topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Knight to queen's bishop 3 - Snowden charged with espionage.  (Read 354779 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Knight to queen's bishop 3 - Snowden charged with espionage.
« Reply #550 on: March 17, 2014, 02:52 AM »
Re. MH370 - It amazes me that there isn't an EPIRBw mounted on aircraft tail assemblies...

Are you thereby suggesting that the NSA or some other shadowy US SS organisation has not already done that and doesn't know exactly where the "missing" plane is - especially since 911?

Yeah, right.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #551 on: March 17, 2014, 03:01 AM »
NSA denies Facebook snooping as Zuckerberg lays into Obama | Security - InfoWorld

This seems to be more theatricals: Act 1, Scene 2 "The Denial"
(Act 1, Scene 1 was "The Zuckerberberg Attack" (Goodness! Mark Zuckberberg is finally really pissed off re the NSA surveillance!).

More popcorn please.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #552 on: March 17, 2014, 03:26 AM »
I think Zuckerberg "doth protest too much" with that one.

Re. MH370 - It amazes me that there isn't an EPIRBw mounted on aircraft tail assemblies...

Are you thereby suggesting that the NSA or some other shadowy US SS organisation has not already done that and doesn't know exactly where the "missing" plane is - especially since 911?

Yeah, right.

I think it's more a situation of not "acknowledging" or "admitting" than it is a case of not "having" the capability of tracking all air traffic in realtime.

adef.png

In an era of massive satellite reconnaissance, advanced commercial and military radar systems, the ongoing concern over the North Korea's belligerence, and the overall military importance of pretty much everything that happens in the vicinity of the China Sea...yeah...I think between China, Russia, and the USA, there were enough electronic "eyes-on" that somebody has a very good idea about where that plane eventually landed or crashed.

I suspect what's really holding up the announcement are high level discussions about how to best spin the story.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 03:48 AM by 40hz »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #553 on: March 17, 2014, 03:52 AM »
...I suspect what's really holding up the announcement are high level discussions about how to best spin the story.

Yes, eggsaggerly.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #554 on: April 18, 2014, 07:07 PM »
I read somewhere that Snowden had apparently been nominated for the Nobel Peach Prize, but after Snowden's open letter (below), Adam Scott reckons that Snowden could well end up being nominated for US President:
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
SNOWDEN: I Questioned Putin To Get His Answer On Record - Business Insider
EDWARD SNOWDEN: Here's Why I Asked Putin A Question Yesterday
Edward Snowden, The Guardian
Apr. 18, 2014, 8:40 AM   12,819 20

On Thursday, I questioned Russia's involvement in mass surveillance on live television. I asked Russia's president, Vladimir Putin, a question that cannot credibly be answered in the negative by any leader who runs a modern, intrusive surveillance program: "Does [your country] intercept, analyze or store millions of individuals' communications?"

I went on to challenge whether, even if such a mass surveillance program were effective and technically legal, it could ever be morally justified.

The question was intended to mirror the now infamous exchange in US Senate intelligence committee hearings between senator Ron Wyden and the director of national intelligence, James Clapper, about whether the NSA collected records on millions of Americans, and to invite either an important concession or a clear evasion. (See a side-by-side comparison of Wyden's question and mine here.)

Clapper's lie – to the Senate and to the public – was a major motivating force behind my decision to go public, and a historic example of the importance of official accountability.

In his response, Putin denied the first part of the question and dodged on the latter. There are serious inconsistencies in his denial – and we'll get to them soon – but it was not the president's suspiciously narrow answer that was criticized by many pundits. It was that I had chosen to ask a question at all.

I was surprised that people who witnessed me risk my life to expose the surveillance practices of my own country could not believe that I might also criticize the surveillance policies of Russia, a country to which I have sworn no allegiance, without ulterior motive. I regret that my question could be misinterpreted, and that it enabled many to ignore the substance of the question – and Putin's evasive response – in order to speculate, wildly and incorrectly, about my motives for asking it.

The investigative journalist Andrei Soldatov, perhaps the single most prominent critic of Russia's surveillance apparatus (and someone who has repeatedly criticized me in the past year), described my question as "extremely important for Russia". It could, he said, "lift a de facto ban on public conversations about state eavesdropping."

Others have pointed out that Putin's response appears to be the strongest denial of involvement in mass surveillance ever given by a Russian leader – a denial that is, generously speaking, likely to be revisited by journalists.

In fact, Putin's response was remarkably similar to Barack Obama's initial, sweeping denials of the scope of the NSA's domestic surveillance programs, before that position was later shown to be both untrue and indefensible.

So why all the criticism? I expected that some would object to my participation in an annual forum that is largely comprised of softball questions to a leader unaccustomed to being challenged. But to me, the rare opportunity to lift a taboo on discussion of state surveillance before an audience that primarily views state media outweighed that risk. Moreover, I hoped that Putin's answer – whatever it was – would provide opportunities for serious journalists and civil society to push the discussion further.

