topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Opinions on remote PC control software  (Read 72924 times)

mukestar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Opinions on remote PC control software
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2006, 09:14 PM »
God bless McAffee. Can someone remind me why they're still in business? :D

Because they have a contract with AOL and AOL gives away their firewall and antivirus to all their customers?

I think it started off as an accident, AOL where sitting around the boardroom table, someone asked "who shall we use as our AV software provider" and somebody accidently sneezed.

netshotmailcom

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2008, 07:20 AM »
RadminServer 3. 2 licence code can anyone provide me

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2008, 10:17 AM »
Try http://www.radmin.co...s/radmin/rserver.php - they are very helpful and have lots of codes.  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2008, 11:36 AM »
In other words, what Carol is saying is that this form does not condone software piracy, and so that the best way to get a license key is to go to the company website and buy it.

ps. I'm a registered owner of Radmin and like it a lot. (but there are some very good free alternatives if you don't want to purchase something).

Gman75

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2008, 01:54 PM »
I've been very happy with TeamViewer  which is free for personal non commercial use.

website - http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 12:41 AM »
I gave TeamViewer a shot about a month ago attempting to replace LogMeIn free for my backup PC admin tasks, and it is similar to CrossLoop (in a negative way) - as far as I could tell it could be assumed that TV could be used as a remote control application:

TeamViewer establishes connections to any PC all around the world within just a few seconds. You can remote control your partner's PC as if you were sitting right in front of it.

But you have to have a person at BOTH computers to use it, and the process to establish the connection is strange and annoying; to add to that, if you go the way I did and assign a TV access password to the box, and someone gets the password (so they also have physical access to your machine), you have two compromised computers already. There was no simple way to change a password that I could find (but I lost interest quickly after finding it wouldn't accomplish what I needed anyways).

Needless to say I'm still riding with LMI Free - if only CrossLoop would make a "remote admin" mode to go along with the tried-and-true helper setup they have now... (hint hint to any passing CrossLoop devs... ;))
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 12:42 AM by wreckedcarzz »

brody686

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2009, 11:23 PM »
In a conversation about remote control software I'm surprised no one has mentioned Proxy Networks' Proxy Pro 6. Yes, it's enterprise grade so you do have to pay for it, but it's worth it. Think about security issues, especially if you're using it for commercial reasons. Also, I don't know of any other such software where you can browse through the controlled computer's hardware list.

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009, 02:30 AM »
I gave TeamViewer a shot about a month ago attempting to replace LogMeIn free

I don't know if it's true, but I think TeamViewer Free has a time limit. >:( After using it for some minutes, the connection was suddenly gone and I had to reconnect again.

Never had such problems with LogMeIn Free.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 02:33 AM by wr975 »

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2009, 06:24 PM »
In a conversation about remote control software I'm surprised no one has mentioned Proxy Networks' Proxy Pro 6. Yes, it's enterprise grade so you do have to pay for it, but it's worth it. Think about security issues, especially if you're using it for commercial reasons. Also, I don't know of any other such software where you can browse through the controlled computer's hardware list.
Just a note:  This topic originated in 2006.  Last update before yours was October of last year.  Now I can't access their site (Work firewall in the way again  >:(), but I am guessing it is newer than that.  In 2006, they may very well have been a very small fish with no real presence in the market so no one noticed.  Just my guess.  That said, I want to check it out.  If priced right, perhaps our admins would like to consider replacing Intel's LanDesk (well there is more than just remote control they do with that, but it can be a PITA regardless!)  Thanks for the info.

Nikson!

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2009, 07:36 AM »
PC File Transfer, quite happy with it. I don't have any problems with routers and firewalls, I can not just transfer files, but also run programs on the remote computer. Works always stable and costs not much.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2009, 09:43 AM »
I sincerely believe that there are too many free solutions to require paying for a remote control software.  UltraVNC alone is incredible, fast, and efficient, with a lot of options, an easily configured standalone for clients, browser access and more.  

Can we add "Teamviewer" to the list?  http://www.teamviewer.com
Teamviewer is also free, fast, and has incredibly efficient scaling of the remote display, and a down-loadable, configurable single executable server.  Free for non-commercial use.  
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 09:45 AM by y0himba »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2009, 07:48 PM »
Anyone know of any free software to control a client machine? It has to be simple for the client (i.e. click a link on a webpage to download a small app and run it) and have good remote control features.

