ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: activate Windows (7) mapped network drives

<< < (4/5) > >>

Losdollos:
what happens if you just use the UNC or IP address instead of mapping the drive?
-4wd (April 22, 2013, 09:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

If only I understood what you are saying, I am not so smart in these matters  :(

Would you mind explaning a little more what you mean?-Losdollos (April 23, 2013, 03:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

No problem, UNC is Universal Naming Conventionw used to access a network shared resource which can be a file, folder, printer, etc.

eg. \\SomeComputer\SomeFolder\SomeFile

IP is what you've already posted above, \\192.168.7.44\media

Instead of mapping a NAS share so that you can use Y: or X: as a path to a file, just use the UNC path, (or IP), to access the folder\file, eg.

\\NAS\media          <- change NAS to whatever name your NAS shows up as, eg. Synology
\\192.168.7.44\media
\\NAS\office
\\192.168.7.44\office

and add them to your Favourites in Explorer, (or whatever filemanager you use).

I don't think Onenote would have any problem syncing if you specified either one of those forms, (I might be wrong though), most Windows programs since Win98 usually work with one or the other.
-4wd (April 23, 2013, 05:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you very much for your suggestion  :)

I'm a little bit lost how to use this, since: I use Totalcommander (ever since the days of MS-DOS and Norton Commander  :D). This, because I have never gotten used to how MS wants you to do filemanagement with the mouse and explorer; in Totalcommander, I simply select files in the left screen with <insert>, and do F5 or F6 to copy/move them to the right screen. Which is my mapped drive y:\ or x:\ (on the Synology NAS). I have been poking around, but if I don't have x:\ or y:\, then how do I select the directory on the NAS to move my files to, in Totalcommander?

I thought I'd take a screenshot to clarify what I mean  :D

IDEA: activate Windows (7) mapped network drives

Losdollos:
Try using the IP of your NAS instead of the name.
-skwire (April 23, 2013, 10:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

I did that also  :D

Losdollos:
That can also happen with a Samba share if you have the offline files option enabled in the W7 Sync Center control panel. Try disabling offline files and you should be ok. Unless, of course, you use that feature. :)

Also +1 w/4wd when he recommends using UNC. Mapped network drives can be fussy at the best of times. And with the advent of ActiveDirectory and their new security model, Microsoft now recommends that you use UNC for accessing network shares rather than mapped drives.
-40hz (April 23, 2013, 06:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

And thank you to you too  :)

I had good hopes that that would work, but no  :(

I tried it both on my main desktop (W7), and on a really really freshly installed W8Pro (my new HTPC); nothing  :(

Stoic Joker:
have you tried this? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684

40hz:
At this point I think the issue is likely being caused by a group policy setting.

Usually when you're having trouble connecting to a share it's caused by an encryption or other security setting. You'll run into that problem with Win7 connections to old Win2K servers sometimes.

Take a look at the connection specs and details on your server. If you gave an old version if Samba, the increased security Win7 looks for might be the problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version