topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Audio Podcast Radio Show - Show #1 - April 30, 2006  (Read 21205 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Audio Podcast Radio Show - Show #1 - April 30, 2006
« on: April 29, 2006, 10:34 PM »
The First DonationCoder Audio Podcast Radio Show
broadcasting this Sunday (April 30, 2006), at 8pm New York Time

Which of your favorite forum members will make a guest appearance?
How funny is it to hear someone rant against software?
What does Cody's theme sound like?
Tune in to find out!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 11:17 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A little over 4 hours until the podcast is available!!!

Anyone have a favorite podcast client?

Here's what worked for me on windows:

Note that you don't actually *need* a podcast compatible client to listen to the show, you can download the mp3 manually and play it in a mp3 player, BUT the experience is funner with a podcast client and it will subscribe to the show and show you more info, and organize the shows for you and let you know when a new episode is available.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 03:11 PM by mouser »

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What's the URL for the RSS feed for the podcast -- the rss image on the page doesn't have a link.

I've never listened to a postcast prior, so . . . I have no software installed to handle subscriptions.  I'll just listen to the raw mp3 file this round, methinks -- might try out juice.

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FeedDemon's FeedStation seems pretty good, and it's free - http://www.newsgator...x?ProdID=FeedStation

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
edit: i could not figure out how to get FeedStation to work to listen to streams (i dont have a newsgator account, maybe one is needed?)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 03:12 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
another free windows client: http://www.nimiq.nl/
podcast listener for mobile pcs: http://www.dopplerradio.net/

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
instructions for using winamp to receive podcasts (from http://radio.sprawli.../#winampInstructions):

• Ensure you have Winamp 5.1 or later. You can find it on Nullsoft's Winamp site.
  • In Winamp, if the Media Library window is not already open, open it by pressing Alt L or by selecting Media Library in the context menu (usually by right-clicking the main window).
  • In the left pane of the window, select Subscriptions under the SHOUTcast Wire heading.
  • Click the Add button under the Channel list.
  • Bring up the Add RSS Subscription dialog and paste the .xml url.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i have now uploaded the xml feeds for the show, with a TEST audio clip.
https://www.donationcoder.com/podcast

so you have a couple hours to figure out how to subscribe to it and get everything working.  Then at 8pm new york time the first episode of the radio show will be added.  You can just "refresh" or "check" the subscription in your podcast client and it should find it automatically and let you download it.

Important Note:
Please feel free to come by the irc chat channel to discuss the show live!
For more info -> https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=772.0
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 05:22 PM by mouser »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FeedStation only works within FeedDemon, which requires registration. It works fine inside of it, though. WinAmp is so easy that it might be preferred for many.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
what accent does superboyac have?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ok.. I've just listened to the first broadcast, and here's my opinion:
THANKS!
Thank you very much zaine, app, joto, housetier, deozaan, superboyac, and as always, mouser. Definatelly a great listen, very funny, captivating!
The only part i didn't like was the "the end" part. The podcast ended too fast ;)
Fantastic work!  :Thmbsup:

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
superboyac, your comments were on user interfaces are SO TRUE to my experience! And how come all the Germans speak English so damn well, and when I speak German, I sound like an idiot? (Don't answer that.) Loved joyo's comments, and Housetier's GrokLaw review and focus on the SCO case, and had some great laughs over every segment. Even the music is funny, reminding me of a split between David Lynch movie theme and Public Broadcasting on a Saturday!

Thanks to all the contributors, notably the "first computer" segment. I absolutely can't wait to hear from others in the second broadcast, er, podcast.

My only suggestion for the May podcast would be to list on the forum/DCC site a time index for each segment so I know where to find what and what's coming up.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 08:44 PM by zridling »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks guys - I am listening as I type so I can't comment on everyone's contributions yet but I must say I really enjoyed Zaine's rant! How come so many of you sound like you have been doing this sort of thing for years ?

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks to everyone involved in the Podcast - it's great listening!  I enjoyed hearing voices I've been reading for months, and the music is fantastic.  A very polished performance, and great fun too.  Well done.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That was an awesome podcast! Everyone was great (except my part ;) ) and the music was very charming. It reminds me of some old-school happy cartoon, like Peanuts.

I just have to tell you that the Blue Man Group is awesome! They make good music and while I've never been to a live concert of theirs I've seen a video of one and it was very, very fun!

I share the same concerns with UIs. I took me years to upgrade winamp past version 2.8 lite (as in, since '99 to this year) because I didn't want all the clutter. I still don't like the default skin's bigness, but it provides some options I've been wanting, like repeat one track. It seems to run slower, though, sometimes taking a few seconds to show my playlist. But, yes, I even make the size of the minimize, maximize and close buttons in Windows smaller. They're just huge by default.

Good job everyone and thanks Mouser! My only suggestion would be to make it a little louder next time. I keep my speakers at a slightly loud volume and I had to turn it up and -still- couldn't hear a word here and there.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
yep, volume wasn't great and was a bit inconsistent.
we will try to normalize it better next time and put it all at a good standard volume.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
But, yes, I even make the size of the minimize, maximize and close buttons in Windows smaller. They're just huge by default.
Yep, true. I do the exact same thing. And the best thing about it is that it actually looks better with the smaller buttons, So, you get a more usable, more space-friendly, and even more visually appealing! :D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
what accent does superboyac have?

I didn't notice that Superboyac had an accent.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i seem to be the only one who noticed an accent..  i can tell you he's not from my part of the united states that's for sure :)
superboyac where are you from?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ha!  Wow, I've never been accused of having an accent in my life!  However, let me give my background:  I'm Armenian, but I was born and raised in Southern California, and have never set foot out of this country unless you count a cruise in Florida and a week vacation at Niagara Falls.  The only time in my life I've been accused of having any sort of accent is in 8th grade when people got on my case for saying "tangerine" like "tayne-gerine".  Go figure.

I'm listening to my podcast, and I can maybe sense a slight Southern touch to my speech.  Maybe it has something to do with being self-conscious about talking to myself.  I probably sound different when I have a live audience.

A friend of mine sometimes makes fun of the way I talk sometimes, just to piss me off.  But he just makes me sound like an over-exagerrated Goofy than whines a lot (partly because I complain about a lot of things, as you guys know/will know).

Oh well, that's how it goes.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
in case it wasn't clear - i wasn't implying any negative connotation, i quite like the accent. i was just remarking as an East-coast person (new york), you had a subtle accent that i couldn't quite place. doesn't sound southern to me.  perhaps it is your own unique invented accent :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's clear, trust me.  :Thmbsup:

Well, I definitely don't have an east-coast accent.  And I don't have the typical surferboy accent that a lot of people have here.  You're probably right, it's just my own thing.  Some of my cousins have an Armenian accent, but they grew up in parts of Los Angeles that have Armenians everywhere.  I grew up away from all that, mostly whites and asians around.

Maybe I'll do my next podcast in a mock surferboy accent.  No offense to surferboys, but I turned on my local cable channel last night, and they were interviewing the swim team members from my high school (of which I was a member of ), and they were all these whiteboys and all spoke with the same annoying surferboy accent.  When I was on the team, at least there were almost 30% asian guys on the team also, and I was the only middle-eastern dude.  Now, it's all white.  I don't get it.

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm late to chime in but...

That was actually pretty good,it's definitely got an Ira Glass,This American life thing going for it,which is
a good format,very professional. :Thmbsup: