topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:11 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Seriously 'funny' idea - what if DRM was applied to physical objects?  (Read 6026 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Are you confused by the thorny and convoluted logic used by some parties to justify and preach the 'benefits' of DRM? Do you worry you're completely missing something? Or possibly suspect somebody is just trying to put one over on you?

Well, take heart!  :Thmbsup: Sometimes you just have to mentally flip things 180 degrees to get a whole new insight into an issue.

What exactly are the ramifications of single-play and limited-use DRM schemes? A group over at the University of Art and Design in Lausanne Switzerland provided an excellent illustration by creating a chair which you can only sit on eight times before it self-destructs.

chair.png

Hackaday posted this article which is funny to read - and frightening to think about if the idea ever catches on!

Check out how the: DRM Chair only works 8 times

:huh:

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 08:07 AM by 40hz »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"Don't Encourage Them!"

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am never going to look at product recalls quite the same way again. I will always wonder if things like this were just DRM'd.  :huh:

Oh, and nice use of nichrome wire for something other than what I used it for back in 6th grade science class (cutting homework in half).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 08:57 AM by app103 »

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have an idea

A piece of code (or any object, anything) that self destructs, if a vendor sells more than 1000 copies then there won't be anything to sell.

:-\

SeraphimLabs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • Be Ready
    • View Profile
    • SeraphimLabs
    • Donate to Member
Um, this chair is a fire hazard.

Notice the smoke?

Yeah, that nichrome is getting too hot while melting the wax, the chair could ignite the flammable wax and cause a far more serious problem than just a DRM'd chair.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Apple is considering this "feature" with their upcoming watch -- you can only look up the time 99 times before it requires you insert your credit card again.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member

Notice the smoke?

Yeah, that nichrome is getting too hot while melting the wax, the chair could ignite the flammable wax and cause a far more serious problem than just a DRM'd chair.
-SeraphimLabs (March 04, 2013, 05:22 PM)

Are you trying to say that people that buy the chair are just looking to get burned? :P ;D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Notice the smoke?

Are you trying to say that people that buy the chair are just looking to get burned? :P ;D

clearly if you get to that stage you must be a pirate, so this is justified

of course the flow on from this is that all chairs that don't catch fire are a)infringing on their patent, and b)clearly the work of pirates.  Either way, legal action will have to be taken to bring the culprits to heel

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Notice the smoke?

They originally wanted it to blow up rather than just fall apart. But supposedly none of them was willing to 'test sit' a chair that could do that.

What can I say? They're obviously not stupid. :) ;)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
you must be a pirate
You're Kidding!

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Notice the smoke?

They originally wanted it to blow up rather than just fall apart. But supposedly none of them was willing to 'test sit' a chair that could do that.

What can I say? They're obviously not stupid. :) ;)

And they didn't have the $100 to pay a stuntman.  ;D

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  Of course there's always Ejection Seats:

EjectionTest.JPG