topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Interesting "stuff"  (Read 1188863 times)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Interesting "stuff"
« Reply #2050 on: January 25, 2020, 05:29 PM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2054 on: February 15, 2020, 03:38 PM »
UK police deny responsibility for poster urging parents to report kids for using Kali Linux

Even worse is that Discord is on there. Discord is very popular amongst the gaming community for chat, voice chat, and similar gaming related activities.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2055 on: February 15, 2020, 04:03 PM »
UK police deny responsibility for poster urging parents to report kids for using Kali Linux

Even worse is that Discord is on there. Discord is very popular amongst the gaming community for chat, voice chat, and similar gaming related activities.

And writing groups, TTRPG/Board Game Groups, Mechanical Keyboard groups, etc, etc.  To say that a platform for chat, etc, is a symptom that your child may be into hacking is incredibly irresponsible.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

nickodemos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2057 on: February 18, 2020, 08:43 AM »
[ Invalid Attachment ]

Finally, here’s a secret weapon to use against all those despicable robocallers

Worthless as most are in other countries that US Federal Law can not touch. As one person on Reddit commented this will only stop once the carriers prevent spoofing of numbers. Till then it is a whack a mole as blocking numbers mean nothing. I myself get numbers I do not know and call back to find they are live numbers of people who have been spoofed.

Only real way to deal with it is to just block unknown numbers and hope real people leave a message.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2058 on: February 19, 2020, 07:10 AM »
Only real way to deal with it is to just block unknown numbers and hope real people leave a message.

Amen to that! One of the guys here in IT got a spam call last week that appeared to be coming from his own number.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2060 on: February 19, 2020, 10:24 AM »
Hackers exploit critical vulnerability found in ~100,000 WordPress sites.jpgInteresting "stuff"

Hackers exploit critical vulnerability found in ~100,000 WordPress sites

WebARX researchers discovered the vulnerability and reported it to ThemeGrill developers on February 2. The plugin developer didn't issue a fix until Sunday. Websites that use ThemeGrill should update immediately. Better yet, as Böck recommended, they should uninstall the plugin altogether.

Hundreds of Millions of PC Components Still Have Hackable Firmware.jpgInteresting "stuff"

Hundreds of Millions of PC Components Still Have Hackable Firmware

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2062 on: February 24, 2020, 10:43 PM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2063 on: February 29, 2020, 04:10 PM »
Large Lap Dog.jpgInteresting "stuff"    Giant Catfish.jpgInteresting "stuff"

Giant Animals You Won't Believe Are Real

26 Things That Never Actually Existed.jpgInteresting "stuff"

26 Things That Never Actually Existed

More in the archive below.

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2064 on: March 08, 2020, 04:24 AM »
I have wondered and marveled -as have so many people- at the truly astronomical numbers associated with chemical rocket powered space travel to the nearest star systems. As per this article,
Example figures given include; ...a velocity of 35,000 miles/hr (56,000 km/hr). At that rate it would take 81,000 Years to reach Proxima Centauri.
If there are no earthlike worlds at Proxima Centauri, one must look even further, and the time and distance quickly surpasses 350,000 years and more for just a journey of a few lightyears even further than Proxima Centauri.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 10:10 PM by holt »

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2065 on: March 11, 2020, 12:17 PM »
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 10:11 PM by holt »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2066 on: March 11, 2020, 07:10 PM »
Wash your Lyrics

