topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:47 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: A Proposal for Improving Quality of News-Related Threads  (Read 16896 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A Proposal for Improving Quality of News-Related Threads
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 05:21 AM »
I still think something other than a discussion forum would be a better way to accomplish something like that. But maybe that's mostly me.

I agree there presumably are better ways to accomplish a collection of links, yet I think the idea here is simply to add to, or facilitate, the discussion.

I think Renegade's addition of the links to the Encryption thread can only (?) be seen as an improvement :up:
Tom

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 09:46 AM »
I think Renegade's addition of the links to the Encryption thread can only (?) be seen as an improvement :up:

I tried to not editorialize the links much. That will be an issue though, but I don't think it will be very important.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 12:00 PM »
Regarding the same 5 people, what can I say? Some people will always prefer to lurk - and that should be their prerogative. I'd personally like to see a lot more people join in the discussions. But in any assembly there will always be a more active group that invests considerably more time and effort to keep 'the gab' going.

This is actually "a thing". It hits all groups. So your choice of percentages, but X % of any group are the ones that post a lot.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 01:30 PM »
I think the idea here is simply to add to, or facilitate, the discussion.

I think Renegade's addition of the links to the Encryption thread can only (?) be seen as an improvement

Agreed. Also being that it is segregated so as not to corrupt the original post it preserves the out-of-the-gate flow of the discussion.

--------------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------------

Side point: if the OP'er didn't want to contend with populating the FP links...couldn't the mods be allowed to take care of it?

Overall I really don't see this happening that frequently, but it does strike me as being handy for certain things.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 02:18 PM »
Side point: if the OP'er didn't want to contend with populating the FP links...couldn't the mods be allowed to take care of it?

While I understand the sentiment, that's a slippery slope that shouldn't be broached IMO.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 07:11 PM »

While I understand the sentiment, that's a slippery slope that shouldn't be broached IMO.

+1 It's just not a good place to go. If a post could be inserted as the second, that would be a far better option.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker