Had been using dwm and st for a bit, but due to not figuring out a good way to maintain my local installations of them, decided to look for alternatives.
After trying a few alternatives, came across and temporarily settled on i3
On the window manager front, was looking for:
- ability to use the Windows key as a modifier for window manager commands
- configurability without having to recompile source
- tiling support (as well as at least some support for floating)
- focus-follows-mouse support
- ability to support some form of "bar" (e.g. for indicating workspace / tag names, display time, etc.)
- multiple screen support
- ability to have certain windows start up on specific workspaces (or be tagged automatically)
Basically something like dwm, except for the aforementioned issue. echinus came close but I encountered a few issues that kept me looking.
On the terminal front, was looking for:
- dark background by default
- scrollback buffer (along with decent size) by default
- multilingual support
- easy configuration
Tried xterm, uxterm, and mlterm. terminator might be a good alternative, but didn't try it long enough.
Any favorites and/or recommendations?
For reference, i3 has a Google TechTalk
, decent docs
, an irc channel
, mailing lists
, stackoverflow-like (askbot) support