topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Screenshot Captor 3.28 aka 4.0RC Beta Test - Mar 17, 2013 - Feedback Wanted  (Read 141378 times)

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mouser,

I ran it through some tests and the items I'd mentioned with the captions and captions pop-up are still working fine.
Also do not see any problem with the save as.

joby_toss

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello!
Using SC 3.29.01 portable on win7x64sp1; trying to capture the Settings (child window) of FreeCommander XE using "Grab Active window"; the border includes parts of the main app. Works fine with different other apps. Might be some bad setting?

SC settings:

Thanks!
I am a 3D body trapping a single dimension soul.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
hi joby.

the border includes parts of the main app.

This is a known and low-priority issue that happens when you are trying to capture a semi-transparent window which is a child window in front of a main form.  Basically the parent form refuses to get out of the way to let SC figure out the background transparency.

I may have a look at the issue again sometime in the future.

Thanks for the report though.

thanks bob99 too.  looks like it's close to official release day..

joby_toss

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oops! Should've read the forums more often!   :-[
Thanks!
I am a 3D body trapping a single dimension soul.

bubbajunk

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I downloaded the latest version. I noticed the following:

1) Using Ctrl+A now works to select all objects in Object mode. This allows me to quickly select and delete all objects. Thanks for correcting.
2) I can see that count number for the "modified (XX)" count now shows the count number. I'm still having sometimes the last ")" being cutoff. It doesn't happen all of the time, just sometimes. I'm trying to replicate the steps that cause it to be truncated. I'm not sure if it's when I come back to a screen capture after having selected a different capture.
3) I had a scenario where I applied multiple Undo's and got back to Modified (0), but kept hitting Ctrl+Z and had modifications from other captures applied to active capture. Will try to replicate again. Are the modifications only saved for the current capture or the current session? So if you go between captures in a given session are all modifications saved to each individual capture until you close the session?
4) I have "Switch to Object Selection mode after new object" unchecked in order to place multiple objects. This is working correctly for me. The question I have is that when I've placed several highlighting objects, and while still in highlighting object mode, it doesn't appear to be possible to modify the width / length of the box. I had assumed that since placing the box the yellow resizing circles are present, that I would be able to hover over the circles of the object just placed and be able to resize it. Doing so, does not present the resizing arrows. This may be by design, and if so it's a little confusing since it appears that the object could be resized. I would prefer to be able to resize the existing object or place a new object.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I had assumed that since placing the box the yellow resizing circles are present, that I would be able to hover over the circles of the object just placed and be able to resize it.

hmm i see what you mean, that is a bit confusing.  i'm not sure i can fix it to let you modify those when you have that option.  but perhaps what i can do is make escape switch you into object edit mode first, rather than directly into normal region select mode.  in that way you could at least hit escape to start modifying locations.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
On further testing it looks like my fix for app's odd taskbar problem did in fact have a negative side effect -- if you triggered multiple captures in the post-capture form mode in quick succession, it could lead to a case where the post-capture form became invisible.

I've uploaded a new version now that should fix this.

Never mind, app says the original bug is back.. so you might as well hold off on testing for now.. sigh.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 01:49 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New version is up -- I'd appreciate any testing once again.. I reallly appreciate everyone's patience in testing this and putting up with all the updates..

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
On a fresh install of the portable beta, experienced the following:

1. Click "Toggle Screenshot Captor window" in the Quick Capture Bar.
2. Close the window that appears.
3. Hover the pointing device pointer over the buttons in the Quick Capture Bar.
4. Notice that the tooltips don't show up.

FWIW, clicking the "Display Screenshot Captor options for Quick Capture Bar" button seems to restore the tooltip displaying ability.

This was with Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit.

