topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:22 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Listary Pro for only $9.95 on Friday 19 October  (Read 15585 times)

Channing

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Listary Pro for only $9.95 on Friday 19 October
« on: October 17, 2012, 03:04 AM »
I'm glad to announce that Listary Pro will be featured on BitsDuJour again on Friday 19 October at the dramatically reduced price of $9.95 (51% off).
Check it out!

P.S. A totally new version of Listary (Listary 4 beta) will be out with this promotion.

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
Re: Listary Pro for only $9.95 on Friday 19 October
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 07:15 AM »
Oooh - good news about v4 beta.

I bought Listary Pro in the last offer and have been patiently waiting :)

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 07:53 PM »
I bought it at full price after the last offer expired, and have also been patiently waiting :-)
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 12:19 AM »
this is good news! also have been waiting for v4 beta since the last 50% offer..

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 03:22 AM »
Sounds great :Thmbsup:.

Any chance that v4 will support selecting multiple files from the search results list?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 04:16 PM »
I don't use Listary - though I have trialled it - because I use xplorer² from http://zabkat.com, and that already has the features found in Listary Pro that I would probably find most useful.

Listary Pro seems to be pretty nifty tool though, and this is a good offer at $9.95.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 04:28 PM »
I don't use Listary - though I have trialled it - because I use xplorer² from
Listary Pro's Configuration -> Compatibility tab says it will work with xplorer², but I don't have xplorer² so don't quite know what that means.

The full list of supported applications (Listary Pro 3.51.858) is:

Desktop
Windows 7 Jump List
Total Commander
XYplorer
Directory Opus
xplorer2
7-Zip
WinRAR
FileZilla

Total Commander integration is wonderful.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 04:43 PM »
...Listary Pro's Configuration -> Compatibility tab says it will work with xplorer², but I don't have xplorer² so don't quite know what that means...

...Total Commander integration is wonderful.
Yes. I would presume that if Listary Pro integrates with (or "supports") Windows Explorer, then it should be able to integrate with any Explorer replacement tool - e.g., such as Total Commander or xplorer².

As I said above, the features that I would have found useful in Listary Pro are already incorporated into xplorer², so, in my case, using Listary Pro would be adding unnecessary/redundant functionality.
If I didn't already have xplorer², I would probably have bought Listary Pro some time ago.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 09:01 AM »
Ok, so what is Listary Pro anyway....?
What is it for and what does it do?
I did download it, interested, cause it's been talked about so much.
I've learned to read threads as well,
so if you could point me to a thread,
I might get a handle on what I just installed.

Thanks!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 09:15 AM »
i think this is probably your best bet (dont use it myself, yet)

Tom

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 09:25 AM »
Nice informative video, thanks tomos.
I'll leave it on and auto start for a while and see what I can do.
I'm not so much a keyboard enthusiast but I can try.

Listary informed me that WinKey + W was already in use.
But it didn't say by what nor what it wanted that hotkey for.
I looked rather quickly through the interface.... and got lost, lol.
But, I'm in no hurry.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 10:12 AM »
Ha! found it Win+W starts the Listary window.
Easier then I thought. Win+W seems to be the launching point of most features.
Found the search box with it, nice!

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 03:30 PM »
I would presume that if Listary Pro integrates with (or "supports") Windows Explorer, then it should be able to integrate with any Explorer replacement tool - e.g., such as Total Commander or xplorer².

As I said above, the features that I would have found useful in Listary Pro are already incorporated into xplorer², so, in my case, using Listary Pro would be adding unnecessary/redundant functionality.

I'm wondering if maybe you've missed some of Listary's valuable features?  Some of the things I like:
  • Switch any standard File Open/Save dialog to a favourite folder, either global or per-application.
  • Switch any standard File Open/Save dialog to whatever folder the active pane in Total Commander is pointing to.
  • Total Commander support means favourites configured only within TC itself are included in Listary's favourites list.
  • Help with searching any standard Windows list, not just file lists; e.g. entries in a folder in LinkStash, my links manager.

