topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The Cost of Rudeness  (Read 4560 times)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Cost of Rudeness
« on: February 01, 2013, 07:20 PM »

The cost of rudeness in the workplace
Incivility at work hurts the bottom line.

http://www.smartplan...-the-workplace/11763

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Cost of Rudeness
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 07:30 PM »
I really want to say "No shit"

So...

No Shit
700px-Nicolas_Cage_Vampire's_kiss_-_You_don't_say.jpg

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 07:36 PM »
Interesting.

It hits something that I've noticed/been thinking about for a while - watch just about any TV show/movie and you'll see the main characters are overly aggressive most of the time. Watch someone ask for a cup of coffee and they can't ask politely. Instead, they have to bark orders and berate people (usually characters with no lines). When you stop to think about it, the behaviour is really completely unjustified and beyond simply being rude.

Main characters regularly dehumanize walk-ons and characters with no lines. The level of civility is almost non-existent. One has to wonder if these consistent messages don't pour over into real life. My bet is that they do.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 08:02 PM »

In the chicken-egg spin apparently audiences want "edgy" characters as part of the escape from drudgery.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 08:19 PM »
In the chicken-egg spin apparently audiences want "edgy" characters as part of the escape from drudgery.

Edgy or psychotically rude? :P

Good timing - Quite by accident, I just tripped over this:

http://orthomolecula...rticles/webach.shtml

It's an article on nutrition and aggressive behaviour.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 07:11 AM »
Watch someone ask for a cup of coffee and they can't ask politely. Instead, they have to bark orders and berate people (usually characters with no lines). When you stop to think about it, the behaviour is really completely unjustified and beyond simply being rude.

And this is why I won't ever work in food service, ever again. I hate hangry people.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 10:22 AM »
Edgy or psychotically rude? :P
Good timing - Quite by accident, I just tripped over this:
http://orthomolecula...rticles/webach.shtml
It's an article on nutrition and aggressive behaviour.

C - Other - "If they're not sufficently vicariously interesting we'll change the channel" rude.

It's a tremendous flaw with a ton of modern TV and I don't know how it's gonna get fixed. Basically none of those characters ever gets called to pay for being mean so it's like a cathartic TV release. I mean, I get the issues and all, but ever seen "Being Human"? Fun little show, but HOPELESSLY full of "Fridge Logic". (see TV Tropes.)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 12:58 PM »
I'm amazed by how placid developers (often) are when responding to users who are basically being very rude.
Of course as a user I know what it's like to be using some piece of software and to get very frustrated ... *and* to make a rude/angry/demanding post saying WHERE is this [!!] and WHY is that [!!]
 :-[ (usually followed up by being told it was under my nose all along lol)

I'm not so good at responding calmly to people who are already being very rude -
so I am very impressed by developers (or anyone for that matter) who can do that.

But in my dealings with people, including developers (not sure about software though) I mostly manage these days to cut out the rude/angry/demanding parts in my initial post/whatever.
With people interactions, I do notice that even if I do get angry - so long as I can leave all that other crap listed above to one side, there's a good chance of a fairly clean resolution to an interaction.

But maybe I'm just persuading myself I'm better than I really am :D ;)
Tom

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 02:16 PM »
But in my dealings with people, including developers (not sure about software though) I mostly manage these days to cut out the rude/angry/demanding parts in my initial post/whatever.
With people interactions, I do notice that even if I do get angry - so long as I can leave all that other crap listed above to one side, there's a good chance of a fairly clean resolution to an interaction.

I've found the same to be true in my professional and personal life.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 07:04 PM »
  When I get a downright rude person calling me, no matter for what reason, I tell them to piss off and call me back when they want to be civil, and hang up.  Why should I have to listen to their rant, especially when it's not my fault?  When talking to angry people, there just about isn't any resolution because they're so pissed that anything you say or offer goes in one ear and out the other.  They just want to rant at someone to blow off steam, so it's not even worth my time to listen to them.