topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Wicked Cool Unusual Features in Software  (Read 7298 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Wicked Cool Unusual Features in Software
« on: September 25, 2012, 10:50 AM »
I was just downloading a video from YouTube with the YTD Downloader, and for some reason, thought of a feature in it that I've also put in software, but is really very, very rare.

In the Main UI, you can simply wave your cursor over a text box, and it copies URLs from the clipboard.

Screenshot - 2012-09-26 , 1_48_43 AM.png

It saves a bit of time, but it's really just very cool. I can wave my mouse over the URL input as I move my mouse cursor to the "DOWNLOAD" button. Couldn't be easier.

However, these kinds of things are VERY rare, and really very difficult to implement properly. I don't mean technically difficult, but they're so easy to do, that you could do them everywhere, which is idiotic and makes for crappy software. You have to be very careful where you use these kinds of things.

Anyways...

Just kind of wondering what people generally feel about that sort of thing, and can you name any other "convenience"-type cool features? (I mean those small, tiny, little polish things.)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Wicked Cool Unusual Features in Software
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 11:01 AM »
I'm a great admirer of little touches that constitute "the difference that makes a difference" in a product. To me, it shows the developer cares. It's like a little detail hidden in a large painting that could have easily been left out without anybody noticing or caring. But it's the mark of a true artist to make the effort to put it in anyway.

However, as you so correctly pointed out, to do it right you need to treat it like a seasoning rather than a major ingredient. A light touch in just the right place is the key factor that separates "wicked cool" from "bloody annoying." (Which is something many iOS app developers just can't seem to understand.)

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:10 AM by 40hz »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 11:16 AM »
Agree with 40hz.

Not sure what to think about this particular feature. I guess it's OK as an extra little touch - I kinda feel that if the "paste URL" button wasn't there, the waving would change from "a nice extra touch" to "meh, gimmicky UI".
- carpe noctem

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 11:21 AM »
I was just downloading a video from YouTube with the YTD Downloader, and for some reason, thought of a feature in it that I've also put in software, but is really very, very rare.

In the Main UI, you can simply wave your cursor over a text box, and it copies URLs from the clipboard.
 (see attachment in previous post)
It saves a bit of time, but it's really just very cool. I can wave my mouse over the URL input as I move my mouse cursor to the "DOWNLOAD" button. Couldn't be easier.

However, these kinds of things are VERY rare, and really very difficult to implement properly. I don't mean technically difficult, but they're so easy to do, that you could do them everywhere, which is idiotic and makes for crappy software. You have to be very careful where you use these kinds of things.

Anyways...

Just kind of wondering what people generally feel about that sort of thing, and can you name any other "convenience"-type cool features? (I mean those small, tiny, little polish things.)

SunriseXP (program for Windows, used to collect content for Plucker, the classic offline reader app for Palm OS) did that, except, no mouse waving required. If the last thing copied to the clipboard was a URL, it was there waiting for you in the URL field. Very convenient.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:27 AM by daddydave »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 11:40 AM »
On the other hand, if you indadvertedly hover the box, with someone overlooking your screen while you have something embarrassing in the clipboard.... Oops :P

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 11:53 AM »
On the other hand, if you indadvertedly hover the box, with someone overlooking your screen while you have something embarrassing in the clipboard.... Oops :P

Easy. Get eyeballs installed in the back of your head. Problem solved! :)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 01:50 PM »
Easy. Get eyeballs installed in the back of your head. Problem solved! :)
I can easily see a bunch of situations in which those would be handy!

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 04:37 PM »
If the last thing copied to the clipboard was a URL, it was there waiting for you in the URL field. Very convenient.

That's a nice touch. 

I've come across some software that did this for license keys entry (ie., if the thing in the clipboard looks like the license key for registering the software, just put that thing in the edit box). Even though it only saves a click/keypress or two, it's always a touch that I appreciate.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 05:00 PM »
Vim can tweet.  8)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 03:26 AM »
Vim can tweet.  8)
I'm OK with that, as long as it doesn't turn into Emacs :P

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 05:55 AM »
Oh, it can. There are several orgmode plug-ins and Emacs keybindings available. It only lacks a web browser.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 03:57 PM »
Clear is an app for iOS that has a cool way to add an item.  You put your fingers together over the two items you want to insert the item between, and separate your fingers to create the new item.  Really cool use if NUI.

clear.jpg