topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - v4.42.0 beta - July 21, 2022  (Read 1195873 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Glad you like it, and welcome to the site Polka!  :Thmbsup:

kproth

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You can now comment on this announcement thread.  Comments will be split off onto a new thread with each new release.  I think this will make it easier for people to discuss releases but still keep the announcements clean.

I am subscribed to this thread (for obvious reasons) and got another email notification of someone congratulating you on a job well done.  Is there any other way to find out about new releases besides this thread? (other than your automatic updater which I'd prefer not to use).  If not, would you please consider disabling comments on this thread again?  To solve the concern with being able to discuss the releases, maybe you could post twice with each new release -- once to this thread, and also start a new thread for each release with comments enabled?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
new release:

v2.79.01 beta - Apr 24th, 2010
  • [MinorFeature] SaveAs now does higher quality (less compression) saves; useful for occasional jpg saving.
  • [MinorFeature] SaveAs now remembers your last default file extension used.
  • [BugFix] When creating thumbnails, or using saveas or save+ , sometimes pushing the copy filename to clipboard button would copy the PREVIOUS filename to clipboard; this could result in file path to full image copying to clipboard instead of new cropped thumbnail.
  • [MinorFeature] Added option to use transparent background when resizing canvas or adding captions.
  • [MinorFeature] Started showing different icon when in timed capture mode.
  • [Feature] You can now customize the directory pattern for the auto-moving-old-screenshots archive feature.
  • [MinorFeature] Added MoveTo menu item to move all screenshots into archives.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
v2.81.01 - May 4th, 2010
  • [MajorFeature] Completely re-rewritten new method for capturing Aero Glass themed Semi-transparent windows on Vista and Windows 7.  Based on an approach described by Ian Griffiths (http://www.interact-...7/01/30/recoveralpha), with several tweaks for automatic border detection and improved color handling.  A new options tab ("Windows Capturing") was added to control the various options for it.  Note that by default SC will preserve the entire transparency recovered from the window; this will allow you to composite the screenshot in graphics editing software with it's original semi-transparent regions and effects.  By default SC will attempt to remove the shadow effect imparted by Aero, but you can change this on the Windows Capture option tab.
  • [MinorChange] Changed default hotkey for capturing active window to Ctrl+PrtScr (the previous default of Alt+PrtScr was very stupid decision since the Alt key can activate menus)
  • [BugFix] SC was refusing to capture certain windows like Google Chrome; errors in capturing are now reported better.
  • [BugFix] With the option to remove border shadow, full screen active window captures were being eaten into; SC now ignores this option on maximized apps.
  • [MinorFeature] Removed aero capture delay setting - SC should now capture as fast as it can and lengthen delay when needed.
  • [BugFix] Hopefully eliminated bug where aero capture could be blank if screen refresh did not happen fast enough.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice!

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@mouser: Thanks! I use ScreenshotCaptor quite a lot - it is very useful - so all improvements are welcome.   :Thmbsup:

hubi

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Installed new release and it seems to have fixed the start-up bug but the following are not fixed

1) Thumbnail refresh (visually extremely irritating and makes it almost impossible to rename a screenshot from the thumbnail pane)

2) Seems to usually not retain settings for many areas between boot up e.g.

- highlight settings (inner colour & border thickness)
- text box settings (background colour, font size)
- arrow settings (arrow head size)

Sigh. Still waiting for these to be fixed ...  :(

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Regarding #1, I have completely rewritten a nice new thumbnail panel system but i just have to tweak it a little more before i integrate.. it solves the refreshing and is better in a bunch of ways.  what i have to do is get the normal right click file menu to work on it.

I thought i solved #2; i will look again.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:00 PM by mouser »

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Regarding #1, I have completely rewritten a nice new thumbnail panel system but i just have to tweak it a little more before i integrate.. it solves the refreshing and is better in a bunch of ways.  what i have to do is get the normal right click file menu to work on it.

