topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 1:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Prevents programs from adding themselves to start-up.  (Read 11967 times)

vbmark

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Prevents programs from adding themselves to start-up.
« on: August 26, 2013, 07:24 AM »
I am tired of programs granting themselves privilege to load when I start-up Windows 7.  I use a program named Codestuff Starter that allowed me to see and disable anything I want from loading at start-up, but the problem is that these rogue programs keep re-adding themselves.  For example Java, Adobe, Microsoft, etc..   >:(

Is there a program that protects all start-up places, including the registry, from disrespectful companies presumptuously making changes to my property despite not asking for my permission?

Thank you in advance.

Mark

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Prevents programs from adding themselves to start-up.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 07:36 AM »
I use WinPatrol, but you are right they will add themselves again. And I think WinPatrol is just telling me it happened and not stopping it from happening.

btw, if you are using Microsoft windows, it's not your property according to the Eula. Sorry....

jacquesrober

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 08:27 AM »
I also use Win patrol. If you lookup the "manage startup program" tab in WP you can disable the startup from the program that listed itself and it will not actually startup. If you remove it from the list, it will reinstall itself again, but disabling it will stop it from doing that. It will still be on the startup list but shown as disabled.
JR
JR

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 08:31 AM »
I use WinPatrol, but you are right they will add themselves again. And I think WinPatrol is just telling me it happened and not stopping it from happening.

WinPatrol gives you the option to disallow it (when it notifies you), but tbh I cant remember what happens if you do disallow it. Some apps will keep trying every reboot anyway. I vaguely remember uninstalling something last year because it kept trying to get in the start menu.

Just had a look - Adobe has snuck in there again all right. Wait: Codestuff Starter says Adobe Arm is enabled; WinPatrol says it is disabled. I dont see it on my list of active processes, so I hope WinPatrol is correct. WinPatrol is very lowkey, uses little memory. With the pro version you can check out processes online - has helped me figure out what's what on a couple of occasions.

Java, I uninstalled this year (yah! - in 6 months I've come acros maybe two sites that didnt work. They wouldnt have been worth it to me anyway.)
Tom

vbmark

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 08:56 AM »
I found and installed this.

http://tcpmonitor.altervista.org/startupeye-monitor-registry-startup/

Going to give it a try for awhile.

jacquesrober

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 07:38 AM »
I use Win Patrol pro version .Win patrol  will advise you of a program that wants to install itself at startup, let it  install itself , then disable it from the "manage startup program" menu (see image). it will not try to reinstall itself since it is already in the startup list and WP will not let it work.
JR
manage startup menu.jpg
JR

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 07:55 AM »
remember that certain programs then will stop to work all together;
Apple's QuickTime is one
----
I use AnVir Task Manager Pro to prevent auto-start.

springro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 08:55 AM »
If you're still using XP this is an oldie but goodie: 
http://mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

It will warn you it something tries to add itself.  The nice thing is that you can just disable items instead of removing them.  This seems to satisfy programs that it's already in the startup list so that they won't try to insert a startup routine again.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 09:30 AM »
I found WinPatrol to be very convenient for most cases.  For those apps that auto start using less common techniques to avoid detection/removal sometimes you need to resort to AutoRuns

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 11:15 AM »
For those apps that auto start using less common techniques to avoid detection/removal sometimes you need to resort to [url=http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx]AutoRuns

+1 - I usually start there.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 01:11 PM »
If the applications are adding their shortcuts to the startup folder every time you use them, my Startup Bully can help by acting as an alternative launcher than can delete the shortcuts they keep making.

https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=21221.0

It's quite effective for situations like this, when all else fails.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 02:01 PM »
I am still using the older version of Spybot Search & Destroy. The Teatimer resident part of the software warns me and asks me if i would like to allow or not allow the entry.  Not only that, but it also warns of other registry changes as well. 

I don't recall MLin's Startup CPL ever warning me, and I have been using it since XP. Plus it is only 32 bit. Autoruns is the best way to see what is starting with your computer, and I cannot live without Tiny Watcher.

Previous version of Spybot Search & Destroy 1.6.2: http://www.safer-net...rking.org/mirrors16/
Tiny Watcher: http://kubicle.dcmembers.com/watcher/
Startup Control Panel: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml (Also has a standalone EXE)
Autoruns: http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963902.aspx

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 07:40 PM »
I don't recall MLin's Startup CPL ever warning me

Mike Lin also did a Startup Monitor (here) that would ask you every time something tried to add itself to startup.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 12:48 AM »
WHOA!  I cannot believe in all the time I have used Startup CPL that I never noticed that little gem.  :Thmbsup: I honestly appreciate you pointing that out, VERY useful little program.  I wonder if it can detect changes under 64bit as well...