https://washyourlyrics.com/

Generate hand washing infographics based on your favourite song lyrics

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2067 on: March 13, 2020, 05:27 PM »
Astronomers and various professionals have seemingly always maintained that Outer Space vacuum is a virtual 'null void' with absolutely 'nothing' in it. This always bothered me for some reason, although I could never say exactly why. It was just a nagging suspicion in the corner of my mind that there must be 'something' there, to give it dimension. Otherwise, how would the planets and stars 'know' where they are and where they're going (not to mention where they've been ((i.e. with delayed, lightspeed progression of gravity waves)) )? Now, we're being told there really are different invisible 'fields', one kind of field for each kind of subatomic particle. Momentum seems to me to be another mystery, in which these fields flawlessly endow moving objects with the energy of motion, and pass it along from 'here to there'. I feel this most intensely whenever I see something like a speeding test vehicle video that has been frozen split-seconds before impact, then moved forward in ultra slow motion. As if magically, the vehicle exhibits giving up the 'stored energy' of all that mysterious, invisible, magical 'momentum' as it smashes into the barrier.
As for 'empty Space', then there's also the fact that if you can look in any direction and see stars and galaxies, it means the photons are interpenetrating every supposedly 'empty' patch of Space. Also, I have a suspicion that FTL travel still awaits pending the discoveries of future super science breakthroughs.
^Lightspeed gravity waves virtually guarantee that stars and galaxies will always be drawn to where their neighboring counterparts were before in the more immediate past, not where they actually are at any given moment, resulting in trail-chasing and swirls, as with Grand Design spiral galaxies, instead of direct head-on collisions.
With the concept of invisible and all but undetectable sub-atomic particle fields pervading all of outer space, what seems significant to me is the idea that 'momentum' may belong more properly to the fields, rather than to the solid matter. Of course, I speak conversationally out of the relative ignorance of a layman and astronomy enthusiast.

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2068 on: March 17, 2020, 05:04 PM »
Hydrogen Peroxide - Natural & Effective Anti-viral, Anti-bacterial & Anti-fungal
http://www.angelfire.com/az/sthurston/hydrogen_peroxide.html

Hydrogen peroxide - anti-BEM (bug-eyed [micro] monster) disinfectant
http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide
1 About Hydrogen Peroxide
2 As an oxygen aid
3 As an algae killer
4 As an antibacterial agent
5 As an oxidising agent on organic mulm*
6 As a safe alternative to using bleach

*Mulm (also called detritus) is the organic debris that builds up in and on the aquarium substrate.

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2069 on: March 18, 2020, 10:41 AM »
This is what the Andromeda Galaxy would look like in the night sky if it was bright enough to be seen with the naked eye.
https://io9.gizmodo....g-the-cou-1541242112
https://i.kinja-img....njojgct5s1plp7x2.jpg
Compare with the Moon just to the lower left. I had read enough times of descriptions explaining how 'big' Andromeda would appear to be, if only it were bright enough to be easily seen and identified, and I could never make any sense out of it (and quite naturally, I was always virtually dying of curiosity to find out, every time I happened to dwell on the subject).
Now, someone has gone to the trouble to create a lifelike picture of our twilight sky with a beautiful reproduction of a proper-sized Andromeda superimposed. My immediate reaction was, 'I never realized it would appear that big.'
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 06:54 PM by holt »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2070 on: March 19, 2020, 12:17 PM »
This is what the Andromeda Galaxy would look like in the night sky if it was bright enough to be seen with the naked eye.
Compare with the Moon just to the lower left. I had read enough times of descriptions explaining how 'big' Andromeda would appear to be, if only it were bright enough to be easily seen and identified, and I could never make any sense out of it (and quite naturally, I was always virtually dying of curiosity to find out, every time I happened to dwell on the subject).
Now, someone has gone to the trouble to create a lifelike picture of our twilight sky with a beautiful reproduction of a proper-sized Andromeda superimposed. My immediate reaction was, 'I never realized it would appear that big.'

There is a higher-res version(2059 x 1371) at 3 billion years from the cosmic event, the earth ’s night sky will be beautiful.
There is a discussion of the original image at Yes, That Picture of the Moon and the Andromeda Galaxy Is About Right

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 12:37 PM by Arizona Hot »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 12:50 PM by Arizona Hot »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2073 on: March 21, 2020, 05:47 PM »
Gourmet aspic - oysters, kiwis, spam, olives, carrots, peas, and .jpgInteresting "stuff"    A spaghetti burrito. Imo the best way to eat spaghetti.jpgInteresting "stuff"

Gourmet aspic: oysters, kiwis, spam, olives, carrots, peas, and canned cheese

I think cheese is the stuff in the middle and around the edge. Anyone here interested in making a burrito like this?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 05:58 PM by Arizona Hot »

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2074 on: March 22, 2020, 08:57 AM »

There is a higher-res version(2059 x 1371) at 3 billion years from the cosmic event, the earth ’s night sky will be beautiful.
There is a discussion of the original image at Yes, That Picture of the Moon and the Andromeda Galaxy Is About Right
Tnx! Now all I need is some kind of freeware to tell me where and when to find it in the night sky at my location. My EZ Cosmos stopped working with Windows 10.