topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Newly coined term, "internet fury"? A sad article...  (Read 24713 times)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Newly coined term, "internet fury"? A sad article...
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 01:32 PM »
What a disaster. All for a simple joke? Sheesh. People need to stop being so bloody thin skinned and overly sensitive. I'd almost say that she got what she had coming, but it's the same kind of idiocy - more PC overly sensitive nonsense. Poetic justice? The irony is only overshadowed by the silliness of the whole thing.

I think you're right.  IMHO it's just another case of someone spilling out their guts on a social network and maybe too much caffeine ... or Vodka.  ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 01:50 PM »
As was suggested to the members when using The Well:

Try not to offend.
    Try not to be so easily offended.

Some of the best advice I ever heard for how to get along with others.
 :Thmbsup:

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 07:04 AM »
Try not to offend.
    Try not to be so easily offended.

Exactly.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 10:39 AM »
The other thing to remember is that I've also heard:

No one can offend you...
...you choose to take offense.  
And taking offense is like taking poison...
...and expecting the other person to die.

grandpastan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2013, 12:14 PM »
To Stephen6651 I would say that there is no need to use that type of language on this forum. Opinions can be expressed without the use of vulgar language.
“You can tell a lot more about a person by what he says about others than by what others say about him.” Anonymous

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2013, 12:58 PM »
To Stephen66515 I would say that there is no need to use that type of language on this forum. Opinions can be expressed without the use of vulgar language.

Vulgar?

As defined by who exactly?

Firstly...I don't even recall commenting on this thread o.0

Secondly, I like to use all the words offered to me by the English language.  Those of you who declared words "vulgar" "crude" or "inappropriate" need to step back, and realise...they are words.  Words are words are words are words.

Just because you and a small sub-set of others deem something to be bad...does that make it bad...truly?

People say eating meat is bad...should we all stop?

People say being black is bad...should all black people stop being black?

People say jews are bad...does that mean they should start spending more money?

there is no need

A wiser man than me once said:

It's not necessary to have coloured socks, it's not necessary for this cushion to be here, but is anyone going to write in and say 'I was shocked to see that cushion there, it really wasn't necessary'? No, things not being necessary is what makes life interesting -the little extras in life.

But...instead of just quoting said wise man...watch/listen here: (Chances are, you will find this offencive)

I offer no apology as I have done nothing that could possibly offend any sound minded person.

Everybody at DC knows what I am like, everybody knows my style of writing, and I think the majority of people know I won't stop swearing : ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2013, 02:16 PM »
@grandpastan - you might try this out. Easier to change how your browser works than it is to try to get somebody to change how they post.  :)

-----------------------

@Stephen - you know I think the world of you, but c'mon - point taken. Stop doubling-down. :P ;)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2013, 02:19 PM »
Stephen I think you're overreacting a bit [defensive]

grandpastan has a point - you understandably dont agree with it [I dont necessarily agree with it], but you're getting a bit carried away there with some of your comparisions.
Tom
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 04:33 PM by tomos, Reason: added content in [square brackets] »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2013, 02:24 PM »
Stephen - I think there's an issue of simple respect for your fellow forum members and human beings.  You don't have to agree or necessarily change  your behavior if someone says that something you did offended them -- but you also don't spit in their face and tell them their opinion doesn't matter.

I like what 40hz said:
Try not to offend. Try not to be so easily offended.

That's what we expect of people here.  And we try to use that as our guide rather than have a strict rules with people playing games to try to see how close they can get to breaking them.

And let me also point out that when there is an interesting thread with an interesting issue to discuss, it's a real shame when it gets derailed into a discussion of off-topic stuff.  It's fun sometimes but not every post has to be an excuse to post some random video or anecdote that takes us spiraling off topic.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2013, 03:02 PM »
And let me also point out that when there is an interesting thread with an interesting issue to discuss, it's a real shame when it gets derailed into a discussion of off-topic stuff.  It's fun sometimes but not every post has to be an excuse to post some random video or anecdote that takes us spiraling off topic.

