topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - v4.42.0 beta - July 21, 2022  (Read 1195759 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
now that is very strange..
so are you saying that:
1) previous versions worked
2) this version actually installs ok but gives that when it tries to run?

Rocketboy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello Mouser,

Yes, earlier versions of Screenshot Captor have worked.  I've used the last 2 versions on the same pc, same install of vista.  The last version that I was on was the mistakenly uploaded 'debug' version of Screenshot captor that threw up the extra dialog box when saving a file. 

This version installed fine, with no errors.

Rocketboy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Are there any registry keys or files that are not in the Screenshot Captor directory that I can try to clear out to do a new install?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Check your "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAMEHERE\Application Data\DonationCoder\ScreenshotCaptor" directory, especially if you are on vista on win7.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I can put up an older version if you want to try that -- i don't know how any change i made could have caused this.

Rocketboy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You know, I think I might have just spotted something.  We have roaming profiles here, and in my C:\Program Files\ScreenShotCaptor directory, I have a 'servername' directory.  In there, I have "users$", my account name, My Documents, DonationCoder, ScreenshotCaptor, and then a Screenshots directory.  This is on a clean install.  That looks quite unusual to me.

(testing something)

And it will run in portable mode....

but it won't run with the ConfigDir INI set to %MYDOCUMENTS% (which was commented out)

but it will when it's set to %PROFILE%

I think I got it.  The extra directory you called out above gave me the idea for the fix.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 12:27 PM by Rocketboy »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
try editing the configdir.ini file and specifying a custom configuration directory or something.

Rocketboy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
LOL, you posted that as I was editing my post...  :Thmbsup:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i think this is an old bug as recently i found myself looking at a bogus taskbar button whenever i set SC to auto-start with windows. here are the pics of the settings and 'ghost' button.

edit: this behaviour was caused by ZBar which happen to be running in the background at the time. i've emailed the author regarding this matter. :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 01:20 AM by lanux128 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Latest release:

v2.70.01 - July 26th, 2009
  • [MajorFeature] Full support of scanning functionality -- you can now use SC as your scanning tool of choice.
  • [MinorFeature] Discarding an image from quick popup now clears the image display, and doesn't perform any postcapture stuff.
  • [MinorFeature] Image Effects/Color Dialog is now forced to a large size over the original image.
  • [Feature] New second-instance commandline option passing; you can now pass commandline arguments when you call Screenshot Captor, and if an instance is already running -- these arguments will be passed to the FIRST instance while the second silently exits.
  • [Feature] New commandline arguments to begin a scan or initiate a capture.
  • [Feature] Screenshot Captor now registers itself as a potential target of Windows WIA/ImageCapture services -- so scanner buttons can be programmed to launch it and initiate a capture (or call with -scan on commandline manually).
  • [BugFix] The %file% parameter in external commandline tools was being cleared on startup.
  • [BugFix] Print configurations (margins, stretch) were not being properly saved and restored.
  • [BugFix] The post-capture popup dialog was sometimes not selectable without using alt-tab or keyboard to bring it to focus.
  • [BugFix] The post-capture popup dialog was hiding the save as and print dialogs.
  • [MinorFeature] Added support for custom commandline args in external file explorer/image editor, by using $$1 where file/folder should be specified.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm really interested to hear from people who use the scanner functions.. bound to be some rough edges still.

EDIT - I split off discussion of scanning functions to this thread: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=19324.0
Let's have discussions about scanning features there.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 07:58 PM by mouser »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Odd behavior in SSC 2.70.01. I usually make my capture and then keep the image and close the SSC popup, especially if I'm making a number of captures one after the other. Today all my captures looked fine in the thumbnail on the popup, yet when I subsequently attached the image to another app to image had changed to only a small piece of the original image.

I have attached a couple examples:

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

[attachthumb=#2][/attachthumb]

[attachthumb=#3][/attachthumb]

These were captures made of the FULL size windows of Clipmate, OneNote 2007, and NoteZilla respectively - if the attachments are loaded in the order I uploaded them; can't see them till after posting unfortunately - preview doesn't show them.

As I said the popup for each of these showed the full window in the thumbnail. Yet after attaching the Clipmate image and seeing it was now only a partial I started checking carefully and saw the same behavior with the OneNote and NoteZilla images. I made identical captures after these and they were correct. All captures were made using the hotkey Alt+Prnt Scr. About two to three dozen other captures made at the same time were OK.

What could cause this? Never happened before in over two years of using Screenshot Captor quite heavily.

Thanks!

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i need some clarificaiton.

you say
when I subsequently attached the image to another app

can you elaborate on the steps.  i get that you have it set to show the sc popup window.
then what do you do.. and do you see the full image in your sc window?
how are you getting the images from sc to the other app?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i need some clarificaiton.

you say
when I subsequently attached the image to another app

can you elaborate on the steps.  i get that you have it set to show the sc popup window.
then what do you do.. and do you see the full image in your sc window?
how are you getting the images from sc to the other app?

OK. I often use Alt-Prnt Scr to capture windows. In this case I was capturing screenshots of various application windows to insert them into the "Screenshot" dialog in SoftCAT, a software inventory database program.

When I make a capture I have SSC configured to show its popup. In all instances today after capturing the screenshot of each application window I clicked "Keep Image and Hide". In all the captures the thumbnail on the popup showed that I had indeed captured the entire window. Then I inserted the images into SoftCAT by clicking on the "Insert" button in SoftCAT which opens a pretty standard "Open File" dialog from which to select the image I wish to bring into SoftCAT. After I saw the messed up Clipmate image I opened the main window of Screenshot Captor to see what the image looked like there. To my surprise the image there was messed up too. Just a little piece of the title bar. Even though the SSC popup showed the full Clipmate window when I first made the capture.

After that little surprise I started opening SSC to the main window after each individual capture. In two more instances the SSC popup showed a thumbnail of the full window but upon opening SSC the image was cut down to a small part of the title bar - just like the Clipmate image. So it wasn't SoftCAT that was doing something funny. Screenshot Captor is doing this all by itself.

I cannot replicate this behavior on demand, but if I make enough captures a small percent of them come out like this. Just started with 2.70.01.

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ok so in the main window the screenshots are also messed up, and you are inserting them into your other programs by browsing for them.
it has to be something simple when the image is saved from the quick post-capture popup -- maybe some new scanner functionality i added that is bleeding over.
ill see if i can reproduce -- let me know if you figure out any more clues.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i think it must have to do with screenshot captor trying to do non-rectangular transparency effect fixup on the rounded borders of the active window.. but why it's suddenly acting up i don't know yet.  this happens AFTER the preview in the post capture box is shown, so that would explain why it looks ok in the pop up.  i could change that but it wouldn't solve the problem just give you an earlier warning.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 02:34 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
can i ask what operating system and what skin/theme you are using?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
can i ask what operating system and what skin/theme you are using?

XP Pro. Skin theme? No idea - where is that in Preferences? I don't see it.

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i guess you have the standard xp style silver theme, its in the appearance tab of right click on desktop properties.
i have my style set to classic which is why i am not familiar with it.

i can't manage to reproduce the problem -- on my pc it seems to capture the active window fine and even gets the rounded corners right.
really strange..

if anyone else experiences this please let us know.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
something did occur to me -- and that is the delay between the capture and this transparent border window removal when using the pop-up dialog..  because sc only queries windows for the screen region after the pop-up dialog closes, its possible if the window moves that this would cause a problem..  is it possible you moved the window being captured while the popup dialog was being shown?

regardless, let me try to make sc do the transparent window border cropping right away after capture and see if that fixes it.

Raghu Ram S S

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dear Mouser,

I should thank you for your Fantastic Mindblowing efforts in developing the ScreenshotCaptor program.  I use this program and find it very useful, especially since it is a .exe file which does not need any installation.  I have a small request.  In the Text Box option, we only have option to Horizontally Center Text (other options are right, left & justified).  However an additional option to center the text vertically too would be greatly helpful.  This will allow the users to position the Text in the center of the Text Box which will make it look very presentable.  I request you to consider this facility in your next upgrade.
Thanking you once again,
Regards
Raghu Ram S S

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Minor update with some fixes:

v2.72.01 - August 27th, 2009
  • [MinorFeature] You can now set the color of the thumbnail panel.
  • [MinorFeature] Interface Options now split into two tabs.
  • [BugFix] Triggering zoom-to-selection was reducing the selection size by one pixel on right and bottom edge.
  • [BugFix] Option to grab scanner background was not happening early enough so sometimes autoselection of foreground was not working in scanner captures.
  • [MinorFeature] SC now asks for confirmation when using the Delete All action.
  • [BugFix] When thumbnail panel was disabled completely, changes to the current file by an external tool were not detected.
  • [BugFix] Thumbnail/file panel was not being updated after unhiding it.
  • [BugFix] SC was not remembering what monitor it was last on in multi-monitor configurations.  sorry!
  • [BugFix] SC was moving to primary monitor after a region capture.
  • [BugFix] Post-capture dialog was showing on primary monitor regardless of main form position.

As i've been doing lately, i've uploaded the new version to the normal location, but i have not told the updater about it yet -- so if you want to grab latest, check for updates, then right click and say download even though not net.

This way i can hopefully get some reports from power users back before the update is recommended to everyone.

hubi

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Will this fix the problem where it also forgets approx 50% of the time some other settings

i.e.

Draw Highlighting Rectangle - reverts to 'Inner Color' check box ticked, and Line Width of 2 (I set it to 3)
Bottom area (one with the zoom pane, series and comments panes) which I hide by dragging all the way down

and of course the long standing bugs

1) Preview pane endless refresh

2) Crtl/C does not copy to clipboard (have to use the menu)

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - 2.72.01 - August 27, 2009
« Reply #148 on: September 03, 2009, 07:25 AM »
Just wanted to thank you for the update, most especially:

[BugFix] SC was not remembering what monitor it was last on in multi-monitor configurations.  ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - ScreenshotCaptor - 2.72.01 - August 27, 2009
« Reply #149 on: September 03, 2009, 07:35 AM »
sorry it took so long vegas  :up: