topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:50 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Notescribe not taking software - request for reviews  (Read 14026 times)

jpm2112

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Notescribe not taking software - request for reviews
« on: May 07, 2008, 03:11 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm rather new here still, but have a few questions concerning reviews and the software that I am currently marketing called NoteScribe, which is a note-taking software developed mostly for students, but for home and business use as well. We are a rather new company, and it's been difficult to get reviews done on our program with it being such a big software world out there. I was wondering if anyone on here does any sort of blog reviews, or reviews anywhere and would be willing to do one for our program? I know there is a large section on note-taking already covered on this site, but it would be greatly appreciated if someone could do a few blurbs about our program and website to give us a hand.

Please check us out at www.NoteScribe.net where you can download a 30-day free trial. If you have any other questions about us, please let me know. Thanks everyone!

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Notescribe not taking software - request for reviews
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 03:20 PM »
Well, DC did  Notetaking Software Roundup #1, maybe in the next #2 notescribe could be reviewed?  Actually new softwares are hitting the market constantly, it would be great if we have round #2.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 03:37 PM by kartal »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 03:30 PM »
Yeah, it seems I was a lot less busy two years ago when I did that review.  Things have changed so much since then in the note-taking world.  Evernote went Web 2.0...SQLNotes emerged as an amazing utility.  I would say that that Roundup I did isn't even particularly useful anymore since it's so out of date.

NoteScribe looks interesting.  If I get a chance, I would love to fiddle around with it and give my comments.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 05:49 PM »
I've test run a lot of notetaking/text editing software and, for my own use, settled on TreeDBNotes. I have even thought about doing some sort of summary, but I don't really have the time to be systematic with it. So I'm not as interested in looking at new programs as I was (since I don't have the same personal need as before) but am still somewhat interested. However, there is no free version so any work put into it during the trial is lost without a purchase. And I notice from Softpedia that there is a nag screen. Altogether that is just enough to stop me even downloading it to have a look.

The USP appears to be the source editor with formatting styles and I would have a look if I felt I needed that (would need a lot of convincing to go with a program for that though; at the very least would need to know about the database being used and export/import options).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 06:00 PM »
There cannot be both a trial period and a nag screen. I will not try this program.

--

But then again, I don't do reviews, do I...   :-[   ;D

jpm2112

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 09:40 AM »
Yeah, it seems I was a lot less busy two years ago when I did that review.  Things have changed so much since then in the note-taking world.  Evernote went Web 2.0...SQLNotes emerged as an amazing utility.  I would say that that Roundup I did isn't even particularly useful anymore since it's so out of date.

NoteScribe looks interesting.  If I get a chance, I would love to fiddle around with it and give my comments.

It was a great, and comprehensive review! I could see it hard to find the time to do something like that again. It is a rapidly changing world too, we're doing our best to keep up with everything that is going on, but in a way, we've realized that some will like one program, some will like another. (And then some don't like a nag screen. :))

If you do get a chance to play around with it, we would love to hear your feedback. You did a great job on the last round-up and it would be great to see what you think.

Thank you to everyone else that checked us out!

jpm2112

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 09:43 AM »
I've test run a lot of notetaking/text editing software and, for my own use, settled on TreeDBNotes. I have even thought about doing some sort of summary, but I don't really have the time to be systematic with it. So I'm not as interested in looking at new programs as I was (since I don't have the same personal need as before) but am still somewhat interested. However, there is no free version so any work put into it during the trial is lost without a purchase. And I notice from Softpedia that there is a nag screen. Altogether that is just enough to stop me even downloading it to have a look.

The USP appears to be the source editor with formatting styles and I would have a look if I felt I needed that (would need a lot of convincing to go with a program for that though; at the very least would need to know about the database being used and export/import options).

Database-wise, I'm not sure what you're asking. Could you elaborate?

As far as export/import, you can export your notes as .rtf to be used, edited, or integrated with external programs. You can also print directly from NoteScribe. The importing function only imports NoteScribe files (for now...), and is for use in importing notes from a fellow NoteScribe user. It's very cool actually. If you are collaborating on a project, we have an import screen that shows the differences between your note and a newer version of your note if someone modified it.

Additionally, I take it everyone on here hates a nag screen? :) Is that something we should get rid of?

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 10:12 AM »
Additionally, I take it everyone on here hates a nag screen? :) Is that something we should get rid of?
Some programs that offer a free version (crippleware?) have a nag screen (at least on occasion) to promote the paid version. Not popular, but semi-acceptable as an exchange for the free version. Many people will still not use them though because of the irritation.

