topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Help needed with computer problem  (Read 20663 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help needed with computer problem
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2013, 12:31 AM »
haven't tried taking out all gfx cards... but I have switched it out to no avail.  Do you think that it might be the card slot or something?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2013, 12:58 AM »
haven't tried taking out all gfx cards... but I have switched it out to no avail.  Do you think that it might be the card slot or something?

when diagnosing computer problems -- the technique is remove and swap everything you possibly can.  you want to eliminate possibilities.  so if there are cards you can remove, remove 'em!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2013, 03:25 AM »
haven't tried taking out all gfx cards... but I have switched it out to no avail.  Do you think that it might be the card slot or something?

when diagnosing computer problems -- the technique is remove and swap everything you possibly can.  you want to eliminate possibilities.  so if there are cards you can remove, remove 'em!

I prefer starting from an absolutely base system and working forward from there (assuming onboard gfx):
1) CPU + MB                      = beep codes
2) CPU + MB + RAM            = BIOS
3) CPU + MB + RAM + ODD  = run a LiveCD
etc...etc

Gfx card would be the last thing I plug in since this system doesn't need it.

The less components you start with the better, AFAIAC, since I never trust what I swap in unless it came from a known working system.  It also progressively loads up the PSU, (I know you've already swapped it), who knows, it might be that plugging in the gfx card or a HDD causes an unacceptable voltage fluctuation on the supply rails.

If it fails at just CPU+MB+RAM, there's only really two things I'd try: reseating the CPU and/or reflashing the BIOS

BTW, I know you've said it hangs with either RAM stick but who is to say they both aren't bad?

Unless you can test them in another system, (or plug known working RAM in), you'll never know.

It all comes down to how much time/money you want to spend on it.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2013, 10:08 AM »
But CPU+MB won't do anything.  Which is why I'm going with what Stoic said.  I sort of knew it... but I was hoping I was wrong.  There's no codes at all for the no ram.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 08:44 PM »
But CPU+MB won't do anything.  Which is why I'm going with what Stoic said.  I sort of knew it... but I was hoping I was wrong.  There's no codes at all for the no ram.

Sorry, missed your reply about the battery replacement  :-[

D0UG

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2013, 08:52 PM »
Yup... restored the bios to defaults.  Actually tried it both ways... with defaults, and restore... and both had the same results.  The only thing I didn't try was flashing it, but I have doubts that could be it unless someone tells me otherwise.  never seen a bios that needs updating start flaking out like this...

It is a very bad idea to attempt to flash the BIOS on an unstable system.  It is possible to brick some motherboards with an incomplete BIOS update.

D0UG

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2013, 08:55 PM »
Well, more information.  I let it sit for a few hours, then started again.  When I did, I went into the BIOS instead of letting it boot to Windows.  Temp looked fine (25C MB/25C Proc) and fan speed looked fine.  after a few minutes, it failed.  So I'm leaning towards RAM, and crossing my fingers.  Thanks for the suggestions, and I'll let you know!

If it failed while you were in BIOS, then the problem is probably PSU or motherboard.  The most complex component is the CPU but it is also the least likely to fail.  Unfortunately, there is no easy way to test for motherboard failure other than replacing it.

longrun

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2013, 04:10 PM »
Two comments: you seem to be placing a low value on your time (3 days spent on this). This is entirely your choice, but should be factored into your considerations. You might find a better, used PC on craigslist.

Also, you mentioned that the system has 5 fans. More is not necessarily better. Sometimes increasing the number of fans disrupts the airflow over crucial components. I saw an Intel demo some years back in which a PC ran considerably hotter with two fans than with one.

Good luck.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2013, 04:22 PM »
I haven't actually spent three days... more like 3 hours at the most.  And considering what my wife uses it for (photoshop, lightroom, other photographic stuff), I can't just get any computer, unfortunately.  The 5 fans are including the two on the CPU heat sink, two in the box and the one on the video card, so it's not as many as it seems.  One draws air in from the back, across the heat sink, then out of the other side.  The airflow then goes through the video card and back out the back through the last fan.  I upgraded that prior to this when the CPU was having heating problems, and they brought it right down to spec.

But thanks for the input.