topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday May 23, 2024, 12:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2013 Release: Customizable Remote Administration Panel (CRAP)  (Read 84855 times)

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hey there,

I've been using 2.1.0 beta 67 today and I've run into a kinda new issue.

With previous versions it already happened from time to time that, while launching a command with a button, I'd get the attached error message. It was not a very common occurrence and the command ran anyway with no other issue, so I didn't mind much.
What's new with this latest beta is that, after running into that error, now I can't seem to interact with the Variable field any more. I can open the drop-down list (which appears to be empty while it shouldn't be) but can't get the blinking cursor to appear inside the field itself, or select the current value by double clicking it, or even replace it by selecting a favorite… seems the only way out is to exit CRAP and restart it.
-ConstanceJill (May 10, 2024, 11:43 AM)

Same command each time or different? If same might have to investigate that command myself if possible to debug.

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I can't tell for sure but I think so far I mostly had it happen with the ping command, which happens to be the first in my layout (in case that's relevant).

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
I can't tell for sure but I think so far I mostly had it happen with the ping command, which happens to be the first in my layout (in case that's relevant).
-ConstanceJill (May 10, 2024, 04:42 PM)
Okay I will see if I can track the mystery down before I request more info.

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
Hey there,

I've been using 2.1.0 beta 67 today and I've run into a kinda new issue.

With previous versions it already happened from time to time that, while launching a command with a button, I'd get the attached error message. It was not a very common occurrence and the command ran anyway with no other issue, so I didn't mind much.
What's new with this latest beta is that, after running into that error, now I can't seem to interact with the Variable field any more. I can open the drop-down list (which appears to be empty while it shouldn't be) but can't get the blinking cursor to appear inside the field itself, or select the current value by double clicking it, or even replace it by selecting a favorite… seems the only way out is to exit CRAP and restart it.
-ConstanceJill (May 10, 2024, 11:43 AM)

I think I have traced to how the history works so I don't think it is command related at all in the end based on the translation of that message. So I should be able to fix.

Edit: Thanks for reporting it. Pretty sure I have tracked the issue down now to fix.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 05:35 PM by hamradio, Reason: See edit. »

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
2.1.0 build 68 BETA BUILD is on the beta page for download.

What's New/Modifications
A couple of bugs fixed.

As always let me know if bugs are found no matter how BIG or small of a bug it may be.
Also let me know your thoughts/feedback on this program/build in general even if no bugs are found...

Try the build 68 that I just uploaded and see if the issue is resolved for you.

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks!
I'll be on vacation for 2 weeks so I'll probably be using CRAP a lot less during that time as I mostly use it for work, but I'll let you know as soon as possible.

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello there.

I unzipped version 2.1.0 build 68 beta over my existing install on my home computer (which previously had build 60 beta) and got a few new bugs when using it to launch some (but not all) programs:

1 : It appears that, if the "Start in" field has the path within double quotes (for example, "D:\steam" ) then when clicking the button, instead of the program being started, I get the following error message:
Error while launching application.
Caractères non conformes dans le chemin d'accès.

That last line would translate back to english into something akin to "invalid characters in path"

I don't have the issue when making a new layout so I guess it's likely to only be an issue for the small niche of people who tried a previous beta where the Start in field was already a thing, or who would perhaps manually create such a button, but I feel that either the error message should be made more explicit, or perhaps the program should either automatically remove or ignore double quotes in that field — after testing, I can confirm they're not needed even if the program must be started in a folder that has spaces.

2 : I had a button with the following parameters:
Image file: <sysroot>System32\conhost.exe;0
Application: <sysroot>System32\conhost.exe
Start in: %userprofile%\desktop
Button Caption:\nCMD
Command Window: Skip
Ignore: Variable Text

With build 60 beta the program did run (albeit it started the program in the same folder where the shortcut to launch CRAP pointed it to start in, instead of the one I had specified in the button's properties), but now it gives me a different error instead (see attachment, the line in french would translate to "invalid folder name").
Removing the contents of the "Start in" field from the button, or making sure it doesn't use environment variables with "%", allows it to work again.

Another little thing: I noticed that, if the button caption starts with "\n" to avoid having the text appear too close to the icon, the "\n" also is displayed in the tooltip while hovering the button. While it's more accurate to have it show, I can't help but think it probably shouldn't be showing in the tooltip. However, it would probably be even better if the user could, under the global button properties, set a minimum spacing between the icon and text, so that there would be less need for "\n" in captions.

