topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - v4.42.0 beta - July 21, 2022  (Read 1195744 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - 2.47.01 - Feb 15, 2009
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2009, 01:02 AM »
i'd love to hear any reports about the new beta version fixing region capture stuff.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2009, 03:39 AM »
Nothing about region capture, but SSC is now taking a heck of a long time to complete a capture if I haven't used it for a while. After that it is quick enough. But let it sit and it can take 4, 5 minutes. Even then it stays red sometimes and never does signify the capture is complete unless I manually open the main window. Weird behavior.

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2009, 03:59 AM »
see first tab in options about memory use -- see if changing that makes any difference.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2009, 06:56 PM »
see first tab in options about memory use -- see if changing that makes any difference.

It shows as "Normal", same as it has always been. That should not be causing the delay/freeze.

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2009, 06:59 PM »
4, 5 minutes
yeah that is very very not normal.
if you can reproduce it, could you tell me if it happens whether you do a full screen capture vs other capture modes.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2009, 07:17 PM »
4, 5 minutes
yeah that is very very not normal.
if you can reproduce it, could you tell me if it happens whether you do a full screen capture vs other capture modes.

Doesn't seem to matter. Only happens if I haven't used it within the last few minutes. Like it's asleep.

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2009, 07:34 PM »
if you can get it to reliably recur, what would be interesting would be to see if delay is much less if you first wake it up with a double click and THEN initiate a capture.. in other words, i wonder if it has something to do with a capture beginning before the program is actually "awake"

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2009, 10:46 PM »
if you can get it to reliably recur, what would be interesting would be to see if delay is much less if you first wake it up with a double click and THEN initiate a capture.. in other words, i wonder if it has something to do with a capture beginning before the program is actually "awake"

Actually I've tried this; if I manage to wake it and open the main window, it's fast. However a lot of times SSC doesn't wake properly. A button appears on the taskbar but the window isn't visible. If I click the button on the taskbar SSC starts to show its window but then goes back to the sys tray, as it would had the window been visible. This doesn't happen all the time though - maybe 20% of the time. It definitely has been acting up for the last - oh, maybe two months?

Jim

russell.williams

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have also experienced the sluggish response when region capturing (it sits there with a red icon for about a minute). It isn't consistent. I will try to change the Inactive Memory Use and see.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 05:47 PM by russell.williams »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ok i'm afraid this is the new version doing this.. i will look into it right away.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Added a minor beta update so people could test new sorting functionality and some new cool MoveTo menu items:
v2.48.01 - March 6th, 2009
  • Added new "Move To" menu item which will create a folder based on current date and move all screenshots into it; useful for quick organizing of screenshot folder.
  • Added new "Move To" menu for moving only old files and sorting into subfolders based on date of screenshot; userful for cleaning up a big directory of screenshots.
  • Added sort by -> name option in View menu.

Note:
there will be more updates in the coming weeks so no need to download this beta unless you are really anxious to try it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I hope you like the new MoveTo menu items.. i think they really help you to keep your screenshots directory organized/archived.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SSC is now taking a heck of a long time to complete a capture if I haven't used it for a while. After that it is quick enough. But let it sit and it can take 4, 5 minutes. Even then it stays red sometimes and never does signify the capture is complete unless I manually open the main window. Weird behavior.
-J-Mac

After talking with J-Mac I think we've identified the cause of the problem to be the fact that he had many hundreds of screenshots in the Screenshot directory.. While i will work on removing the slowdown that occurs with so many screenshots, people might consider moving screenshots out of their main root Screenshots directory after a while.

The new MoveTo menu items are designed to help you do that regularly and painlessly.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SSC is now taking a heck of a long time to complete a capture if I haven't used it for a while. After that it is quick enough. But let it sit and it can take 4, 5 minutes. Even then it stays red sometimes and never does signify the capture is complete unless I manually open the main window. Weird behavior.
-J-Mac

After talking with J-Mac I think we've identified the cause of the problem to be the fact that he had many hundreds of screenshots in the Screenshot directory.. While i will work on removing the slowdown that occurs with so many screenshots, people might consider moving screenshots out of their main root Screenshots directory after a while.

The new MoveTo menu items are designed to help you do that regularly and painlessly.

Or we could just change the default screenshot location. File>Change Screenshot Directory.

