topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Magnetic North Pole migration seems to be accelerating.  (Read 13265 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
This was a relatively scientific  report: Magnetic north shifting by 40 miles a year, might signal pole reversal

I just watched this, and it seems that the Earth's MNP has shifted a further 161 miles in the last 6 months - assuming the plotting/triangulation was accurate. That's pretty fast for something that was always thought to be a relatively slow and steady process: SHOCK: North Pole Shifted 161 Miles in Last 6 Months

I recall that the Sun's MNP flips approx. every 11 years at the solar maximum. The last time was apparently in 2001 - refer The Sun Does a Flip

Interesting times!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Magnetic North Pole migration seems to be accelerating.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 07:59 AM »
"Reversals typically take about 10,000 years to happen," said Jeffrey Love of the U.S. Geological Survey. "And 10,000 years ago civilisation did not exist. These processes are slow, and therefore we don't have anything to worry about."

That's what Cthulhu thought too, now his whole city is underwater.

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 09:21 AM »
Magnetic north shifting by 40 miles a year, might signal pole reversal

SHOCK: North Pole Shifted 161 Miles in Last 6 Months

Perhaps it's found somewhere that offers a greater attraction?  :huh:
I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.
I've not had to try since.

I wonder what happens if I click on thi

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 11:21 AM »
How far can it shift before the sky falls?

Sudden polar shift will jumpstart the Zombies...eek!

It's those pesky Russians trying to steal the north pole ... Attack!!!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 11:32 AM »
How far can it shift before the sky falls?

Should we bring James Bond in on this?  Or just Adele?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 11:51 AM »
Or just Adele?

No reason the apocalypse can't have background music I can think of. :Thmbsup:

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 12:49 PM »
So Raoul Silva is causing this?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 03:06 PM »
Yes, the magnetic pole is shifting.  no big deal.  nothing much will be affected.  But...if it just so happens that the sun gives off a massive solar flare during a window of the pole transition where the field is neutral or weak, it could be the end.  hell on earth.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 03:29 PM »
It's all because of Obamacare. Just like it's the cause of everything else - according to some people. :P ;D

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 03:54 PM »
It's all because of Obamacare. Just like it's the cause of everything else - according to some people. :P ;D
oh yea, the singer of the band I'm in...whenever she gets angry, she says "f---ing Obama."  :P

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 04:09 PM »
oh yea, the singer of the band I'm in...whenever she gets angry, she says "f---ing Obama."  :P

My sister too - although she really can't say why. At which point I usually rip her a second orifice...

Not that I'm a fan of this particular president. But it drives me nuts when people cop an attitude about something - or ape somebody else's opinion - and they've got absolutely nothing to back it up with.

I can't stand lazy thinkers. Even if this one is my own sister whom I (mostly) love dearly. ;D ;)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 04:16 PM »
But it drives me nuts when people cop an attitude about something - or ape somebody else's opinion - and they've got absolutely nothing to back it up with.
(er...perhaps I'm pessimistic, but wouldn't that be like 90% of the people you know?)  :'(

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 04:30 PM »
Not that I'm a fan of this particular president. But it drives me nuts when people cop an attitude about something - or ape somebody else's opinion - and they've got absolutely nothing to back it up with.

Eh... he's no better or worse than any of them in modern times, truthfully.  It's the environment that they exist in rather than the President from my observations...

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 04:55 PM »
Two words: Mayan ruddy Calender.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 06:14 PM »

If the earth flipped polarity, wouldn't that make electrical motors run backwards?   :P

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 07:00 PM »
  If the earth flipped polarity, wouldn't that make electrical motors run backwards?   :P

If so, would that mean that Tesla vehicles would have several speeds backward, one (1) speed forward  :-\?

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 09:32 PM »
Won't compasses be affected?

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 10:07 PM »
Won't compasses be affected?

There's been debate on that aspect.  Some say that the reversal - assuming it occurs - would have no long-term effect, as the poles will completely reverse.  Others argue that North and South will be completely reversed, but the overall effect would be minuscule.  And there have been a few complaining about the current traversal radically changing the difference 'tween true and magnetic north.  Since any navigator is aware of that existing difference, 'twould be simply a matter of making appropriate adjustments.  That's a simplistic description, but I don't have the math to understand significant parts of the arguments.

