topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: THQ is no more...  (Read 7535 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
THQ is no more...
« on: January 25, 2013, 01:43 AM »
prominent games studio, THQ has been dissolved and its assets sold to highest bidders. though there are still some assets for which there were no takers.

• Sega
        To purchase Relic (developer of Warhammer 40K and Company of Heroes 2) for $26.6 million.
• Koch Media
        To purchase Volition (developer of the Saints Row and Red Faction games) for about $22.3 million.
        To purchase the Metro franchise license for nearly $5.9 million.
• Crytek
        To purchase the Homefront license for $544,218.
• Take 2
        To purchase Evolve (a turtle Rock Studios project trademarked last year) for about $10.9 million.
• Ubisoft
        To purchase THQ Montreal (developer of the upcoming 1666, among others) for $2.5 million
        To purchase the license to South Park: The Stick of Truth for about $3.26 million (though South Park Studios is putting up some legal argument over that part of the sale)

http://arstechnica.c...-bankruptcy-auction/
http://arstechnica.c...-bankruptcy-auction/

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: THQ is no more...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 04:46 AM »
Well, I have my wish list there, but not the $30 million for it... Sigh... Guess I'll just continue to work for game companies instead. :(
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 06:16 AM »
Note Steam are still selling THQ games - even the ones that haven't been released yet. Beware!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 06:46 AM »
Until the contracts are re-negotiated, the same contracts still carry over to the new IP holders, so there's not the problem with that, unless it's an IP/studio (Vigil/Darksiders) that didn't get purchased.

Relevant:
http://www.gamasutra..._IP.php#.UQJ-UB3O16A
http://www.gamasutra...nds.php#.UQJ-Vx3O16A

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 05:25 PM »
• Crytek

$544,216 too much - a serious bit of crap that game, I hope Crytek can turn it into something half decent.

Now we know why there's been a lot of THQ bundle sales recently  :P

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 05:48 PM »
$544,216 too much - a serious bit of crap that game, I hope Crytek can turn it into something half decent.

Crytek was commissioned to do some work on the Homefront sequel. that's why they decided to bid to protect/continue their project. tbh though as Homefront had only mediocre success, i don't see how the sequel would be any better.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 05:52 PM »
Amazon has a THQ "Mega Pack" on sale for $25 so if anyone wants to add to their THQ collection, this is your chance. btw all the games come with individual Steam keys, except for Company of Heroes GotY which is not redeemable on Steam.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1GFKCA

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 06:53 PM »
Amazon has a THQ "Mega Pack" on sale for $25 so if anyone wants to add to their THQ collection, this is your chance. btw all the games come with individual Steam keys, except for Company of Heroes GotY which is not redeemable on Steam.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1GFKCA

Limited to US Sales (so I can't buy it to get the missing games in the UK). Note Company of Heroes GOTY edition is not listed in the Steam library (which is presumably why you can't activate it) and there are posts that say when you have downloaded the installer from Amazon it still asks for a disk to be inserted so cannot be installed without resorting to downloaded hacks.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 06:56 PM »
• Crytek

I actually liked the game... :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 07:16 PM »
Limited to US Sales (so I can't buy it to get the missing games in the UK). Note Company of Heroes GOTY edition is not listed in the Steam library (which is presumably why you can't activate it) and there are posts that say when you have downloaded the installer from Amazon it still asks for a disk to be inserted so cannot be installed without resorting to downloaded hacks.
you can get someone to buy for you since Amazon only gives the keys which are to be plugged into your Steam client. i bet someone here would be able to help. ;)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 07:24 PM »
I wanted it... but for a few games, namely DOW: Retribution, Darksiders 2, and Titan Quest Gold (though I could do without the last).  If it sounds appealing to someone to split and not get those games, PM me and we can work something out.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 05:08 AM »
• Crytek

I actually liked the game... :)

To me it seemed like there was far too much "hand holding" as you were led from one point to another, almost as bad as Battlefield 3 single-player.

I think I played it for about an hour and then went back to Crysis 2....speaking of which, Crysis 3 release is imminent - already I'm drooling  ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 09:09 AM »
^ It got better with that later.  It was just in the beginning as you were escaping and for the first couple of missions after that.  But I know what you mean and I can see what you're saying if you only got that far.

As far as the THQ bundle, Lanux claimed mx vs atv & saints row 2 & Nexuiz and is throwing in $5.  I want Darksiders 2, TQ Gold, and DOW: Retribution... so if someone wants the rest, and can pay about $10, I think we can scrape together an inexpensive set of games.

A list of the games and their prices by Lanux:

It ends tonight, though, so we need to move fast.  Any takers?