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Keep in mind, it's not the location of the directory that matters, it's an issue that is caused by having too many thumbnails in the current screenshot directory.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
new beta:

v2.50.01 - March 8th, 2009
  • Added new "Move To" menu item which will create a folder based on current date and move all screenshots into it; useful for quick organizing of screenshot folder.
  • Added new "Move To" menu for moving only old files and sorting into subfolders based on date of screenshot; userful for cleaning up a big directory of screenshots.
  • Added sort by -> name option in View menu.
  • Post-capture popup dialog SaveAs now defaults to template filename and configured file type/extension.
  • Added new interlace special effects, including one meant for security purposes that will blur and then interlace.
  • [BugFix] Discard changes wasn't reloading the original file.
  • [BugFix] Thumbnail option to not change to new thumbnail was not being obeyed.
  • [BugFix] SC would sometimes select the entire screenshot contents when capturing a region inside the active window.
  • [BugFix] The option chosen on SaveOverwrite popup was not being saved if triggered while exiting.
  • Added new Region Border Glow effect.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 09:53 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New release.  Anyone who experienced crashing after the program woke up from hibernation (especially if you had a multimonitor system), then this new release should fix that problem.  Thanks to Roman for helping to diagnose the problem.

v2.53.01 - March 17th, 2009
  • Fixed rare bug that could cause an exception when waking from hibernation (especially on multimonitor systems); or when turning off secondary monitors [Thanks Roman!]
v2.52.01 - March 12th, 2009
  • Added some new variable/macros based on image filename that can be used when calling commandline tools.
v2.51.01 - March 10th, 2009
  • Added new advanced post-capture commandline tool box where you can configure multiple commandline applications to run after a screenshot is taken.  See here for more options you can pass to the post-capture commandline tools.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
mouser,

I just downloaded and installed 2.53.01. I didn't get any notification this time though. I just saw that a new version was available. Same with Process Tamer. How can I get DCUpdater to update these? Or can't I?

Thanks!

Jim

Flatop0315

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mouser- FYI- I was previously using Screenshot Captor v2.44.01 and had it installed in Windows XP to C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXX\My Documents\Programs\ScreenshotCaptor which worked fine.  Now I installed the latest version to the same directory and when I try to save a screenshot or print it, the pop up dialogue window that should appear in front of Screenshot Captor's main window appears behind it and cannot be brought to the front.  When I reinstalled the latest version to the normal C:\Programs\ScreenshotCaptor directory it works like it should.  I thought that was strange behavior so just letting you know.

Flatop
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:39 AM by Flatop0315 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
thanks -- i think i messed up the ontop behavior in the last update, going to upload a new version this week.

Flatop0315

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey mouser, not sure if this is the proper place for this post, but I am sure you will let me know.  It would be nice to see the highlighting feature improved to where the color of the words that are being highlighted is not dimmed by the highlighting.  I have attached examples of what I am talking about.  Thanks for a great program.

Flatop

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
yeah this has been suggested -- i'm going to try to figure out how to do it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
new version out:

v2.55.01 - May 17th, 2009

• Fixed annoying beep on restoring window from minimization.
  • Fixed bug where SC could crash when capturing windows who have client maximized outside normal window area (Photoshop full screen mode).
  • Tried to fix errors when SC is trying to save a blank filename or an illegal filename; now SC will try to shorten a filename which is too long, or add a default filename if the constructed one is blank.
  • Improved error and instructions if file failed to save.
  • Starting adding icons in program menus.
  • Option to open SaveAs folder after doing a save as.

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mouser,
The current version was reported on alt.comp.freeware this morning. The OP was mildly surprised at the size of the download (~9MB) for a "screenshot program". I'd like to offer an explanation, but I haven't used the program. (I don't generally use/want screenshots) I'm planning to check it out so I can clarify in a follow-up post to the newsgroup. Is there anything I should pay attention to?

2 penny Ron
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mouser,
The current version was reported on alt.comp.freeware this morning. The OP was mildly surprised at the size of the download (~9MB) for a "screenshot program". I'd like to offer an explanation, but I haven't used the program. (I don't generally use/want screenshots) I'm planning to check it out so I can clarify in a follow-up post to the newsgroup. Is there anything I should pay attention to?
-OldElmerFudd (May 17, 2009, 04:27 PM)

i think whole 9mb is due to the size of SC's exe and chm. mouser used to compress the exe but it threw a lot of false malware alarm that he stopped doing so. if you want, you can still compress the exe after downloading it. :)

ScreenshotCaptor.exe6,124,544
ScreenshotCaptor.chm 3,626,570