When this event comes around next year, I hope we'll see more questions on surveillance programs and other controversial policies. But we don't have to wait until then. For example, journalists might ask for clarification as to how millions of individuals' communications are not being intercepted, analyzed or stored, when, at least on a technical level, the systems that are in place must do precisely that in order to function. They might ask whether the social media companies reporting that they have received bulk collection requests from the Russian government are telling the truth.

I blew the whistle on the NSA's surveillance practices not because I believed that the United States was uniquely at fault, but because I believe that mass surveillance of innocents – the construction of enormous, state-run surveillance time machines that can turn back the clock on the most intimate details of our lives – is a threat to all people, everywhere, no matter who runs them.

Last year, I risked family, life, and freedom to help initiate a global debate that even Obama himself conceded "will make our nation stronger". I am no more willing to trade my principles for privilege today than I was then.

I understand the concerns of critics, but there is a more obvious explanation for my question than a secret desire to defend the kind of policies I sacrificed a comfortable life to challenge: if we are to test the truth of officials' claims, we must first give them an opportunity to make those claims.

• Edward Snowden wrote for the Guardian through the Freedom of the Press Foundation
This article originally appeared on guardian.co.uk

It seems that some people, including Adam Scott (but not me, you understand) might think that having an honest and freedom-aspiring president could make a welcome and beneficial change for the people of the USA and for that country's national integrity and international standing, but I couldn't possibly comment.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 07:12 PM by IainB »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #556 on: May 26, 2014, 08:23 AM »
Here's a recent C-SPAN interview with Glenn Greenwald:

http://www.c-span.or...nwald-edward-snowden

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #557 on: May 26, 2014, 09:10 AM »
Elsewhere in the leaks department:

USA Today’s William Cummings: “White House blows cover of CIA chief in Afghanistan” The White House accidentally blew the cover of the top CIA officer in Afghanistan Saturday, when his name and title were released in an e-mail sent to reporters who traveled with President Obama on his surprise visit to Bagram Air Field. The CIA officer’s identity was released as part of a list of U.S. officials who were attending a military briefing with Obama at Bagram, the Washington Post reported. The individual was identified as “Chief of Station,” a term used for the top spy in a country, according to the Post
-ABC News

http://www.usatoday....s-cia-chief/9586633/

I wonder if they'll be honest enough to prosecute themselves.. :-\

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #558 on: May 26, 2014, 09:19 AM »
@Renegade: Thanks for the CSPAN interview link (above).
@Stoic Joker: Maybe that leak was accidentally-on-purpose?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #559 on: May 26, 2014, 10:32 PM »
Elsewhere in the leaks department:

USA Today’s William Cummings: “White House blows cover of CIA chief in Afghanistan” The White House accidentally blew the cover of the top CIA officer in Afghanistan Saturday, when his name and title were released in an e-mail sent to reporters who traveled with President Obama on his surprise visit to Bagram Air Field. The CIA officer’s identity was released as part of a list of U.S. officials who were attending a military briefing with Obama at Bagram, the Washington Post reported. The individual was identified as “Chief of Station,” a term used for the top spy in a country, according to the Post
-ABC News

http://www.usatoday....s-cia-chief/9586633/

I wonder if they'll be honest enough to prosecute themselves.. :-\
-Stoic Joker (May 26, 2014, 09:10 AM)

Honest? Politicians prosecuted? BWAHAHAHHAHA~! ;D

However, in Iran a bankster was sentenced to death for a $2.6 BILLION fraud. Ironic how one can only view that sort of justice from afar. (I'm not in favour of CP, but seeing a bankster convicted of a crime is refreshing.)

Then there are more corrupt politicians/bureaucrats in China facing similar fates.

It's just bizarre. I don't typically think of Iran or China a being particularly "just" countries.

But it gets you thinking... If there is a God, then he is likely one of:

• Dr. Seuss
  • Lewis Carroll

It was springtime in the Rockies
The snow was falling fast
A bare footed man with clogs on
Went slowly whizzing past

He went round a straight crooked corner
To see a dead donkey die
He pulled out a gun and stabbed him
And then began to cry.

I went to the pictures tomorrow
I took the front seat at the back
I fell from the floor to the ceiling
And broke the front bone in my back.

They took me to Cardiff Infirmary
And starved me with plenty to eat
They fed me plain cake with currants in.
And whipped me and tickled my feet.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #560 on: May 28, 2014, 04:56 PM »
NBC News is supposed to air their interview with Snowden tonight.  In the meantime, the network has posted an excerpt in which he states that he was not a low level technician, but was in fact trained as a spy and did undercover work for the CIA and NSA.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #561 on: May 28, 2014, 07:48 PM »
NBC News is supposed to air their interview with Snowden tonight.  In the meantime, the network has posted an excerpt in which he states that he was not a low level technician, but was in fact trained as a spy and did undercover work for the CIA and NSA.

