topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Does the browser Opera suck?  (Read 19614 times)

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Does the browser Opera suck?
« on: October 10, 2012, 05:18 PM »
I would leave Internet Explorer as many people blame it for security reasons. In fact in the last months I have been sometimes victim of redirections towards unwanted website.
Some days ago I began to use Opera with Ghostery and AdBlock. First of all I disabled the "Automatic Redirection". I was happy!
But I soon found out severe drawbacks.

1) when I click on a link, when I want to go in that website, Opera often asks me the permission. That is just annoying and useless as my operation is not a redirection by an intruder website: it's a direct operation by the user, it's the will of the user.
It's still more deplorable when the destination address is similar to the starting address. For example, if I am in http://www.microsoft.com/x and I want to go in http://www.microsoft.com/y it's obvious it's not a redirection by an intruder website

2) if I choose certain websites from the address bar (like http://www.winpenpack.com and http://www.vipreantivirus.com) Opera brings me to that website. It's right. But I see nothing. I see a white empty page

Moreover:

3) setting the fonts of the characters for the websites is a great confusion. I haven't found a help page

4) characters are badly readable as their stroke is very thin, thinner than the characters we usually see in all the other programs (note: the stroke is thin, while the height is normal)

5) from the address bar it's possible to see the list of the recent websites (just like in Internet Explorer). They are badly readable as they are pale blue on a white background. Besides I can't delete the useless ones

Is there a solution for those drawbacks? Or must I come back to the "dangerous" but relaxing Internet Explorer?
"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Does the browser Opera suck?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 05:31 PM »
Is Internet Explorer really that dangerous nowadays? I think this mentality is something leftover from the IE6 Pre-SP2 days....and yes, Opera does suck as you will see more and more as you continue to use it. But, in the end, use whatever works for you.

That said, redirection is not necessarily a problem IE, but could be the way the site is coded. Just saying...

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 06:02 PM »
Is Internet Explorer really that dangerous nowadays? I think this mentality is something leftover from the IE6 Pre-SP2 days....and yes, Opera does suck as you will see more and more as you continue to use it. But, in the end, use whatever works for you.

That said, redirection is not necessarily a problem IE, but could be the way the site is coded. Just saying...

Flame war ;)

I would say security wise not using IE is probably not valid anymore*, certainly not compared to IE6 days like Josh says. Primary reason to use Firefox is add-ons, speed and open source. Chrome is speed and extensions. Opera the same. Several attempts at switching to Opera have failed in my case, it is just different as you noticed, may be not worse but for sure different.

*One example: For me, on an older (XP) pc, IE8 is the slowest to open and that's even compared to add-on loaded Firefox installs.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 06:11 PM »
I have a license for Opera that I've never used. IE works just fine for me. I've been tempted to install FF a few times, but I've never done it.

Security is up to the user to practice ... Blaming the browser is just silly.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 06:16 PM »
1) when I click on a link, when I want to go in that website, Opera often asks me the permission. That is just annoying and useless as my operation is not a redirection by an intruder website: it's a direct operation by the user, it's the will of the user.
It's still more deplorable when the destination address is similar to the starting address. For example, if I am in http://www.microsoft.com/x and I want to go in http://www.microsoft.com/y it's obvious it's not a redirection by an intruder website

2) if I choose certain websites from the address bar (like http://www.winpenpack.com and http://www.vipreantivirus.com) Opera brings me to that website. It's right. But I see nothing. I see a white empty page

I use Firefox as my primary browser and Opera as my secondary, so I'm by no means an Opera fangirl, but I'm really puzzled by what you've described.  I can't remember ever being asked for permission when I click on a link in Opera.  Also, I clicked on the two links you provided in point #2, and Opera took me there with no problem.  In both cases, I saw the site, not a white empty page.  This makes me suspect that there's something on your computer (or perhaps in your Opera settings, if you've changed those) that is causing these problems.  FWIW, I'm using Opera 12.02 on Windows 7, but I've used Opera for years on Windows XP as well, and I simply have not encountered the problems you've described above.  