I have been using Mikogo (and like it) but I find it a bit slow and heavy on bandwidth and I have also found in a number of cases the mouse clicks don't match the visible positioning (which is frustrating when you miss clicking something by 2 icons!).

Any other free alternatives that are simple to use and secure?

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2009, 07:57 PM »
Search the forum for CrossLoop and for Logmein. Here's a link to one of the threads on this topic: Easy remote access to my home pc?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2009, 08:34 PM »
Any other free alternatives that are simple to use and secure?
-Carol Haynes (July 15, 2009, 07:48 PM)

I just use RDP, I haven't found anything that's faster or less resource intensive, possibly not as simple as, for example, CrossLoop but not that hard either.

More specifically, Remote Assistance - they send an invite, you use it to connect, they approve, (at least that's how I remember it working).

As far as security goes, isn't anything you get them to run going to leave an open port in their firewall after requesting access through it?

EDIT: Assuming it's Remote Assistance + Windows Firewall, Windows will close the port after use.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 08:36 PM by 4wd »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2009, 04:44 AM »
Search the forum for CrossLoop and for Logmein. Here's a link to one of the threads on this topic: Easy remote access to my home pc?

Don't really want to use Crossloop as it required an email address to download the client software and then tries to encourage the setting up of an account before getting to an access code. Not sure whether they are having problems with their servers but all I got when I tried it was 'waiting for connection' and lots of pointers to other users who might be able to help me. Not what I want.

LogMeIn is a fine product but not for offering customer support because even the free version required that you set up an account and install an application. A client would then have to give me their account details to allow me to see their computer. There is a LogMeIn for providing client support but it is far to expensive for my needs. I perhaps want to remotely support up to 5 or 6 people a month and the LogMeIn remote support offering costs thousands of dollars.

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2009, 06:57 AM »
Then TeamViewer might be for you (mentioned in reply #35 above). Personally, I prefer LogMeIn, but for clients or friends that require just one-time help the TeamViewer is an ideal solution, simple to use, including file transfers, etc.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2009, 07:11 AM »
How about TightVNC? Was mentioned before on the forums

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2009, 07:18 AM »
The thing that seems to give the best speed is Microsoft's own Remote Desktop. Even UltraVNC with the GDI mirror driver isn't as fast, lags a bit even on a LAN. Most VNCs have been pretty slow for me - bearable on a LAN, but not elsewhere. The official RealVNC client is somewhat better than most of the others, but pretty duh; it's commercial software.

It's been a while since I tried any of the dedicated "remote control" applications, but back then most suffered the same problem as the VNC clients: they poll and grab screenshots.

By the way, Remote Desktop and VNC should *always* be used through VPN or a SSH tunnel. *always*.

The problem with Remote Desktop is that, unless you're on a terminal server, it will log off the active user (well, switch-user on XP).
True but, Logoff user only applies if using a client OS (XP/Vista/7) the servers allow (technically) 3 sessions in TS "administrative mode" one for the console & 2 Remote sessions.

Why the VPN requirement for RDP? Granted while not the default, RDP natively supports FIPS (which is AES based). Depending on the nature of the deployment (e.g. how prone to be targeted it is) I see no problem with using RDP with the FIPS required setting on a bastard port.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2009, 08:52 AM »
for no-frills connection, i often opt for Ammyy Admin.

http://www.ammyy.com/

ipman

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2010, 01:48 PM »
I used Radmin (Famatech), RealVNC and OpenVNC.  And IMHO Radmin keeps connection better.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2010, 01:21 PM »
New version of TightVNC (finally!) and it's handling some stuff under Vista/Win7 better than my previous favorite UltraVNC. The TVNC 2.0 beta is worth a look. http://tightvnc.org/

- Oshyan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2010, 05:59 AM »
the next time someone does a roundup of these tools, once feature that needs to be listed is which of these programs can support multiple view-only remote connections connecting in at the same time, which is important when you want to demonstrate something to several people.

adi_barb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2010, 06:29 AM »
Does someone know if there are any improvements for the TeamViewer for Windows 7 OS?

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2010, 03:11 AM »
Does someone know if there are any improvements for the TeamViewer for Windows 7 OS?

I keep TV up to date on all my computers, but other than visual changes I haven't noticed any real reasons to update (voice/video chat is now integrated, but that is the only major change I have noticed).