The first three of those are really about Listary acting as a helper application that harnesses the power of a decent, agile file manager and puts it to work as directly as possible within Windows' knuckle-dragging standard File Open/Save dialog.  The last aids file finding in Open/Save dialogs and in Windows Explorer.  TC and other good file managers are good at finding/displaying particular files in and of themselves, but Listary usefully beefs up Windows Explorer if that's all you have.  Looking at the video again, I realise there are plenty of other good features I'm not using yet...

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 08:53 PM »
Thanks @rjbull, that's very helpful of you. After reading what you wrote, I did wonder whether I had missed something potentially useful to me, so I just now double-checked - including viewing the Listary v. Listary Pro comparison list and the YouTube clip that @tomos linked to above - so I probably by now have better noted and understood many/most of Listary's features.

At the risk of digressing: a Windows OS disk structure can be regarded as a simple hierarchical database, and a main tool for viewing and accessing that database is WE (Windows Explorer). For me that is a very important tool, but WE seems too basic and necessitates a lot of manual intervention by the user, and I prefer something more automated, faster, and more powerful, so I use xplorer² to replace WE. Having said that, xplorer² is not to everyone's liking.

The discussion is about Listary Pro. It still seems to me that:
  • (a) the features that I would have found useful in Listary Pro are already incorporated into xplorer², so, in my case, using Listary Pro would be adding unnecessary/redundant functionality.
  • (b) if I didn't already have xplorer², I would probably have bought Listary Pro some time ago.

My peculiar needs are for certain kinds of functionality that I would find useful, rather than just features, and as far as the priority of those needs goes, that is:
  • A = Mandatory
  • B = Highly desirable
  • C = Nice-to-have
- and the "As" and "Bs" are what I really need, and the "Cs" are what i can do without (don't really need, by definition).
Whatever functions Listary offers that might be an "A" or a "B" are already well-provided for by xplorer², and the rest are either not required or are "Cs".

You are probably spot-on where you say that:
...Listary usefully beefs up Windows Explorer if that's all you have...
- I began to realise how seriously limited WE was in design and functionality in about 2003 when I stumbled upon 2explorer - having formerly had no basis for comparison. I rarely use WE now except typically to check to see how it does what compared to similar functionality in xplorer².
Whilst there are probably a couple or so functions that WE has that I think xplorer² might not have, there are stacks of functions that xplorer² has that WE does not. You certainly don't really need WE if you have xplorer² - which is why it is generally used as a WE replacement.
Listary, on the other hand, seems to be a very useful adjunct to WE, but it is not designed as a replacement for WE.

Where you wrote:
...Looking at the video again, I realise there are plenty of other good features I'm not using yet...
- I can quite understand, and I have the same view of my use of xplorer².
In terms of xplorer² not being able to meet my needs, I think I have only so far come across one case - a "C" need - which can be met by xplorer² but in a fashion that does not work as easily as I would like it to, that cannot be done in WE, and that - on the odd occasion when I need to do it, I use another tool for (Filegrab). I have discussed this need with the author of xplorer².

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 11:47 AM »
It still seems to me that:
(a) the features that I would have found useful in Listary Pro are already incorporated into xplorer², so, in my case, using Listary Pro would be adding unnecessary/redundant functionality.
OK, if you're happy, fair enough!  I wasn't as clear as might be.  The point I'm probably failing to belabour is the one Channing makes in the video tomos linked to, called Quick Switch: with the aid of Listary Pro, you can make any standard File Open/Save dialog instantly switch to whatever directory your file manager of choice is currently pointing to.  No more laboriously navigating a File Open/Save dialog to match the one you're already viewing in your FM.  I don't have xplorer², but I do have TC and XYplorer, and that feature works with both of them.  For me at least, that's pretty much worth the price of entry on its own.

Another feature I desperately longed for a few years back - not directly related to file managers - is Listary's ability to remember what was the last file you opened in a particular application was, described as "Select last opened file automatically" in the comparison chart.  If you then called File Open from the same app, Listary put the cursor on the same file, rather than on the first one and having to scroll through to find where you left off.  This would be useful if having to work on a long series of files, one by one.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 12:12 PM »
Couple of observations:

Listary seems to be a modern version of the old powerpro.
Listary seems to be difficult to describe by techy people and even through video. Example: rjbull (not picking on you, just observing)

you can make any standard File Open/Save dialog instantly switch to whatever directory your file manager of choice is currently pointing to.

I am already pointing to a directory and have navigated to that directory using the FM. So presumably I can already work in that directory when I am already there.
Note: I am not saying you are wrong or it's not useful, I am talking about how to describe Listary to some one.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 12:31 PM »
Couple of observations:

Maybe one small aspect of Powerpro. IMO, Powerpro is the single greatest utility ever coded. I have Windows 8 Pro x64 and I still use Powerpro. I use it for managing my clipboard, I built my dock using PP, I use it for text replacement, etc. True, it's also capable for favorite folders but I don't need that aspect as I use Directory Opus and Windows built in favorites for dialogs.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 01:26 PM »
Couple of observations:

Maybe one small aspect of Powerpro. IMO, Powerpro is the single greatest utility ever coded. I have Windows 8 Pro x64 and I still use Powerpro. I use it for managing my clipboard, I built my dock using PP, I use it for text replacement, etc. True, it's also capable for favorite folders but I don't need that aspect as I use Directory Opus and Windows built in favorites for dialogs.

For sure, small subset of what powerpro can do. I still use the shortcuts, clipboard, notes, recent apps, recent folders, send keys and more features of it.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 01:52 PM »
As others have noted, it only does a small subset of what PowerPro does, though I think some of what it does isn't natively in PowerPro and might take sophisticated coding to achieve.  I'd rate it easier to use for the features that overlap.  Also, Listary can be portable, which I don't think is really possible with PowerPro.

I am already pointing to a directory and have navigated to that directory using the FM. So presumably I can already work in that directory when I am already there.
Of course...  what benefits you will get from Listary will depend on what FM and other software you have.  For me, the benefits of being able to instantly switch any File Open/Save dialog to whatever directory TC is pointing to are great.  That's for any arbitrary directory, which can be a "new" one not already in any favourites list.  I could just point to a file in TC, press F4 and have whatever application is associated with that file in TC open it, but Listary allows any application to benefit from TC's navigation.

You're right that it's hard to describe, but the free-for-personal-use version contains a useful subset of the feature list, so anyone can try it out without cost and without installation.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 02:07 PM »
I did try it but had a devil of a time trying to find a free hotkey combination. I'm running Win8 and the standard Win+W is already reserved in the OS for Settings. I tried many combinations of the Win key and found most already reserved. I did use a Ctrl key combo that worked while I was trying it out but in the end I decided Listary wasn't for me. Nothing wrong with it, I just found that with tools I already had I didn't need it.

I just point this out because Win8 is just coming to market. I had an early copy from my Technet subscription.

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 01:25 PM »
My two penn'orth... Listary for me does stuff that my file manager of choice (Opus) doesn't help with. The point of Listary interacting with file dialogues is not to enhance the file manager in current use, it's to bring the file manager into most file dialogues.

For instance: I often create pdfs via a pdf printer. Listary remembers the places I routinely save pdfs and offers them to me. It doesn't do that when I'm just saving files, because it's a different dialogue generated by a different program. It's significantly more reliable than Windows "recent places" thing (which I never found works well) and with a bit of work I can set up a favourite locations list too.

Its only deficiency from my point of view is, in comparison with the program I used to use (FileBX) it doesn't switch file dialogues into details view and sort most recent first automatically, which fbx did and I still miss. But it's a brilliant program for anyone who uses multiple storage locations on their system, in my view. And it's portable too. :)
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 03:00 PM »
My two penn'orth
Better put than me, in less words  :(

it doesn't switch file dialogues into details view and sort most recent first automatically
Default Smart Commands include
Show File Extension (Ctrl + Shift + X)
Show Hidden Files and Folders (Ctrl + Shift + H)
but that's only part way there, and more keys to press.  Maybe you could ask Channing?