topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:25 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Problem with Grab Selected Region  (Read 15221 times)

andrew.r

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Problem with Grab Selected Region
« on: February 19, 2013, 12:50 PM »
I upgraded to the latest version and have a problem with capturing selected region.

In the older version I was able to position the area and enter now I have some red box and when I hit enter the SC in the system tray remains red.

What am I doing wrong? Would like to use the old version method if possible. This is a great tool, thanks for your help.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Problem with Grab Selected Region
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 02:43 PM »
Hi andrew, welcome to the site.

It sounds like you have enabled the old redbox capture mode for capturing regions.

May I suggest you download the latest beta that I just posted here,
and then go to preferences and find the "Advanced Tweaking -> Selection Capture Options" tab, and at the bottom where it says "When to use Red Box" choose "Objects not Regions".

ps.
I will be moving this post to the Screenshot Captor section of the forum.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:42 PM by mouser »

andrew.r

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 09:41 PM »
Sorry, but the selected region capture worked the first time after the suggested change but not subsequently.

I see a cross hair that I am able to move around that does not appear to define the area I want to capture and a red box that I don't know what it is for.

I have no idea how to define the area I wish to save and when I just hit enter the SC in the tool bar stays red.

Any help is appreciated, I don't know whether there is something I am doing wrong or something has changed but never had this problem before for years. ScreenShotCaptor is a fantastic tool and I wish it would work for me for selected region capture as it has all along in the past.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:49 PM by andrew.r »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 09:53 PM »
See if your settings match this screenshot.
Sometimes the settings change after installing a new version.
"Selection Capture Options"

andrew.r

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:10 AM »
I tried to downgrade to 3.04.01 and when I have the settings as above then I get a cross hair that I can move around and a box with a red cross hair moves around. I don't see how I can selected a region and when I hit enter the SC toolbar stays red.

However, with "Objects and Regions" and "Region Mode" selected using ver. 3.04.01 likely same for the latest I have a red square that can be intuitively expanded as necessary and can easily capture a selected area.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 12:15 PM »
It sounds like maybe we have been giving you the opposite result and you prefer redbox capture mode.
In which case in the new version choose to use Red Box Capture Mode option "Objects *AND* Regions"

However, to answer your question about how to perform a selected region capture in the new mode, you dont hit enter, you click and hold left mouse and drag it to select the region to capture.

andrew.r

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 02:56 PM »
OK, thanks for your help and patience.

I went to my desktop where I have SC V2.88.01 installed and Objects Not Regions and Object Mode are selected. A prominent black cross appears and I left click and drag to desired location, the demarcation red lines are clearly seen. No problem here on the desktop been using SC for many years.

However, something had changed with SC on the notebook for whatever reason.
Again, installed the latest SC Beta from yesterday on the notebook leaving SC V2.88.01 on the desktop. The default is the red box mode which I seem to prefer over the other because in the newest release the zone demarcation lines are rather faint red and no black cross to start as I recall, also don't see the need/purpose for that data box that shows something? Dragging with left mouse key and releasing only resulted in the SC in the tray to be red?

BTW the notebook is frequently changed back and forth to the TV display.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 03:05 PM by andrew.r »