topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What buttons should be in Screenshot Captor post-capture dialog?  (Read 6307 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Im trying to decide which few buttons should be in the post-capture popup dialog.
Personally I don't use it, but I understand it can be especially important to new users who might be scared by the main interface.

Here's the current dialog:
postcap1.png

What I plan to do is remove the Thumbnail button as it's not so important; and i think i'll compress the clipboard options into one button with a drop down selection; that will allow several different clipboard copy options (copy image, copy file path, copy file object) into one button.

I could leave it at that and just remove a row of buttons -- that would have the advantage of being even less intimidating.

But I could also add one or two more rows of 2 buttons each (any more than that and I think users will feel overwhelmed).

Any suggestions?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What buttons should be in Screenshot Captor post-capture dialog?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 10:50 PM »
I suppose if this really is going to be a dialog used by new users, a "Help Me!" button that took them to the forum here might not be a terrible idea..

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 11:19 PM »
I have never and probably never will print from a dialog like this. A dialog like this which is the first thing I see and I haven't seen the image in its full size and/or haven't edited it.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 02:58 PM »
my suggestions:

+ 1 for removing print
Then you could keep the two copy buttons seperate (preferable to me at any rate)
Halve the width of the "Send To" drop-down, and add the "Help Me" button beside it.
You'd still have one row less than now :up:
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 05:02 PM »
Here is my latest attempt:
popcap2.png

You can download the new beta here.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 05:07 PM »
The hardest part about this is that different people have different needs -- no way to please everyone.

But i'm trying to think who would be using the post-capture dialog most often, and i think hardcore SC users are not likely to be using it.. Therefore I'm trying to focus on providing the most common easy to understand features for casual users, and have it serve as a good gentle first introduction to the program.

I think having the Clipboard items as a menu made sense because there are now 3 options there instead of two, and made no sense to have 3 buttons.

The help menu is more like a "More.." menu, and i may rename it to that and put other things in it.  Right now there is Help file, Link to forum, link to open Options dialog.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 05:46 PM »
Caption?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 06:05 PM »
Neat idea.

Having a way to quick-add a caption from this form is intriguing.. One could imagine adding a caption, or adding "comments" (the notes at bottom of main screen embedded into images), or a combo.. only question is whether there is a clean simple way to do it..

I could add a one line edit box with an option somewhere else about what to do with this text if the user provides it; options being "add it to image comments" or "add a caption with this text".

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 06:57 PM »
I uploaded a new beta that has preliminary support for this -- it's not perfect but it's good enough for us to see if we like it.
Currently there are no options for what to do with a custom caption -- it will ALWAYS be added to the comment field AND added as an explicit caption object to the image (and included in any printed caption that would have printed by default).

Let me know what you think.

I plan to have an option to let you customize whether to just add it to image comment field and not add an explicit caption object.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 07:25 PM »
You're a fast worker!

Works well for me at adding a caption.
I'd forgotten about the pop-up option but that's quite a handy way to set a caption.

There's so much available in SC that I have the feeling that I never use more than about 30% of its capability. (Yes, I watched the movies.)
Might it be useful to have an option to change the captured file name to whatever is the caption?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 07:33 PM »
Might it be useful to have an option to change the captured file name to whatever is the caption?

Might be nice to have an option for that.. something like "use initial X characters of custom comment as filename"..

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 07:40 PM »

Might be nice to have an option for that.. something like "use initial X characters of custom comment as filename"..
Sounds good, if anyone else thinks it might be useful.
Since I can't count much beyond, um... 11, would there be an 'all' option or would entering an oversized number get the whole caption e.g. 'This is my caption' -> use the first 100 characters -> 'This is my caption'

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 10:33 AM »
The changes and additions to the popup are great. Especially like the ability of adding a caption here. Just makes it easier and faster for me at least.
Could there be a setting for after adding the caption to save and hide instead of it saving and havng the main window pop up?
Edit: Never mind. Don't know what I was thinking. All I need to do is hit the save & hide.  :-[

I also have a request but for the main window. Could a hotkey (or button to the toolbar) be added to copy the caption of a saved image to the clipboard? Please, please, please...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 10:40 AM by bob99 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 10:58 AM »
Could a hotkey (or button to the toolbar) be added to copy the caption of a saved image to the clipboard?

If you add a caption via the post-capture popup, it will also be in the comment/note section at the bottom of the main window, below file name.  If you click in there and do Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C you will copy it all to the clipboard.  Is that sufficient?

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 01:29 PM »
Could a hotkey (or button to the toolbar) be added to copy the caption of a saved image to the clipboard?

If you add a caption via the post-capture popup, it will also be in the comment/note section at the bottom of the main window, below file name.  If you click in there and do Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C you will copy it all to the clipboard.  Is that sufficient?

This is the way I have been doing it. And can continue to. Thought it would be a logical addition since there is already the Ctrl-C to copy the image and the copy path to clipboard icon next to the quick name field. Just cuts down on repetitive steps/keystrokes when you're taking a number of screenshots or transferring images and notes to a different app.

I've been trying out a couple of macro recording programs for some shortcuts between other programs. I can give them a shot to see what they can do.