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
Hello there.

I unzipped version 2.1.0 build 68 beta over my existing install on my home computer (which previously had build 60 beta) and got a few new bugs when using it to launch some (but not all) programs:

1 : It appears that, if the "Start in" field has the path within double quotes (for example, "D:\steam" ) then when clicking the button, instead of the program being started, I get the following error message:
Error while launching application.
Caractères non conformes dans le chemin d'accès.

That last line would translate back to english into something akin to "invalid characters in path"

I don't have the issue when making a new layout so I guess it's likely to only be an issue for the small niche of people who tried a previous beta where the Start in field was already a thing, or who would perhaps manually create such a button, but I feel that either the error message should be made more explicit, or perhaps the program should either automatically remove or ignore double quotes in that field — after testing, I can confirm they're not needed even if the program must be started in a folder that has spaces.

2 : I had a button with the following parameters:
Image file: <sysroot>System32\conhost.exe;0
Application: <sysroot>System32\conhost.exe
Start in: %userprofile%\desktop
Button Caption:\nCMD
Command Window: Skip
Ignore: Variable Text

With build 60 beta the program did run (albeit it started the program in the same folder where the shortcut to launch CRAP pointed it to start in, instead of the one I had specified in the button's properties), but now it gives me a different error instead (see attachment, the line in french would translate to "invalid folder name").
Removing the contents of the "Start in" field from the button, or making sure it doesn't use environment variables with "%", allows it to work again.

Another little thing: I noticed that, if the button caption starts with "\n" to avoid having the text appear too close to the icon, the "\n" also is displayed in the tooltip while hovering the button. While it's more accurate to have it show, I can't help but think it probably shouldn't be showing in the tooltip. However, it would probably be even better if the user could, under the global button properties, set a minimum spacing between the icon and text, so that there would be less need for "\n" in captions.
-ConstanceJill (May 14, 2024, 03:38 AM)

1. I have fixed in my local copy to where it should remove any sign of double quotes. (At launch phase)
2. Yeah it cannot handle environment variables like that in beta v2.1.0 b68 and previous but I have researched and made a small change to attempt to parse %userprofile% and others from the "start in" with no additional changes needed by you upon the next update. Also now checks to see if it still contains % after attempting to parse the environment variables and will cancel if still found after parsing what it can.

As for the last bit about caption I cannot tell it the space to use between icon and caption. Also make sure the \n isn't shown in the tooltip in button properties as I think in one beta it added them to the tooltip portion in a minor bug from the drag and drop as well and should be fixed though in current beta version.

Example of #2 when environment variables are parsed and the string still contains some that could not be replaced...
screen_05142024_001.pngNANY 2013 Release: Customizable Remote Administration Panel (CRAP)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 07:38 PM by hamradio, Reason: Added screenshot of a test of invalid environment variables after attempted parsing. »

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
All right :)

I also noticed one other issue: I have this RAM drive program called OSFMount installed; and I drag and dropped its shortcut from my start menu to CRAP.

It requires admin rights to be ran, so Windows' User Account Control window usually pops up when starting it —and it did so indeed back when I was launching it from version 2.1.0 build 60 beta— however, in build 68 beta, CRAP only gives with an error message « L'opération demandée nécessite une élévation » (translated back to english: « The requested operation requires an elevation »). The UAC window does not appear and the program isn't ran.

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
All right :)

I also noticed one other issue: I have this RAM drive program called OSFMount installed; and I drag and dropped its shortcut from my start menu to CRAP.

It requires admin rights to be ran, so Windows' User Account Control window usually pops up when starting it —and it did so indeed back when I was launching it from version 2.1.0 build 60 beta— however, in build 68 beta, CRAP only gives with an error message « L'opération demandée nécessite une élévation » (translated back to english: « The requested operation requires an elevation »). The UAC window does not appear and the program isn't ran.
-ConstanceJill (May 15, 2024, 01:17 AM)

Thanks! I changed one line of code back to the build 60 way (which is the only one that I changed that could have had an effect on it from my side)...so we shall see if it fixes it in the next one.

Also after much research the combo box non dropdown style should turn to the dark mode style of Win10+ and only on Win10+ along with of course when on either of the two dark themes.
screen_05152024_001.png

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
2.1.0 build 70 BETA - BETA Download Page

This might be the last beta this beta cycle before help gets polished and then a general release build if things are running smooth.