Thanks to Josh's recent tip (and may be a change to SSC?), the following key sequence brings up SSC's main form:

Win+B
possibly use right arrow key some number of times
context menu (a.k.a. APPS) key
M
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 03:14 AM by ewemoa »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah the tooltips don't display reliably.. i haven't been able to solve that one yet.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I noticed this happening and just figured it was my machine taking a little longer to refresh or whatever it would be called. When they don't show up I found that if I go over and click in one of the "dead" areas of the bar the tool tips would wake up. Takes maybe a second and just an extra click. The more I am using it I've learned what each icon is and really don't notice if they are there or not now.

Mouser,
It probably won't be too long until the final. But until then could you add something in the 'about' screen or somewhere a sub number, letter or something to tell us the minor tweak version number we're working with.  I want to make sure I'm testing the latest.  :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've uploaded a new version in an attempt to fix the Quick Capture bar tooltips/hints so that they always show (I've also added current hotkeys to the hints).

It's a weird kludge that was requried, so let me know if you notice any problems.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've uploaded a new version in an attempt to fix the Quick Capture bar tooltips/hints so that they always show

Seems to be working here  :up:

I've also added current hotkeys to the hints

Nice touch!

On a somewhat related note, any thoughts about trying to put some of the functionality provided in the likes of the following in your apps?

http://www.mousefeed.com/
  http://plugins.jetbr....com/plugin/?id=1003

May be a good library project too ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Seems to be working here
awesome.

I do plan to add a more modular flexible hotkey system to SC in a future version.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wanted to publicly thank longtime dc member app103 for the great clipart she has made for Screenshot Captor; if you've never used the Clipart feature in the program, now would be a good time to try it -- there are some useful items in there.  :up:

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You're welcome.  :)

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
For some reason I hadn't tried the clipart feature until recently.  :huh:
It's very useful and something I'll be using more now.

Thanks app103 for providing the updated clipart.  :Thmbsup:

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If anyone has any suggestions for more clipart they like to see me make, to be released as add-on packs, there is a thread for requesting it, here: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=34110.0

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Clipart is fun :)
Spoiler
Screenshot - 2013-03-23 , 21_04_17.png

Clipart didnt show initially (v3.30.01) under MyClipart\ (presumably My Documents\DonationCoder\ScreenshotCaptor\MyClipart) but did show under the next option -Clipart\. I cant find that on disk though. This might be due to me changing my default SC save folder(?) but it's not there in the new location either.
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The MyClipart directory points to a different directory, where you can put your own custom clipart.
So that's not a bug, its just showing you that your custom clipart directory is currently empty and you need to select another one.
Perhaps I should try to improve that to make it less confusing.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The MyClipart directory points to a different directory, where you can put your own custom clipart.
So that's not a bug, its just showing you that your custom clipart directory is currently empty and you need to select another one.
Perhaps I should try to improve that to make it less confusing.

default would be better the directory with clipart if possible (where is it btw?)

Missed most of the betas since the early ones - icons are looking great in autohide bar and in main window.
Thumbsup to you (for everything else!) and hamradio :Thmbsup:
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Minor update -- clipart directories are now sorted and so should first open on a filled clipart directory.
More importantly, SC now remembers the last clipart directory you were using -- should make it easier to work with your favorite clipart.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The last 2 or 3 releases no longer quit automatically when running the installer for an update. Something got probably messed up in the shutdown-code. Also the System-tray menu is not responding when I then try to activate it to shutdown SSC. CPU-usage is ~0% so it's not in an endless loop, I assume. Most likely these issues have something related.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The last 2 or 3 releases no longer quit automatically when running the installer for an update. Also the System-tray menu is not responding when I then try to activate it to shutdown SSC.

now he tells me.

these things are working fine for me.. can you reproduce this behavior?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Simple, I leave SSC running but hidden in the tray, download the latest beta, run that, then it complaints I need to end it before it can be updated. Try to close it by right-clicking the tray icon but that doesn't respond, so I terminate ssc using processexplorer. Then the installer can continue.
I'm on Win7, x64.