topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Lavabit & Silent Circle Bring You ==> DARKMAIL  (Read 7124 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Lavabit & Silent Circle Bring You ==> DARKMAIL
« on: November 02, 2013, 08:46 AM »
Profound implications. Privacy brought to you by people that have proven themselves.

http://www.darkmail.info/

logoDMA.png

Privacy Innovators

Silent Circle and Lavabit are developing a new way to do email with end-to-end encryption. We welcome like-minded organizations to join our alliance.

Our Mission

To bring the world our unique end-to-end encrypted protocol and architecture that is the 'next-generation' of private and secure email. As founding partners of The Dark Mail Alliance, both Silent Circle and Lavabit will work to bring other members into the alliance, assist them in implementing the new protocol and jointly work to proliferate the worlds first end-to-end encrypted 'Email 3.0' throughout the world's email providers. Our goal is to open source the protocol and architecture and help others implement this new technology to address privacy concerns against surveillance and back door threats of any kind.

More at the site.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Lavabit & Silent Circle Bring You ==> DARKMAIL
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 06:12 PM »
Might be relevant, new article critiquing some of the practices of the original Lavabit:

http://arstechnica.c...critique-of-lavabit/

"Op-ed: Lavabit’s primary security claim wasn’t actually true Ladar Levison stood up for users' privacy—but perhaps a little too late."

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 06:29 PM »
It's also relevant to read the comments that poke holes in the premise of the article, i.e.

http://arstechnica.c...=1&post=25630755

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 06:31 PM »
Also, one thing I found while reading the comments was ThreadThat.  Has anyone used/heard of this service?

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 07:49 PM »
Also, one thing I found while reading the comments was ThreadThat.  Has anyone used/heard of this service?

A big problem is that with say 12 layers to the internet, it's gonna be REAL hard for even average techies like me to figure out "where the trust is". xkcd's Wrench Solution comes to mind. Those forces at the gates are getting bolder, and one day, someone has the info, and will break.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 09:35 PM »
I don't get where the comment is related to the service?  :huh:

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 02:16 AM »
I don't get where the comment is related to the service?  :huh:

Because I'm in someone's target victory of "I will never trust any service ever again to be "dark". Period. "The best I can hope for is a social revolution or to die in my sleep", to borrow a song.

My cryptic reference was to the xkcd comment of:
Nerd1: "Look, 'Silent Circle and Lavabit are developing a new way to do email with end-to-end encryption.' "

But then see stuff like Mouser's note 4 posts above:
'Op-ed: Lavabit’s primary security claim wasn’t actually true Ladar Levison stood up for users' privacy—but perhaps a little too late.'

There's your primary conflict. I don't care what gorgeous bitcoin-enabled 512-bit-key security-through-the-roof system you have, because somewhere, someone, knows how it works and if "they" stick that fella on a stupid fifty dollar piece of molten steel heated to 2668 degrees until he breaks and spills the details, then none of it matters.

That's what Edward Snowden taught us, and that's the message of "SnowdenGate". Because all of these systems were supposed to be secure. Sure they could raid your house and subpoena stuff, but it wasn't really supposed to be auto-there wholesale from AT&T's Room 538.

Not unlike BitCoin: Some clever math there, but we're just starting to see its endgame, and there are two endings. A genius IQ 188 marketing plan where the first X fellas with easy to mine early bitcoins who can cash in can/are making a killing, and not only is it now almost impossible to mine a new coin, the Feds are on the edge of shutting all of it down, making it this century's Dutch Tulips again. That second movement is an "xkcd moment" - skip the math, pass a couple laws, invoke a couple older ones, and start applying bully force until someone caves in.

That's the real warning of that comic panel.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 08:14 AM »
I was just asking if anyone had ever used it.  That's a big part of why I don't get how it was related to the service or the comment- but just seemed like random commentary.  :-\

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 12:34 PM »
Follow-up article on Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.c...ographers-criticism/

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 12:51 PM »
Thanks for posting that.  A lot of what was said was in the comments, but it was good of Levinson to comment.  It should also shut up the trolls who said that he should be sued for false advertising.