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 06:43 PM »
I have had some issues in the past with Opera and security dialogs asking if I wanted to proceed to a site which either was insecure (not https) or had something funky with its security certificate. Normally it would not be an issue to me, except that when it asked on some sites, it did it twice, and on the 2nd dialog the option to proceed was not clickable...so you couldn't. You'd have to reload the page, and then the same thing would happen again.

In most other browsers there is a setting to turn off the asking, but I could never find it in Opera.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 06:59 PM »
Opera, protecting users from themselves, even when they know what they are doing...

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 01:21 AM »
My personal view of Opera after three attempts to use it: "too different to switch to at my age [35]". And also it failed to render some pages correctly (this is probably caused by web designers' faults in standards compliance, rather than Opera, but in any case, why should I bother?)

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 01:48 AM »
I have a hunch that you might have perhaps a little bit too much security software on your computer.  Just a hunch...
My opera browser has no problems with the websites mentioned (no such problems in general) and I very, very rarely encounter this redirection warning.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 01:55 AM »
I found this on diaspora. :D

scaled_full_913ba8ce47867799af43.jpgDoes the browser Opera suck?

[Modified by Josh with the attachthumb option, for viewability]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 04:20 AM by Josh »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 04:06 AM »
any chance of a bigger pic there mahesh :P

IE9 fared very well (and the others very poorly) in tests blocking malware.

Early this week, I received information about a study by NSS Labs, which clearly showed that Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 was significantly better at blocking malware than any other browser tested. In fact, their study showed that no other tested browser even came close to challenging IE9.
http://www.techrepub....e064&s_cid=e064

I wouldnt recommend moving to FF15 anyway for performance reasons (see thread here somewhere), maybe #16 will be better.
Tom

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 05:49 AM »
Ghostery on Opera triggers some annoying blocks and security that dont happen on other browsers.  :(

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 06:47 AM »
IE9 fared very well (and the others very poorly) in tests blocking malware.

Early this week, I received information about a study by NSS Labs, which clearly showed that Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 was significantly better at blocking malware than any other browser tested. In fact, their study showed that no other tested browser even came close to challenging IE9.
http://www.techrepub....e064&s_cid=e064

Oooh, you get to be my favorite person on the planet for at least a week for posting that link! :-* :Thmbsup:

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 11:15 AM »
6) even if I enable the "Automatic Redirection", when I change website I sometimes get the message:
"Moved Permanently
The document has moved here"
A further useless click is required...

7) when I scroll a page, the text doesn't flow smoothly. It moves like a squeeze box or a worm: it shrinks and then it expands, it shrinks and then it expands etc...

8) in the search box of http://www.wordreference.com, to start the search I must press Enter twice, one Enter doesn't work (it may seem a trifle indeed, but considering that I use very often Wordreference, and adding together the points 1...7, such drawback becomes a further bother anyway)
"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 11:48 AM »
8) in the search box of http://www.wordreference.com, to start the search I must press Enter twice, one Enter doesn't work (it may seem a trifle indeed, but considering that I use very often Wordreference, and adding together the points 1...7, such drawback becomes a further bother anyway)

I use WordReference all the time and never noticed this.  I now see why:  I use the search icon next to the box rather than hitting Enter.  I don't have to hit the search icon more than once.  However, you're right--if you hit Enter, you have to hit it twice, even if there's no confusion about which word you want to search on.  In Firefox, you only have to hit Enter once. 

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 01:10 PM »
It's not nearly as bad as it was in the olden days, and most exploits these days are from Flash or Java browser plugins - apart from XSS stuff, the *real* nasty browser bugs (those that don't trigger plugins but can lead to remote code execution or the likes) are few and far between.

But there was an exploit lately (iirc mid/late september) that targeted IE{7,8,9} on {XP,Vista,Win7} that was pretty bad.
- carpe noctem

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 01:17 PM »
It's not nearly as bad as it was in the olden days, and most exploits these days are from Flash or Java browser plugins - apart from XSS stuff, the *real* nasty browser bugs (those that don't trigger plugins but can lead to remote code execution or the likes) are few and far between.

But there was an exploit lately (iirc mid/late september) that targeted IE{7,8,9} on {XP,Vista,Win7} that was pretty bad.

