topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Be Tiny, World! release for Android, PC, Mac, and Linux.  (Read 14631 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Be Tiny, World! release for Android, PC, Mac, and Linux.
« on: September 16, 2013, 03:07 PM »
Hi folks,

In April 2012 I participated in the Ludum Dare 23 72-hour game jam and made a game called "Be Tiny, World!" within 72 hours. I'm not particularly proud of the result but it was a fun little exercise and I enjoyed the challenge of making a complete game within 72 hours.

Since the challenge, I used Be Tiny, World! as an opportunity to try my hand at porting a game to Android, and shortly thereafter made an Android release. And over the months I've occasionally made some improvements (mostly to the Android version) to the otherwise simple, dumb game that it is.

Recently Google launched their Google Play Game services to provide things like Cloud Saves, Leaderboards, Achievements, and Multiplayer. Once again I was itching to test some of these things out so I used Be Tiny, World! as the guinea pig this past weekend and added achievements and leaderboards to the Android version of the game, and in the process I also made some minor improvements to the desktop version of the game, and additionally, there is now a Linux build of the game available.

So for anyone who would like to try out the nifty new achievements and leaderboards on Android, you can get the game either from Google Play or a direct APK download here (using Google Play or the Google Play Games Services is completely optional). And for those of you folks who use Linux, I'd appreciate if you gave it a try and reported any bugs, since this is the first release available on Linux. The desktop builds for PC/Mac/Linux can be found on the Be Tiny, World! website:

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 11:16 AM by Deozaan, Reason: use https links »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Be Tiny, World! release for Android, PC, Mac, and Linux.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 05:09 AM »
i remember this game from its previous incarnation. cool time-killer while waiting for the bus. :up:

btw, apk download only leads to an embedded unity-player page. am i missing something?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 11:39 AM »
btw, apk download only leads to an embedded unity-player page. am i missing something?

The link to the APK download in the post above should take you to the Game's "official page" which has links to download it for desktop or Android devices. Look for the giant QR codes. :Thmbsup:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 10:51 PM »
i guess something is wrong with my browser then. this is what i see.

Spoiler

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 01:04 AM »
What's the URL that you're going to? :huh:

EDIT:

I see what I did. I accidentally replaced the index.html file with the webplayer file, but it was still cached on my system. The link should work now (if you clear your cache).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 01:23 AM by Deozaan »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 08:14 PM »
it works now! :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 08:21 PM »
Cool I'm glad it works. I've done some more work on the game since I originally made this post, and now there's a fairly significant graphics upgrade:

2013-09-18 19.38.55.jpg

2013-09-18 19.37.33.jpg

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 01:30 AM »
Linux version runs great, Deo.  Too bad I keep crashing into the tiny worlds because I have to start shooting at a big world coming my way...  :'(

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 02:23 AM »
Linux version runs great, Deo.  Too bad I keep crashing into the tiny worlds because I have to start shooting at a big world coming my way...  :'(

Glad to hear it runs well on Linux! Out of curiosity, which distro are you running it on and is it 32 or 64-bit? Also, did you happen to get v1.130919.13?

I haven't posted about it here (or anywhere, for that matter) because I just barely got it built and uploaded to my site and then I've been away from the PC all day and haven't had a chance. But I added a "Kid Mode" to the game, which gives you a little drone that shoots at planets in the latest version that might help make things easier for you. ;)

2013-09-19 02.42.07.jpg

Notable changes in v1.130919.13:

• Kid Mode
  • More music during gameplay
  • Fixed music playing before loading volume settings (which could cause sounds even when volume is at 0%)
  • Fixed really large worlds spawning immediately on screen (as opposed to spawning off screen and slowly coming into the viewport)
  • More leaderboards/achievements (Android only)
  • Other bugfixes and tweaks.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 04:54 PM by Deozaan »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 02:47 AM »
BTW Version 1.130917.12

I added a "Kid Mode" to the game, which gives you a little drone that shoots at planets in the latest version that might help make things easier for you. ;)

Actually, I liked the challenge of having to avoid a world you already made tiny provides.  It's like a 'bonus' difficulty.  Don't know if you had that in mind when you coded it, but it works.  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 04:54 PM by Deozaan, Reason: fixed formatting »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 03:06 PM »
BTW Version 1.130917.12

That's right! I never got the latest builds uploaded because as I was uploading the builds I decided to check how much space I was using on my host to make sure I wasn't going over my limit and I noticed some strange trends with storage and bandwidth. After some research I found out that spambots got access to a subdomain wiki on my site and created a zillion spam pages and I was trying to take care of that when I got pulled away from my PC. But now I've uploaded the latest builds so you're welcome to try it out if you'd like.

I added a "Kid Mode" to the game, which gives you a little drone that shoots at planets in the latest version that might help make things easier for you. ;)

Actually, I liked the challenge of having to avoid a world you already made tiny provides.  It's like a 'bonus' difficulty.  Don't know if you had that in mind when you coded it, but it works.  :Thmbsup:

Yeah, that was part of the idea. The smaller they get, the harder they are to hit, and the easier they are to lose in the particle effects and accidentally crash into them if you're not careful. :) The other, more obvious part of the challenge is that the planets get bigger and bigger over time.

Even in Kid Mode, it eventually becomes somewhat of a challenge to survive due to the size of the planets.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 05:04 PM by Deozaan »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 11:58 PM »
these are some screenies from my phone.

Spoiler
1Screenshot_2013-09-19-15-36-42.png

2Screenshot_2013-09-19-15-36-35.png

3Screenshot_2013-09-19-15-36-57.png

4Screenshot_2013-09-19-15-36-04.png

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 05:09 PM »
I made another update to this game. It's come to a place I'm pretty happy with, considering where it started. Heck, even a week ago when I made the original post in this thread I said I wasn't very proud of the result. But with the work I've done on it in the past week, I do feel pleased with what it's become.

So if it interests you, check out the latest version: Be Tiny, World! v1.130921.14

Some details about the most recent changes here: https://blog.deozaan...-130921-14-released/
Download the game here: https://btw.deozaan.com/
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 11:15 AM by Deozaan, Reason: use https links »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 10:40 PM »
I recently found out about https://itch.io/ which is a nice little marketplace for indie developers to sell their products. So I put a page up for Be Tiny, World!

https://deozaan.itch.io/btw

Of course, the game is still free to download straight from my website (or even from itch.io), but it has a Pay What You Want thing going for it on itch.io.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 11:15 AM by Deozaan, Reason: use https links »