Excerpts from it:

And the pundits already out and screaming that he's a liar:

:-\ Please tell us more...  Because CNN is just oh so incredibly credible! Pfft. Care to purchase a bridge or beachfront property? ;)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #562 on: May 28, 2014, 09:13 PM »
Looks like you can watch it live online here:

http://www.nbcnews.c...ysis-special-n116871

Well, it's pre-recorded... so, well... when they air it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #563 on: May 28, 2014, 09:25 PM »
NBC News is supposed to air their interview with Snowden tonight.  In the meantime, the network has posted an excerpt in which he states that he was not a low level technician, but was in fact trained as a spy and did undercover work for the CIA and NSA.

And the usual bogus counterpoint commentary has started.

Love those self-styled pundits...

As long as those implicated can have their CNN lapdogs keep the public's attention focused on Snowden the man - and not what he revealed - abuse of executive power will continue to be 'business as usual.'

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #564 on: May 28, 2014, 09:32 PM »
And the usual bogus counterpoint commentary has started.

Love those self-styled pundits...

As long as those implicated can have their CNN lapdogs keep the public's attention focused on Snowden the man - and not what he revealed - abuse of executive power will continue to be 'business as usual.'

It's not just executive power... Case in point:

"...faith in the US justice system..."

Really? Seriously? Is he:

• High
  • Mentally challenged
  • Drinking WAAAAY too much kool-aid

Or perhaps all 3?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #565 on: May 29, 2014, 11:59 AM »
"...faith in the US justice system..."

Really? Seriously? Is he:

• High
  • Mentally challenged
  • Drinking WAAAAY too much kool-aid

Or perhaps all 3?

My money is on all 3 ... Definitely all 3:
High = Shitfaced drunk on power.
Mentally challenged = The dizzying height of the ivory tower makes it impossible to see anything clearly, and the air is so thin up there he's got to be a total turnip.
Kool-Aid = Shit man I think he's bathing in it by now ... That and the blood of virgins (blood of virgins is really just an old world way of conveying innocence).

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #566 on: May 29, 2014, 12:23 PM »
"Whom the gods destroy, they first make mad."  - Euripides

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #567 on: May 29, 2014, 12:35 PM »
Interview is here:

Download it now. It might not be up for long. Other versions are down.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #568 on: May 29, 2014, 02:15 PM »
"Being a patriot doesn't mean prioritizing service to government above all else." - Edward Snowden.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #569 on: May 29, 2014, 03:07 PM »
Kerry must be borrowing a page from Sinclair Lewis's novel It Can't Happen Here and modelling himself on the character Berzelius "Buzz" Windrip, populist-fascist dictator of the United States.

"He was an actor of genius. There was no more overwhelming actor on the stage, in the motion pictures, nor even in the pulpit. He would whirl arms, bang tables, glare from mad eyes, vomit Biblical wrath from a gaping mouth; but he would also coo like a nursing mother, beseech like an aching lover, and in between tricks would coldly and almost contemptuously jab his crowds with figures and facts — figures and facts that were inescapable even when, as often happened, they were entirely incorrect."

:-\
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 03:32 PM by 40hz »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #570 on: May 29, 2014, 05:14 PM »
Interview is here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNhMXyAdjp8[/youtube]

well worth listening to. Another copy here.
Tom

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #571 on: May 29, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Interview is here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNhMXyAdjp8[/youtube]

well worth listening to. Another copy here.

That's 5 minutes longer than the one I saw. Commercials?

I noticed that in the interview there were some pretty brutal cuts. Completely WTF!?! cuts. Seems a lot of juicy stuff was left out. :(

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #572 on: May 30, 2014, 03:45 AM »
That's 5 minutes longer than the one I saw. Commercials?

I noticed that too, and started watching again: so far (@11:00) it has an intro the other didnt, and yes, it's less brutally cut - but nothing major extra.
Tom

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #573 on: May 30, 2014, 08:54 PM »
In response to Secretary of State John Kerry's statement that Snowden is a traitor and a coward because he won't come back to the U.S. to face a fair trial, like Daniel Ellsberg did with the Pentagon papers, Daniel Ellsberg commented today that:
Edward Snowden is the greatest patriot whistleblower of our time, and he knows what I learned more than four decades ago: until the Espionage Act gets reformed, he can never come home safe and receive justice

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #574 on: May 30, 2014, 09:54 PM »
he won't come back to the U.S. to face a fair trial

Kerry is correct. He won't come back to face a fair trial. US Espionage Act trials are notorious for being kangaroo courts.

Snowden won't come back to face a farce trial would be a much better a characterization.

kanga.png