I like to spiral as much as anyone, but what I have tried to do and suggest for others is to copy/quote the portion then "spiral it" in one of the three "Spiral threads" - either the humor NSFW one, or one of the basement political threads.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2013, 03:14 PM »
^I love TP's suggestion. Simple, neat, and effective.  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2013, 03:16 PM »
Yeah, that works fine.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2013, 06:44 PM »
o.0

but you also don't spit in their face and tell them their opinion doesn't matter.

Please re-read what I wrote.

but you're getting a bit carried away there with some of your comparisions.

(Notice I made a joke there, not actually gave a full comparison...the Jew one wasn't made to be serious...) :/

It's fun sometimes but not every post has to be an excuse to post some random video or anecdote that takes us spiraling off topic.

The video was there to backup my thinking.  No more, no less.  I did not spiral this discussion, I simply responded to somebody directly pointing a finger at me.

Please also notice how I stayed polite, calm, and collected throughout the whole message.  Seems people think I was disrespectful, but...I don't think I was.

People here should know, I only swear when I am 'fuming' about a topic.  Notice how said post was also "out-of-character" colourful.  How often do I use 10 different colours in my posts?  Sometimes...yes...but its 1/500.

The topic itself was a sensitive one, and one which caused me to use "bad words".

My final statement on this topic is the following.  I do not know the author, I read it on Pintrest (I think):

Everything we write, everything we have read, and anything we will ever read, is just 26 different letters, is just a different combination of 26 letters./quote]
-Unknown

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2013, 10:08 PM »
Please also notice how I stayed polite, calm, and collected throughout the whole message.  Seems people think I was disrespectful, but...I don't think I was.
-Stephen66515 (April 13, 2013, 06:44 PM)

Well, as long as you don't think so, I guess that argument just about settles it. :P ;D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2013, 10:31 PM »
I should say that I appreciate Stephen's approach to life and the the stephen fry video -- personally i'm a big fan of cursing. and the video is arguably related to the topic of this thread..  still, i think when someone is offended i think the default reaction should be one of respect for their feelings.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 12:58 PM by mouser »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2013, 12:43 PM »
Belated response :-[ -
yes, I see and acknowledge your points Stephen.
The video was great btw (the gratuitious use of unnecessary cushions was brilliant).
In retrospect I see I was mostly put off by your intro -
Vulgar?

1 came across as aggressive.
2 came off a bit like 'I dont care enough look at the post in question'.

That came across to me as not-respecting (and it still does - I realise it may not have been intended that way). My reading of that coloured the way I read the rest of the post. So I would say I over-reacted overall to the post in the end.
And one could even say that the whole episode is related to the topic too :-\ :P
Tom

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2013, 02:24 PM »
Belated response :-[ -
yes, I see and acknowledge your points Stephen.
The video was great btw (the gratuitious use of unnecessary cushions was brilliant).
In retrospect I see I was mostly put off by your intro -
Vulgar?

1 came across as aggressive.
2 came off a bit like 'I dont care enough look at the post in question'.

That came across to me as not-respecting (and it still does - I realise it may not have been intended that way). My reading of that coloured the way I read the rest of the post. So I would say I over-reacted overall to the post in the end.
And one could even say that the whole episode is related to the topic too :-\ :P

Lol, the "Firstly" point was actually a shot at my own bad memory (Joke gone wrong lol)

And one could even say that the whole episode is related to the topic too

Strangely enough, you are right...this entire "spin" is actually more on topic than the topic itself lol.

Grandpa stan, like I say, I can make no apology for something where I don't feel like I was in the wrong, however, I do understand your thinking :)

I also apologize for being bad at wording my post to the point where sly jokes where misinterpreted (understandably) :D

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2013, 07:28 PM »
-Stephen66515 (April 14, 2013, 02:24 PM)

That's about right, one person complains and the next thing you know everyone is in a frenzy. Sound familiar?   It's no secret that occasionally I drop the F bomb, but I try not to do this in the Living Room since it's an open forum.  With that being said, if there is no swearing allowed in this forum, then the filter should be set so.  If no such filtering is available, then it should be known that such post will be deleted.  Problem instantly solved.....

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2013, 03:56 AM »
^Seems to me the problem got solved pretty well :up:

(FWIW I try to avoid swearing myself as well in the main forums - but it isn't banned)
Tom