Some programs have a trial period and then permit the program to continue to be used without registration - but with a nag screen coming up every time. No-one can really argue about it because they shouldn't be using it at all after the trial had run out. I definitely see this as acceptable/generous.

Having a nag screen come up during a trial period is something I see as unacceptable and I would recommend getting it out of the program.

Even more important probably in your marketplace since the completely free version of TreeDBNotes offers a lot of the functionality of NoteScribe, as do many other alternatives, and you don't really want to irritate potential customers. OTOH, many/most potential customers are probably not aware of the alternatives out there.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 10:26 AM »
Database-wise, I'm not sure what you're asking. Could you elaborate?

As far as export/import, you can export your notes as .rtf to be used, edited, or integrated with external programs.

I expect a prog like this to have import/export options for text etc.

The database issue is a big one. It doesn't really matter for text/notes because there are lots of ways of dealing with that. It does matter for info that you would never want to retype and where you want certainty of future access to the data all in the right fields. It is one of the main things I look at for any database prog. It is never possible to predict which progs will come to an end and there is always the risk of being left high and dry; much less likely for very popular progs because someone will be likely to produce a means of moving the data to a still current prog.

Many progs are founded on a mainstream database engine rather than their own in-program option. For instance IdImager has options based on SQLite and SQLserver (and used to have an option based on Access's Jet engine). This gives extra confidence that the data will be readable & managable in in the future. If this is the case, it is nice to know what the engine is (and will give an idea of strengths, weaknesses and scalability).

Whether this is true or not, it is reassuring to be able to export the database in a format that can be read by other progs. Just as an way of avoiding the data being left up a blind alley.

The info in NoteScribe that seems to require that protection is the citations/sources, and probably the linkage between text, sources and attachments.

All the progs I rely on a lot have the ability to export their databases in fairly common formats. Otherwise I would never have considered them.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 10:49 AM »
Import export is a must. One of the things it should be able to do is importing multiple files as info nodes or titles with options. For example I use Wikipad at the moment, if I need to move to another program I would need software to import my data otherwise there would not be any point of moving top another software because I already have alot of data in my wikipad database. Luckily wikipad uses text format so I can even browse my files with notepad.

jpm2112

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 12:04 PM »
Some programs that offer a free version (crippleware?) have a nag screen (at least on occasion) to promote the paid version. Not popular, but semi-acceptable as an exchange for the free version. Many people will still not use them though because of the irritation.

Some programs have a trial period and then permit the program to continue to be used without registration - but with a nag screen coming up every time. No-one can really argue about it because they shouldn't be using it at all after the trial had run out. I definitely see this as acceptable/generous.

Having a nag screen come up during a trial period is something I see as unacceptable and I would recommend getting it out of the program.

Even more important probably in your marketplace since the completely free version of TreeDBNotes offers a lot of the functionality of NoteScribe, as do many other alternatives, and you don't really want to irritate potential customers. OTOH, many/most potential customers are probably not aware of the alternatives out there.

You're right, a nag screen is definitely not something worth losing people. I will talk to our programmer about getting that modified.

Thanks for the heads up about TreeDBNotes. I downloaded and checked it out, and it has a few features that we lack, and lacks a few that we have. I see what you mean though. If someone can get something similar for free, we probably should dispose of a constant nag.

jpm2112

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 12:06 PM »
I expect a prog like this to have import/export options for text etc.

The database issue is a big one. It doesn't really matter for text/notes because there are lots of ways of dealing with that. It does matter for info that you would never want to retype and where you want certainty of future access to the data all in the right fields. It is one of the main things I look at for any database prog. It is never possible to predict which progs will come to an end and there is always the risk of being left high and dry; much less likely for very popular progs because someone will be likely to produce a means of moving the data to a still current prog.

Many progs are founded on a mainstream database engine rather than their own in-program option. For instance IdImager has options based on SQLite and SQLserver (and used to have an option based on Access's Jet engine). This gives extra confidence that the data will be readable & managable in in the future. If this is the case, it is nice to know what the engine is (and will give an idea of strengths, weaknesses and scalability).

Whether this is true or not, it is reassuring to be able to export the database in a format that can be read by other progs. Just as an way of avoiding the data being left up a blind alley.

The info in NoteScribe that seems to require that protection is the citations/sources, and probably the linkage between text, sources and attachments.

All the progs I rely on a lot have the ability to export their databases in fairly common formats. Otherwise I would never have considered them.

OK, I follow you. We've got that covered as long as I fully understood what you wrote.

peter.s

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 03:54 PM »
Shifted elsewhere.
When the wise points to the moon, the moron just looks at his pointer. China.