• Added conversion of environment variables to the start in field (e.g %HOMEDRIVE%, %HOMEPATH% and others) when launched.
  • Note on #1: Launch will be cancelled if it still has environment variables that could not be converted with a message that should display all the environment variables that remain invalid.
  • Reverted to beta build 60 for a launch parameter.
  • Added a tweaks menu under preferences which will display on win11. Currently it is used only for you to choose what the corners of the application windows should be. (default, donotround, rounded, and roundedsmall). It will load and save the preference on a previous operating system but will only show the menu along with being effective when on win11.
  • The variable combobox should now display as the dark mode style when on win10+ and one of the dark themes chosen.
  • Other smaller bugs fixed, enhancements, optimizations.

As always let me know if bugs are found no matter how BIG or small of a bug it may be.
Also let me know your thoughts/feedback on this program in general even if no bugs are found...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 12:10 PM by hamradio »

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks! :)

So I extracted 2.1.0 build 70 BETA and tried running a few commands on my work computer, but I ran into a an error with a few of them.

For example, I have a button with the following settings :

Image File: <appdir>icons\Ping.png
Application: ping.exe
Application Arguments :-t <var>
Start in:
Button Caption: Ping -t
Command Window : Skip (Direct Launch)
Ignore : Variable Whitespace
When trying to run that command, I'm met with the following error message:
Launch cancelled. Application file listed bellow is missing.

ping.exe

Same problem with buttons that I set to direct launch mstsc.exe, explorer.exe or mmc.exe

From what I gathered, it would seem that, when using "Direct Launch" only, when the full path to the application is not specified, this version of the program tries to check if it finds the program in the PATH, but fails to find it.
However, it does find and launch successfully some third party executables that I've placed in other folders, which I added to my system PATH, without having their paths spelled out in the button settings.
I suspect that it probably has to do with the PATH relying on the %SystemRoot% environment variable for executables that ship with Windows (?)

Replacing the setting in the button with "%systemroot%\system32\ping.exe" also does not fix the problem, I have to put "C:\Windows" in place of "%systemroot%".

Another minor annoyance that I noticed is that, after editing a button, the contents of the Variable field is emptied.

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
Thanks! :)

So I extracted 2.1.0 build 70 BETA and tried running a few commands on my work computer, but I ran into a an error with a few of them.

For example, I have a button with the following settings :

Image File: <appdir>icons\Ping.png
Application: ping.exe
Application Arguments :-t <var>
Start in:
Button Caption: Ping -t
Command Window : Skip (Direct Launch)
Ignore : Variable Whitespace
When trying to run that command, I'm met with the following error message:
Launch cancelled. Application file listed bellow is missing.

ping.exe

Same problem with buttons that I set to direct launch mstsc.exe, explorer.exe or mmc.exe

From what I gathered, it would seem that, when using "Direct Launch" only, when the full path to the application is not specified, this version of the program tries to check if it finds the program in the PATH, but fails to find it.
However, it does find and launch successfully some third party executables that I've placed in other folders, which I added to my system PATH, without having their paths spelled out in the button settings.
I suspect that it probably has to do with the PATH relying on the %SystemRoot% environment variable for executables that ship with Windows (?)

Replacing the setting in the button with "%systemroot%\system32\ping.exe" also does not fix the problem, I have to put "C:\Windows" in place of "%systemroot%".

Another minor annoyance that I noticed is that, after editing a button, the contents of the Variable field is emptied.
-ConstanceJill (May 17, 2024, 06:07 AM)

I will fix the annoyance. I will also remove the file exists check to let it catch files not found as before which should fix the other issue too.

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
2.1.0 build 71 BETA - BETA Download Page
(Maybe last beta build before a general release build if things are appearing to be polished.)

1. Reverted the launch file exists check to the before method.
2. Fixed minor annoyance with variable field being cleared.
3. Added warning if a button uses the variable text and the variable bar is hidden. (Upon attempting to launch.)

Let me know if this one fixes the 2 above issues you mentioned.

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yep, looks like points 1 and 2 are fixed indeed, thanks! :)
I'll let you know if I find anything else.

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
Yep, looks like points 1 and 2 are fixed indeed, thanks! :)
I'll let you know if I find anything else.
-ConstanceJill (May 18, 2024, 01:37 AM)
:up:

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
I'm currently thinking early next week perhaps for the non beta release of this beta cycle as long as its running smoothly/no other ideas by then. :)