Basically, the arguments have become that you can still find your way through Yellowstone Park, but you might end up at the wrong port if you're making a sea passage from one (1) continent to the other.  Mostly, the theorists agree that it won't affect air travel, since radar will pretty make up the difference.

I don't know that I countenance any of the positions espoused ... just have to wait and see (and hope the doomsayers are as incorrect as usual  ;)).

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 02:38 AM »
I gather that some people are understandably very worried that the poles flipping like that will mean that, if one lives in the Northern hemisphere, then one will suddenly be whisked to the Southern hemisphere, and vice versa - without any warning or a by your leave - and to top it off there is a potential risk that one might catch a nasty dose of sunburn as the bit of the planet one is standing on momentarily passes through the Equator, or something.
It's enough to give anyone a sleepless night.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 07:16 PM »
  There's "True North" and "Magnetic North".  If the poles reversed, compasses would still work, just in reverse, North would be South.  Magnetic North, depending on where you live in the world, is off by so many degrees.  If memory serves since I was in flight school, anywhere from 2 to 7 degrees.  Here where I live it's off positive 4 degrees.  If polarity reverses, True North and Magnetic North would be opposite, which would take quite a bit more calculations along with the confusion.....

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 09:24 PM »
If polarity reverses, True North and Magnetic North would be opposite, which would take quite a bit more calculations along with the confusion.....

Am I missing something? :huh:

If the polarity reverses, wouldn't it just be easier to announce that south is now the colored end of the compass needle and north is the silver end? That and simply recalibrate electronic compasses since it shouldn't matter if true north is out from magnetic by 4 or 184 degrees as long as you know how much the deviation is?

It would only be a real problem while it's shifting. Once it stabilized it shouldn't matter.

Fortunately, GPS and gyrocompass systems shouldn't be affected.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 07:06 AM »

If the polarity reverses, wouldn't it just be easier to announce that south is now the colored end of the compass needle and north is the silver end? That and simply recalibrate electronic compasses since it shouldn't matter if true north is out from magnetic by 4 or 184 degrees as long as you know how much the deviation is?

It would only be a real problem while it's shifting. Once it stabilized it shouldn't matter.

Navigationally, as you say, there should be no problem.  However, the doomsayers are of two (2) minds.  One (1) faction predicts life-threatening exposure to solar events during the shift.  (While that is semi-verifiable, it is also predictable.)  The other faction warns of unknown, possibly weather-related, life-threatening events during the shift (can you say Mayan calendar  ;D?).

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 07:35 AM »
Oh hell no, the Mayan's already picked their day...and missed. They're not getting credit for this one. They'll just have to go sit in the false prophets box with the rest of the apocalypse pool losers.

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 08:31 AM »
I have concerns about this thread, I just opened it to read the latest posts and the first thing I saw was this:

(Read 666 times)

Actually I don't know what all the fuss is about, politicians are a far more imminent danger, their actions can have global consequence and they change position frequently.

EDIT:
ADD
After I wrote this post I found the following and just had to include it:

http://www.urbandict...nt&defid=2796760

7. government

government is like a condom in that it allows for inflation, halts production, destroys subsequent generations, protects a bunch of pricks, and provides its constituents with a sense of security while they are actually being screwed.

I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.
I've not had to try since.

I wonder what happens if I click on thi
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 09:12 AM by pilgrim »

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 07:51 PM »
If polarity reverses, True North and Magnetic North would be opposite, which would take quite a bit more calculations along with the confusion.....

Fortunately, GPS and gyrocompass systems shouldn't be affected.

Yeah, you can announce it, but what about the printing on the compass?  North wouldn't be North anymore, along with the other references.  You would have to scrape off N, S, E and W and reverse them all. Gyro compasses would be affected as well if they are the pin & needle type with the needle pointing towards the references.  But I would think that even the digital ones would be off as far as east and west goes.

EDIT:  I was in a rush when I typed this.  After I went to bed I got to thinking about what I said and realized that I got to talking about two different Nav technologies.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 03:49 PM by Tinman57 »