topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: activate Windows (7) mapped network drives  (Read 19853 times)

Losdollos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: activate Windows (7) mapped network drives
« on: April 21, 2013, 03:33 AM »
Good morning  :)

This appears to be a literally huge problem around the whole world, so learned my search for a solution to this problem.

It has been described perfectly over here:

http://ptihosting.co...indows-vista-solved/

However that solution doesn't work for me. There are really a zillion other 'solutions' going from tweaking the registry to changing the way you map the shared network folder (either via 'net use' or by putting in the hostname instead of the IP-address, or the other way around, and so on and so forth), but none of these work for me. To give you an example of these other 'solutions' (and there are many, many, many, more of them when you google around for hours as I did ( :(():

http://www.petri.co....owthread.php?t=59356

http://www.conetrix....ilable-Over-VPN.aspx

https://social.techn...a-9adc-3a4926db4d72/

http://answers.micro...8e-9fb3-5cc6f9336ff9

So, as in the problem description in the first post, I have the same kind of problem:
- Windows 7 Pro X64
- Synology NAS with mapped shares (x:\ for \\192.168.7.44\media, y:\ for \\192.168.7.44\office).
- On booting the PCs, the x:\ and y:\ appear invisible, but you can access them normally, by first double clicking on the drive (in explorer). Then the red cross disappears and the icon turns into green, and you can access it normally.
- The problem is this. As an example (but the problem is relevant for more applications): my girl and I use Office OneNote 2010, which allows you to have shared notebook. It is put on the NAS, and both my girl and I record 'todos', 'things to buy', and so on, in it. OneNote is supposed to sync this in the background, so that if I type something into it, my girl on her PC can also see that. This will work, but not when the drive icon is red. OneNote will tell you  'syncing not possible'. You then have to go into explorer, double click on y:\ once, et voila, Onenote happily syncs sinces it now 'sees' the share that was there all along. Of course this is extremely annoying (not only for this, but also because the problem is relevant for a bunch of other programs we use also).
- So, to make it clear, this has nothing to do with access rights: the logon data has been stored in Windows credential manager (as enterprise, so persistent), and Windows doesn't ask for a password, it simply has to do with these mapped drives *appearing* not to be online to Windows, whereas actually they were mapped at boot correctly. There is just 'something' that makes them appear offline.

To finalize it: at first I thought this might be having something to do with Synology, perhaps some problems in different SAMBA-protocols or whatever, but this appears not to be the case; I mapped a drive on a Windows 8 'puter to my Windows 7 work station, and the problem remains the same.

Is there an extremely talented developer who says 'no sweat, easy, peace of cake'? (I really, really, really, hope so, since I googled and tried for weeks, but I can't get it fixed  :().

Of course, just to confirm that I am not a 'free rider': I will happily donate money for a solution to this extremely irritating problem  :)

Thank you for your time and attention,

Bye,

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: activate Windows (7) mapped network drives
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 06:05 AM »
What if you just set a Scheduled Task to run at user logon of:

dir Y: >NUL && dir X: >NUL

Attached is a task you can import into the Task Scheduler along with a cmd file to put in C:\.

Something to try and it's reasonably simple.

You could also make it only happen if the network is available by setting a condition:

2013-04-21 21_12_24-Dir NAS Properties (Local Computer).pngIDEA: activate Windows (7) mapped network drives
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:16 AM by 4wd »

Losdollos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 11:04 AM »
What if you just set a Scheduled Task to run at user logon of:

dir Y: >NUL && dir X: >NUL

Attached is a task you can import into the Task Scheduler along with a cmd file to put in C:\.

Something to try and it's reasonably simple.

You could also make it only happen if the network is available by setting a condition:
 (see attachment in previous post)

Thanks for your reply  :)

Exactly that was what I thought of myself yesterday; but it won't dir, because Windows thinks the drive is offline (which it is not). So 'something' needs to simulate 'double clicking on each drive' (but then in more sound developers language  :D).

Thanks again  :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 11:14 AM »
Hi, Losdollos, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.  I know you've searched far and wide, but have you tried this?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937624

FWIW, I've solved this problem over the years by using a batch file with "net use" commands to map my drives.

Losdollos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 02:21 AM »
Hi, Losdollos, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.  I know you've searched far and wide, but have you tried this?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937624

FWIW, I've solved this problem over the years by using a batch file with "net use" commands to map my drives.

Thank you for your reply, Skwire  :)

Yes, I tried that also, but that also didn't work  :(

Just out of curiousity, would you mind posting your batch file? I tried using 'net use' but it didn't work for me. But if it works for you, perhaps I did make a mistake somewhere  :tellme:

Thank again for your help  :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 07:38 AM »
I tried using 'net use' but it didn't work for me. But if it works for you, perhaps I did make a mistake somewhere

I use the command like this:

net use s: \\server\c mypassword /USER:jody /PERSISTENT:NO

I always use the "/PERSISTENT:NO" option and then I either put a shortcut to the batch file in my startup folder or simply run the batch file manually after booting.  If you need me to break down the command part by part, just ask.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 09:48 PM »
Just as a matter of interest, what happens if you just use the UNC or IP address instead of mapping the drive?