Agreed, there are still vulnerabilities, but many browsers are seeing these same hits. Heck, Mozilla just had to pull Firefox 16 from the web due to a security vulnerability. My whole point is that IE is nowhere near the monster it once was and is actually quite reliable and safe.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 01:34 PM »
Agreed, there are still vulnerabilities, but many browsers are seeing these same hits. Heck, Mozilla just had to pull Firefox 16 from the web due to a security vulnerability. My whole point is that IE is nowhere near the monster it once was and is actually quite reliable and safe.
Sure, 16.0 had a bug, which was fixed how many hours after release? MS is quite a bit slower wrt release cycles, though thankfully they have out-of-band releases for really critical stuff (and to give them credit, they have to go through a lot more rigorous QA/QC to avoid fscktards moaning). But at any rate, the FF bug was:
The vulnerability could allow a malicious site to potentially determine which websites users have visited and have access to the URL or URL parameters.  At this time we have no indication that this vulnerability is currently being exploited in the wild.

The IE bug was remote code execution, which is a metric sh!ttonne more serious.

Anyway, the main reason I don't use IE isn't security, but simply that it sucks. With IE6, at least the browser loaded lightning fast - they lost that advantage with IE7, and haven't regained it. The developer tools suck, the HTML compliance sucks compared to chrome and FF (even though it's a lot better in IE9+ than it used to be), and the addons sucks.

I really don't see any reason to use IE if you've got half a mind, but of course people doing webdev have to support it, *sigh*.
- carpe noctem

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 01:43 PM »
Sure, 16.0 had a bug, which was fixed how many hours after release? MS is quite a bit slower wrt release cycles, though thankfully they have out-of-band releases for really critical stuff (and to give them credit, they have to go through a lot more rigorous QA/QC to avoid fscktards moaning). But at any rate, the FF bug was:
The vulnerability could allow a malicious site to potentially determine which websites users have visited and have access to the URL or URL parameters.  At this time we have no indication that this vulnerability is currently being exploited in the wild.

The IE bug was remote code execution, which is a metric sh!ttonne more serious.

Anyway, the main reason I don't use IE isn't security, but simply that it sucks. With IE6, at least the browser loaded lightning fast - they lost that advantage with IE7, and haven't regained it. The developer tools suck, the HTML compliance sucks compared to chrome and FF (even though it's a lot better in IE9+ than it used to be), and the addons sucks.

I really don't see any reason to use IE if you've got half a mind, but of course people doing webdev have to support it, *sigh*.

I agree with all of your comments. I use chrome, for what that's worth, but I think the days of IE being as insecure as it once was are long gone. The browser does have other drawbacks, like speed as you pointed out, but it should be OK for those who are forced to/choose to use it. Security patches are handled in, what I feel anyways, is an optimal manner for IE. Microsoft has a far larger userbase and testing base to account for with ALL of their products, so they must ensure they identify potential impact for their patches. Again, as you've pointed out, they do have out of band patches but those are the exception and not the norm.

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 06:52 PM »
Yes, it sucks sometimes.
But the suckage (for me) is a lot less than the other three contenders.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 02:36 AM »
Yes.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 08:40 AM »
Yes.

Very enthralling answer. Your deep insight has inspired me. Please, share more?

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 06:48 PM »
  Redirections of web sites are very common.  When a site changes it's address you will be redirected from the old address.  If an address has been taken over by another company (or user), they can put a redirect in the site to take you to whatever site they want you to see.  And then there's the hacked websites that redirects you to their hacked site.  It really don't have anything to do with what browser your using, just keep your anti-virus and firewall updated and beware of things that just don't look right....

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2012, 04:35 AM »
Very enthralling answer. Your deep insight has inspired me.
Great. :)

See, Opera has serious rendering issues, but instead of fixing them they add more bloat. P2P, chat, e-mail, a web server (srsly?!)...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2012, 04:38 AM »
Yes.

Very enthralling answer. Your deep insight has inspired me. Please, share more?

I would like to interject with an equally exciting answer...

No. ;D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker