarding 8.1, Darwin's post scared me off (and that accursed "Please upgrade! Drop on by the Windows Store now!" blue bar across my desktop has popped up several times so far).   :o
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 10:32 AM »
Regarding 8.1, Darwin's post scared me off (and that accursed "Please upgrade! Drop on by the Windows Store now!" blue bar across my desktop has popped up several times so far).

Tomos posted a link to this in another thread:

To disable the message run regedit, go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\UpgradeNotification

and change the value UpgradeAvailable from 1 to 0 or remove the Update KB2885699.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 10:38 AM »
Thanks - it hadn't gotten annoying enough to make me do the edit yet, but would have soon!
vi vi vi - editor of the beast