I don't think I've mapped a drive since Win98, it was easier to use the IP - seemed to be a little more reliable also.

Losdollos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 03:54 AM »
I tried using 'net use' but it didn't work for me. But if it works for you, perhaps I did make a mistake somewhere

I always use the "/PERSISTENT:NO" option and then I either put a shortcut to the batch file in my startup folder or simply run the batch file manually after booting.  If you need me to break down the command part by part, just ask.

Thanks for your help  :)

I will try it and report back here  :D

Losdollos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 03:55 AM »
what happens if you just use the UNC or IP address instead of mapping the drive?

Thank you for your help  :)

If only I understood what you are saying, I am not so smart in these matters  :(

Would you mind explaning a little more what you mean?

Thank you in advance  :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 05:15 AM »
what happens if you just use the UNC or IP address instead of mapping the drive?

If only I understood what you are saying, I am not so smart in these matters  :(

No problem, UNC is Universal Naming Conventionw used to access a network shared resource which can be a file, folder, printer, etc.

eg. \\SomeComputer\SomeFolder\SomeFile

IP is what you've already posted above, \\192.168.7.44\media

Instead of mapping a NAS share so that you can use Y: or X: as a path to a file, just use the UNC path, (or IP), to access the folder\file, eg.

\\NAS\media          <- change NAS to whatever name your NAS shows up as, eg. Synology
\\192.168.7.44\media
\\NAS\office
\\192.168.7.44\office

and add them to your Favourites in Explorer, (or whatever filemanager you use).

I don't think Onenote would have any problem syncing if you specified either one of those forms, (I might be wrong though), most Windows programs since Win98 usually work with one or the other.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 06:28 AM »
That can also happen with a Samba share if you have the offline files option enabled in the W7 Sync Center control panel. Try disabling offline files and you should be ok. Unless, of course, you use that feature. :)

Also +1 w/4wd when he recommends using UNC. Mapped network drives can be fussy at the best of times. And with the advent of ActiveDirectory and their new security model, Microsoft now recommends that you use UNC for accessing network shares rather than mapped drives.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 06:37 AM by 40hz »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 06:58 AM »
That can also happen with a Samba share if you have the offline files option enabled in the W7 Sync Center control panel. Try disabling offline files and you should be ok. Unless, of course, you use that feature. :)

Might be good to mention that you loose indexing/the ability to search said files from the start menu that way. It also becomes next to impossible to add the target to a library (due to the can't index bit).

Also +1 w/4wd when he recommends using UNC. Mapped network drives can be fussy at the best of times. And with the advent of ActiveDirectory and their new security model, Microsoft now recommends that you use UNC for accessing network shares rather than mapped drives.

That strikes me as quite odd, considering a single GP mapped drive letter to a domain DFS root makes a myriad of problems vanish instantly. Why would anyone want to go back to the administrative overhead of tending multiple (saved UNC) shortcuts...it strikes me as the worst of both worlds.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 07:10 AM »

That strikes me as quite odd, considering a single GP mapped drive letter to a domain DFS root makes a myriad of problems vanish instantly. Why would anyone want to go back to the administrative overhead of tending multiple (saved UNC) shortcuts...it strikes me as the worst of both worlds.

The time I called MSoft's tech support with a similar issue I was told mapped drives were considered "legacy" and were kept mostly for compatibility reasons. UNC and FQDNs were where it was going. So I assumed that was MSoft's official position rather than just the tech's opinion - but maybe it was? Have you heard otherwise?

Losdollos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 10:03 AM »

Reporting back  :D

It doesn't work  :(

The *exact* example I took from you, but all I get is:

System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found

Googling on that gives the same type of 1001 things to try that might - and might not work.

However:

net view \\Diskstation
:(
Immediately does list all the directories (which reside inside \volume1, somehow Synology just simply shows the content of \volume1 automatically (which is good), instead of the content of \).

Why does it always have to be so difficult

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 10:05 AM »
Try using the IP of your NAS instead of the name.

Losdollos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 10:20 AM »

If only I understood what you are saying, I am not so smart in these matters  :(

No problem, UNC is Universal Naming Conventionw used to access a network shared resource which can be a file, folder, printer, etc.

eg. \\SomeComputer\SomeFolder\SomeFile

IP is what you've already posted above, \\192.168.7.44\media

Instead of mapping a NAS share so that you can use Y: or X: as a path to a file, just use the UNC path, (or IP), to access the folder\file, eg.

\\NAS\media          <- change NAS to whatever name your NAS shows up as, eg. Synology
\\192.168.7.44\media
\\NAS\office
\\192.168.7.44\office

and add them to your Favourites in Explorer, (or whatever filemanager you use).

I don't think Onenote would have any problem syncing if you specified either one of those forms, (I might be wrong though), most Windows programs since Win98 usually work with one or the other.

