topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:11 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Does the browser Opera suck?  (Read 19615 times)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Does the browser Opera suck?
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2012, 04:50 AM »
I am using Opera Mini on Sony phone and their Turbo feature which is built in for Mini saves me plenty of bandwidth. I don't know why FF is not considering this option.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2012, 06:28 AM »
No more than the alternatives IMO. But I tend to try to ignore the 'suckage' in the apps I use the most. So Opera (as my second choice) tends to get judged more severely by me than it's equally (but differently) flawed cousin FF.

This used to bug me a lot before I stopped hoping something would ever be the perfect (and only) browser for me. Now I just use what works better (there is no "best" IMO) for what I'm doing.

I tend to use Opera for the speed when participating in forums and similar venues ever since my old fav K-Meleon started having hassles with too many websites (mostly when linking out to things posted about in forums) for it to be worth it any more. I use FF for everything else.

One of these days I'll get around to trying a Webkit/Trident-based browser again to see if they offer any real improvements or advantages. But I'm not overly hopeful they will.

I'm guessing all bets will remain off until the chaff and dust surrounding HTML5/CSS3 settles down anyway.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 06:57 AM by 40hz »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 10:52 AM »
Bah. piracy!

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2012, 07:07 PM »
Does the browser Opera suck?
Yes.

Very enthralling answer. Your deep insight has inspired me. Please, share more?

I would like to interject with an equally exciting answer...

No. ;D

Can I throw a "Maybe" in there?   ;)

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2012, 08:23 PM »
Opera is pretty decent; I call it my main browser. Compared to the horrible snail that is IE (opening a tab simply takes waay too long, nevermind all the other jerky shit) and the update disaster / incompatibility train that is Firefox, I'm more than happy with this one. I use Chrome on my old laptop, but only because I don't care too much about my privacy with that one; I simply don't trust Chrome (or its 'clean' alternatives) with my daily browsing.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2012, 11:50 PM »
Does the browser Opera suck?
Yes.

Very enthralling answer. Your deep insight has inspired me. Please, share more?

I would like to interject with an equally exciting answer...

No. ;D

Can I throw a "Maybe" in there?   ;)

Perhaps. ;)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2012, 09:46 AM »
When I started this thread I believed those drawbacks depended on my inexperience and ignorance about Opera, therefore I expected some solution.
I see instead nobody has provided a solution to the drawbacks I reported (*).
At this point I believe Opera is just in that way. Keep it or leave it.
If so, what a shame.

(*) though points 1 and 2 can be solved enabling the "Automatic Redirection". What a beautiful new: even using Opera I may enter in Facebook and then ending up again in that Spanish tourist website I already know...
"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 10:00 AM by Giampy »

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2012, 09:51 PM »
Certainly a few more than I normally keep open.
This was/is Opera 12.11 RC1

1100 tabs

Data for you - Opera's just loaded a 1100 tab session (wide variety of tabs) with no issues at all. Memory nice and stable as expected at 8GB which isn't unreasonable for this size session, processor amazingly low at < 30% consistent during load, no anomalies in Opera:cpu (ECMA 5-6%; all others close to zero), Opera:Memdebug shows interesting but probably sensible figures (below**).

Quite a lot of NSL tabs but equally a lot of tabs opening without NSL so it's not universal. I'll update this aspect later, as well as watching for memory leaks (none obvious so far).

Opera is also COMPLETELY RESPONSIVE UNDER THIS HIGH LOAD, no slowdown at all. Might as well be using 20 tabs for all it shows. I need that for heavy duty work - Opera's always had raw speed and response, but has consistently been plagued by stability problems.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2012, 11:33 PM »
I would leave Internet Explorer as many people blame it for security reasons. In fact in the last months I have been sometimes victim of redirections towards unwanted website.
Some days ago I began to use Opera with Ghostery and AdBlock. First of all I disabled the "Automatic Redirection". I was happy!
But I soon found out severe drawbacks.

1) when I click on a link, when I want to go in that website, Opera often asks me the permission. That is just annoying and useless as my operation is not a redirection by an intruder website: it's a direct operation by the user, it's the will of the user.
It's still more deplorable when the destination address is similar to the starting address. For example, if I am in http://www.microsoft.com/x and I want to go in http://www.microsoft.com/y it's obvious it's not a redirection by an intruder website

2) if I choose certain websites from the address bar (like http://www.winpenpack.com and http://www.vipreantivirus.com) Opera brings me to that website. It's right. But I see nothing. I see a white empty page

Moreover:

3) setting the fonts of the characters for the websites is a great confusion. I haven't found a help page

4) characters are badly readable as their stroke is very thin, thinner than the characters we usually see in all the other programs (note: the stroke is thin, while the height is normal)

5) from the address bar it's possible to see the list of the recent websites (just like in Internet Explorer). They are badly readable as they are pale blue on a white background. Besides I can't delete the useless ones

Is there a solution for those drawbacks? Or must I come back to the "dangerous" but relaxing Internet Explorer?

#2 - Both links load fine to my Opera 12.10

#3 - Font settings is tricky but try clicking shift+g. It would remove certain elements and go to the font you set in CTRL + F12 preference

#5 - Shfit + F12, Toolbars, check start bar, click address bar space ...minibar opens to top 10 buton

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2012, 01:01 AM »
I have put both my laptop and my desktop on the floor and started opera. No suction whatsoever. Maybe the bag needs changing. Or maybe they don't suck dog hair very well, might need a motor attachment for that.

Opera is not perfect but it is very neat in many ways. I wish I knew why recently the homepage of my site is really slow on my copy of Opera (mystery), and some sites don't test on Opera so don't work quite right, but all in all it is a fast and responsive browser out of the box (ghostery has a bug on opera though)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2012, 06:43 AM »
+1 with above post. Minor niggles aside, Opera seems fine for what I use it for. I haven't noticed much in the way of suction either. :)