topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Small free form db/notes software  (Read 7723 times)

robinsiebler

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Small free form db/notes software
« on: November 21, 2012, 07:55 PM »
I am playing an MMO called Guild Wars 2 and I have a lot of friends there. The game only allows me a single text line to describe a person an all of their chars and the company deletes this entry every time there is an update, so I need to find an external solution.  Here are my requirements:

I need the following text fields:

Account Name
Character Name (5 or more characters per account)
Character Description - Needs to be able to handle at least 3 -4 paragraphs of text.

I need to be able to sort on the first two fields, and I need to be able to search. I don't need any more features at this point. I want something small (under 20 MB) and if possible something with an iPad or web option as well.

Any suggestions?

Happiness is laced with shards of pain

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Small free form db/notes software
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 08:16 PM »
SnapDB by Skwire is a really good app for those little ad hoc databases.  There's no web option nor ipad option unfortunately.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 08:30 PM »
Here is a video of how a Spanish chap is using ConnectedText (personal/desktop wiki) for what seems like a similar purpose.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 12:36 AM »
While not really a database app, something like CintaNotes might also work due to the fast search.

apankrat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • swapped.cc
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 03:39 AM »
A spreadsheet software like Excel fits the bill. A bit of an overkill, but not if you already have Office installed.
Alex

robinsiebler

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 03:59 AM »
I so hate Excel and Word and especially Powerpoint, which I had to test when I worked at M$.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 08:58 AM »
And one of the requirements was small.  ;D

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 09:15 AM »
And one of the requirements was small;D

TreeSheets is small. Haven't tried Knowsynotes but it looks light.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 03:24 PM »
Haven't tried it myself, but maybe HanDBase would suit you? It's not free, but looks like it meets your requirements.  It's mentioned in a few DC threads.

What is HanDBase?
HanDBase is a light and fast relational database manager for mobile devices which offers data entry, searching, sorting, filtering, printing and
synchronization across a wide variety of desktop computers, tablets, handheld computing devices and smartphones.

What can I do with HanDBase?
With HanDBase you can keep track of almost anything. Create your own custom data based applications in minutes using HanDBase and begin
tracking whatever important information you need to be more productive while on the go.

HanDBase is available as a separate product for many different devices and Operating Systems, including Apple iPhone. iPod touch. iPad. Android. RIM BlackBerry. Palm OS. Windows Mobile Pocket PC/Classic-Professional and Smartphone/Standard. and Symbian S60 based mobile devices. Desktop versions are also available for Windows Desktops such as Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP. Mac OS X such as Lion, Snow Leopard, Leopard, Tiger and more.

robinsiebler

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 03:52 PM »
Thanks, rjbull! I have looked at the other suggestions, but I have not tried any of them yet. I was waiting to see how many fish I could catch. Since yours is the first to meet my optional requirement, I shall give it a go first! ;D

Ok, I tried HanDBase. It definitely has bug! For example, once I create database and save records when I try to edit one I get a form that has no buttons! I can't save any changes. I've sent their tech support about 5 bug reports so far. I hope these issues are resolved because so far, the program seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

Ok, the HanDbase demo is quite buggy, but their technical support is very responsive and I was able to do everything I wanted to do with this program, so I am going to buy it. :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 04:52 PM by robinsiebler »

robinsiebler

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 02:26 PM »
I stumbled across this - DataTap (Genius was actually useful for once). It looks promising. I will report back it if is any good.