Thank you very much for your suggestion  :)

I'm a little bit lost how to use this, since: I use Totalcommander (ever since the days of MS-DOS and Norton Commander  :D). This, because I have never gotten used to how MS wants you to do filemanagement with the mouse and explorer; in Totalcommander, I simply select files in the left screen with <insert>, and do F5 or F6 to copy/move them to the right screen. Which is my mapped drive y:\ or x:\ (on the Synology NAS). I have been poking around, but if I don't have x:\ or y:\, then how do I select the directory on the NAS to move my files to, in Totalcommander?

I thought I'd take a screenshot to clarify what I mean  :D

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5466/donationcoder01.png
IDEA: activate Windows (7) mapped network drives

Losdollos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 10:21 AM »
Try using the IP of your NAS instead of the name.

I did that also  :D

Losdollos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 10:23 AM »

And thank you to you too  :)

I had good hopes that that would work, but no  :(

I tried it both on my main desktop (W7), and on a really really freshly installed W8Pro (my new HTPC); nothing  :(

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 10:47 AM »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 11:18 AM »
At this point I think the issue is likely being caused by a group policy setting.

Usually when you're having trouble connecting to a share it's caused by an encryption or other security setting. You'll run into that problem with Win7 connections to old Win2K servers sometimes.

Take a look at the connection specs and details on your server. If you gave an old version if Samba, the increased security Win7 looks for might be the problem.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 05:30 PM »

The time I called MSoft's tech support with a similar issue I was told mapped drives were considered "legacy" and were kept mostly for compatibility reasons. UNC and FQDNs were where it was going. So I assumed that was MSoft's official position rather than just the tech's opinion - but maybe it was? Have you heard otherwise?

I'd have to go with Tech's Opinion...if only from an administrative stand point. Walking a (stereotypical...) end user through \\anything is painfully time consuming. But telling them to go to (GP initiated mapped) drive X: and clicking on whatever-they-lookin-for is freaking cake...especially if you can remotely stuff any DFS link into said target before they get there..

I ain't givin' that up without a fight. ;)

At this point I think the issue is likely being caused by a group policy setting.

Usually when you're having trouble connecting to a share it's caused by an encryption or other security setting. You'll run into that problem with Win7 connections to old Win2K servers sometimes.

Take a look at the connection specs and details on your server. If you gave an old version if Samba, the increased security Win7 looks for might be the problem.

LM/NTLM vs. NTLMv2? There was mention of that in one of the articles a ran across in a quick google (For Mapped Drive Red X), it also stated that a VB script (and I suspect a .cmd) would execute more reliably than a standard batch file would.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 07:31 PM »

I ain't givin' that up without a fight. ;)

Don't blame ya - and for exactly the reasons you've given. ;D It is easier.

Especially when you discover that a share on a server named SVF01 sometimes works when it's called: \\SVF01\share - and sometimes only when it's called: \\SFV01.internal.mycompany.com\share - and this within the same domain depending on which client machine you're on!

Drives me nuts every time... :-\

LM/NTLM vs. NTLMv2? There was mention of that in one of the articles a ran across in a quick google (For Mapped Drive Red X), it also stated that a VB script (and I suspect a .cmd) would execute more reliably than a standard batch file would.

It had something to do with that. You needed to set the DWORD LmCompatibilityLevel (in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa) equal to "1" [See here.] Basically you needed to dumb down the default authentication and session security in Win7 so it wouldn't insist on NTLMv2. This applied when using old Win2k servers as well as when connecting to some Samba boxes.

But there were also two related policy settings that needed to be adjusted depending on which version of the Win desktop you were running. There was one for 32-bit and two for 64-bit. Got it in my KB somewhere but I can find it just right now.

Now where did I file the notes about those GPO changes? :huh:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 08:24 PM »
I'm a little bit lost how to use this, ....

For Onenote, instead of specifying the directory as Y:\ you'd specify it as \\Diskstation\office - Onenote should happily sync with that instead.  I don't use MS Office so maybe someone else can say exactly what you do.

I have been poking around, but if I don't have x:\ or y:\, then how do I select the directory on the NAS to move my files to, in Totalcommander?

Not sure about TC but in Directory Opus I can just specify a button that is the directory I want, eg.

2013-04-24 11_17_22-Computer.png

The button marked LAN will open three different remote shares depending on which mouse button I press:

Sue-PC = \\192.168.0.210        (or \\SUE-PC)
SABnzbd = \\192.168.0.208      (or \\SABNZBD)
WDLXTV = \\192.168.0.235      (or \\WDTVLIVE)

I would think that TC would allow you add drive buttons for specific destinations and then you can just use:

\\Diskstation\office
\\Diskstation\media

etc. and just label the buttons as you want.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 08:30 PM by 4wd »

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Fighting Slime all the Time
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 01:10 PM »
I would have thought Skwire's "net use" would be the solution.  But if a manual double click on multiple drives works for what you need, you could record a script using ghost mouse to do exactly that on every boot.  Just a thought