topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Beware the vaportini  (Read 7854 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Beware the vaportini
« on: June 23, 2013, 10:50 PM »
I hadn't known what a "Vaportini" was, until I read this post on HotAir. This looks like a potentially seriously dangerous device. Almost as dangerous as injecting alcohol intravenously. It may even help to set some new "Darwin Awards" amongst its users.

Beware the vaportini
posted at 6:31 pm on June 23, 2013 by Jazz Shaw
Let’s close out the weekend with a bit of a palate cleanser which may not actually be all that refreshing. Kids have been trying dumb things to get a bit of a buzz since… well, probably as long as there have been kids. My generation was no exception, and I still recall all sorts of strange rumors that ran around. They included things like smoking corn silk and taking aspirin while drinking a coke. (There were worse ones I won’t repeat here.) But this weekend I saw a report on a more recent “trend” which sounded kind of strange at first and is probably hazardous enough that people should be aware of it.
... (read the rest at the link).

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Beware the vaportini
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 06:42 AM »
Well this should sufficiently dispel the myth that marijuana is a "gateway drug". Taken out of the picture kids just find new and different ways of abusing something else. It's that pesky short term immortality thing again.

I know the "drug war" money is good and all...but can we try something else now..?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 07:16 AM »
I'm sure the FDA will be pulling this device off the market before too long in the wake of all the publicity.

Basically, it's a brandy snifter on steroids from the looks of it. It's also virtually identical to a gadget available in "head shops" back in the 70s dubbed The Carburetor, that was designed for use with red oil of hemp.

"Nothing new under the sun" as Ecclesiastes so wisely put it. ;D

I find it interesting that despite the all the press surrounding it, the inventor (who is also the proprietor of a popular 'hip' bar where her device debuted) has been very careful to keep her picture out of the news. Which makes me think she already knew she'd be on thin legal ice with this 'invention' of hers.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 08:16 AM »
It's also virtually identical to a gadget available in "head shops" back in the 70s dubbed The Carburetor, that was designed for use with red oil of hemp

Dated yourself pretty hard that time man.. (I remember browsing the bong dept. too.) ;)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 08:37 AM »
It's also virtually identical to a gadget available in "head shops" back in the 70s dubbed The Carburetor, that was designed for use with red oil of hemp

Dated yourself pretty hard that time man.. (I remember browsing the bong dept. too.) ;)

What can I say? I'm not ashamed of my age. I earned the scars I'm wearing - and the snarky attitude I walk around with ;D

----------------

P.S. Head shops were cool! Screw their drug paraphernalia too. Our local shop had great coffee. :-* And the best cheap used paperback section on the planet! Sci-fi titles were only ten cents each there. And half the copies were in near mint condition too. But books were always my main addiction. Still are in fact! :Thmbsup:

P.P.S. Do you remember The Rip-Cord? Or the VaporPen? Or that really expensive electric powered pagoda-like device that did god knows what to concentrate one's stash? :P
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:51 AM by 40hz »

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 02:52 PM »
P.S. Head shops were cool! Screw their drug paraphernalia too. Our local shop had great coffee. :-* And the best cheap used paperback section on the planet! Sci-fi titles were only ten cents each there. And half the copies were in near mint condition too. But books were always my main addiction. Still are in fact! :Thmbsup:

P.P.S. Do you remember The Rip-Cord? Or the VaporPen? Or that really expensive electric powered pagoda-like device that did god knows what to concentrate one's stash? :P

Head shops were the best.  I remember before they outlawed them here in Texas (yeah, those good ol' Texas politicians at their best) I used to browse for hours on end in some of the biggest head shops in Houston.  They had quite a selection of black light posters that were gorgeous, and equally loaded with tons of different scents and types of incense.  I loved those little "cone" incenses and was quite fond of Jasmine.....

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 09:24 PM »
I just keep thinking what a really good FAE it'd make  >:D

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 01:05 AM »
OOoooohh man, high-proof alcohol and an open flame, not a good combination:

"... and there's no calories!!"

facepalm.jpg
Somebody didn't pass high school physics...
(yes, I know the difference between food calories and gram calories, but still...)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:11 AM by Edvard »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 06:56 AM »
^Why does Revision3 constantly send children who seem to feel the need to act as if they've had a drink or two and are attending a campus frat party whenever they're filing a report? (Ms. Lewis? You're an idiot. Just thought you should be aware of that.)
 :-\

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 09:00 AM »
^Why does Revision3 constantly send children who seem to feel the need to act as if they've had a drink or two and are attending a campus frat party whenever they're filing a report? (Ms. Lewis? You're an idiot. Just thought you should be aware of that.)
You don't find that attractive?  Most men (boys) do!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 10:11 AM »
You don't find that attractive?  Most men (boys) do!

lol... and no. I don't.  ;D

Check out Lara Pulver as Irene Adler in the BBC Sherlock episode A Scandal in Belgravia for the sort of look, age, and attitude I find attractive. Or Renee Russo's character in the Thomas Crown Affair remake.

"Smart - it's the new sexy." ;)