Thanks for the update, very much looking forward to the improved refreshing and the soon to be implemented, improved scroll capturing functionality. Keep up the amazing work!

hubi

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Hope the following information helps re "not keeping settings"  :)

What I have worked out is that when it does not start minimized correctly it has overwritten the ScreenshotCaptor.ini file. Having taken a backup copy of this I can (via a simple batch file) exit the current running version, restore the .ini file and re-start ScreenshotCaptor.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
v2.82.01 - June 1st, 2010
  • [Feature] New "Splice" commands in SpecialFx menu -- allow you to splice out horizontal or vertical regions, like banners.  Good for removing ad regions in screenshots, etc.

hubi

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Like the new "splice" feature  :). Can we have it on the toolbar, please.

Question, re print settings - they don't appear to be saved as they revert to original settings after reboot i.e. when I print I set the margins to 1cm all round and next time I boot there back to 1 inch.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
it dosnt save the cm/inch thing, i need to fix that.  i think if you set it in inches it will remember.

hubi

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
it dosnt save the cm/inch thing, i need to fix that.  i think if you set it in inches it will remember.

Unfortunately no, it seems to keep resetting it to 1 regardless of unit selected  :(. Can we please have this added to the list of fixes.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
yes.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
mouser,

Can anybody replicate this?

I'm using Screenshot Captor v2.82.01 - June 1st, 2010 on Vista Home Premium with a user account, UAC On.  I've hit what seems to be a weird bug.  SSC locks up when I use Shift-PrtScr = Grab selected Region.  I make a screenshot, SSC makes its capture sound, and the New Screenshot window (at least I think that's its title - the buttons on the title bar obscure it) pops up.  At that point, SSC locks up and I have to forcibly terminate it.  I didn't try scrolling region or repeat last, but all the other methods seem OK.  This behaviour mostly happens if Shift-PrtScr is the FIRST capture.  That is, if I tried other methods first, it usually, but not always, works as expected; sometimes it locks up even if I have tried another capture method first.  I think Red Box mode may have a problem?  Something like this happened with the beta, but I think earlier versions were OK.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:28 PM by rjbull »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
it does sound like something is unhappy with red box mode, which uses a keyboard and mouse hook dll..

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
mouser,

What are the mouse and keyboard hooks called?  I'd like to check the Online-Armor HIPS hasn't stifled them.

That's one of the problems of malware defense - names are so enigmatic, it's not immediately obvious whether what's trying to run is kosher or no.

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
I am not mouser but I believe they are in the ScreenshotCaptor main folder as DcKeyHk.dll and DcMouseHk.dll

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks, hamradio - DcMouseHk.dll was in the Allowed list, but DcKeyHk.dll doesn't appear at all.  Hmmm.

@thehop

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi, btw - FYI

My NOD32 (Heuristic Scanner Option) interpret both Hooks DcKeyHk.dll + DcMouseHk.dll
as Win32/KeyLogger.BitLogic.AA application  :huh:

solong
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 09:30 AM by @thehop »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
Hi, btw - FYI

My NOD32 (Heuristic Scanner Option) interpret both Hooks DcKeyHk.dll + DcMouseHk.dll
as Win32/KeyLogger.BitLogic.AA application  :huh:
Long live overzealous antivirus heuristics :-* :-* :-*
- carpe noctem

hgondalf

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Love this app!  :Thmbsup:

I don’t know if this is a bug, but. . .  All my screen caps are dithered. The colors on captured image kind of blend into the surrounding color.  I think this is called “anti-aliasing”.  And blended colors are often dithered with random nearby pixels set to another, similar color.  Well, this is OK for onscreen viewing, I suppose (I don’t care for it, though), but it makes for very fuzzy images when they are used for print.

I’m creating a help manual that will be delivered in PDF format which will enable it to be both printed and viewed onscreen.  In any kind of zoomed view, the graphics are not sharp.

How can I turn off the anti-aliasing and dithering features in order to get  a sharp image for print reproduction?

(BTW I have dithering turned OFF in IrfanView.)

Thanks,

HarryG

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
glad you like it  :Thmbsup:

ok it sounds like what you are describing is the smoothing that is enabled by default when viewing images at non-100% zoom.

this has no effect at all on the true file quality that is saved or printer, it only effects viewing at non-100% zoom level.

however you can turn it off or configure it:
Screenshot - 6_30_2010 , 9_03_09 AM.png

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
mouser, i love how you put paragraphs of comments right in your interface.  i always say you have a grat knack of balancing powerful features with a nice UI.  You should be the CEO of both Sony and Apple and fix all their issues.