topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: sort of launcher for command lines with parameter in a pre-defined place  (Read 34667 times)

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks guys, I'll give both of these a try :}

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OK, I've been trying the latest version of Target's SUR and it works fine enough, however I have one problem, when running it under Windows 7 x64 —could not reproduce it under XP mode— when trying to run a telnet command, it fails with the following error message, even though I did install telnet in Windows 7 components, and can run the command manually.
Note : I have removed the ":" in the command line, which I should not have given as the correct syntax is "telnet target port", my bad.

Edit : There also seems to be weird issues with running commands which require confirmation — it doesn't run the right command when confirmation is given ?_?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 06:12 AM by ConstanceJill »

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OK, I've been trying the latest version of Target's SUR and it works fine enough, however I have one problem, when running it under Windows 7 x64 —could not reproduce it under XP mode— when trying to run a telnet command, it fails with the following error message, even though I did install telnet in Windows 7 components, and can run the command manually.
Note : I have removed the ":" in the command line, which I should not have given as the correct syntax is "telnet target port", my bad.

unfortunately I don't have an x64 system to test it on, so we might be a bit stuck with this one (can anyone else help out with this one?)

what happens when you run the command from the run command (WIN+R)?

Edit : There also seems to be weird issues with running commands which require confirmation — it doesn't run the right command when confirmation is given ?_?

well I did say I'd only done limited testing  :o

can you give me a bit more detail on what happens with the offending commands, eg what command you requested, and what you got

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
next iteration

now includes an editor  - I'm not totally happy with the editor gui, but I suppose it gets the job done

I still haven't done anything about the 'errors' you posted (pending more detail)

EDIT: attachment removed (downloaded 22 times)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:01 AM by Target »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Telnet is only installed in a x64 incarnation on Windows x64, AFAICS, and it's only available in the \Windows\System32 directory for 64 bit processes, but not in the 32 bit \Windows\SysWOW64 redirection directory for 32 bit processes.
I haven't seen any easy solutions, other than copying telnet.exe over from System32 to the SysWOW64 directory.

Another alternative would be to use different terminal software, there are several available, and you are probably using one of them already 8), as telnet is quite 'rudimentary' in features and looks.

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow, lots of answers since last time ^^'

what happens when you run the command from the run command (WIN+R)?
Then it runs the command just fine.

well I did say I'd only done limited testing  :o
Yes you did :)

can you give me a bit more detail on what happens with the offending commands, eg what command you requested, and what you got
Hmm well this problem doesn't seem to happen anymore with the new version, for now ^^'

next iteration

now includes an editor  - I'm not totally happy with the editor gui, but I suppose it gets the job done
Nice :]

Telnet is only installed in a x64 incarnation on Windows x64, AFAICS, and it's only available in the \Windows\System32 directory for 64 bit processes, but not in the 32 bit \Windows\SysWOW64 redirection directory for 32 bit processes.
I haven't seen any easy solutions, other than copying telnet.exe over from System32 to the SysWOW64 directory.
Hey, that works \o/
Thanks a lot :D
I don't use telnet a lot, so I didn't look for alternatives yet ;)
Also, I'll need to take some time to see how exactly WinButtons work.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 06:30 AM by ConstanceJill »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Also, I'll need to take some time to see how exactly WinButtons work.
Yeah, I hear you. My manual-writing capabilities haven't been fully applied on this one yet... I have a quite technical readme included with WinButtons, describing for each option available on how to use it, but not why or what-for you'd want to use it. There are some small examples in there, but the best part for your use would be in the WinButtons.wbuc file (as downloaded from the site), that I used to take the screenshot from. You need to define and use variables to 'connect' to some input-control, and use one or more variables in the command that is set for a button.
Don't forget to enable the 'Show parameters section' checkbox, that's hiding in the 'Global parameters' tab of WinButtonEdit :tellme:

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks, I'll look into this :]

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'll look into this
Care to share your findings?

Haven't done the Quick Button edit screen for WinButtons yet, not sure if you (still) want/need it?
It would just be copying some parts of WinButtonEdit into a smaller window, and dragging over some of the code into the shared source-file. ;)

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Heres my take on it going by the posted gui layout a little and still in its early stages...

As always not responsible if it borks things on your end, but here it is.

ToDo: Favorites...

http://carrolld.dcme...m/downloads/crap.zip

screen_10172012_001.pngIDEA: sort of launcher for command lines with parameter in a pre-defined place

Note: At least .net framework 4.0 client profile for the .net framework needed I believe.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 10:59 PM by hamradio, Reason: Updated URL »

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
As always not responsible if it borks things on your end, but here it is.

ToDo: Favorites... Favorites now working and it has been updated on server.

ToDo: Favorites...

Screenshot:
screen_10172012_001.pngIDEA: sort of launcher for command lines with parameter in a pre-defined place

Download: http://carrolld.dcme...m/downloads/crap.zip
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 10:59 PM by hamradio, Reason: Updated URL and Screenshot »

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Care to share your findings?
Sorry, I didn't take the time to look at it yet ^^'

Heres my take on it going by the posted gui layout a little and still in its early stages...[…]
Nice, I'll have to try it out too ^_^

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey hamradio I tested your implementation today and it really pleases me :}

So far I think I only found one small bug if the command suffix contains a "&", the & is not displayed in the status bar when previewing the final command

Edit : thought I had found 2 but one of them is almost not worth mentioning : if the path to an image is specified as "<appdir>\icons\..." instead of "<appdir>icons\..." then the image for that button is displayed only after opening and closing the button editor.

Do you mind if I have a few requests for small modifications ? :]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 11:02 AM by ConstanceJill »

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
Hey hamradio I tested your implementation today and it really pleases me :}

So far I think I only found one small bug if the command suffix contains a "&", the & is not displayed in the status bar when previewing the final command

Edit : thought I had found 2 but one of them is almost not worth mentioning : if the path to an image is specified as "<appdir>\icons\..." instead of "<appdir>icons\..." then the image for that button is displayed only after opening and closing the button editor.

Do you mind if I have a few requests for small modifications ? :]

1. Think I know the problem with the &. (Edit: Should be fixed when I upload next time.)

2. The macros are intended to not need the first \ before any other directory structure or filename.

3. Sure post em and I will see as time permits.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 01:49 PM by hamradio »

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OK :]

Well then, would it be possible to use <appdir> in the command prefix, just like in the image path ?
That would allow for the user to get his custom scripts in a sub-folder of the program, thus improving portability — this way I could share the whole thing with my colleagues by sending them an archive.

Also, would it be possible to :
- have a visual "thing" to let the user know whether or not a button asks for confirmation without going in editor mode ? (For now I'm "cheating" by manually adding a "*" to the end of the button caption)
- have an option for a button not to use the Variable/target parameter (so the same interface can be used to run a command on the local machine which does not need or accept a target parameter, such as "ipconfig /flushdns")
- let the user place "separations" (such as a forced "carriage return" or even a horizontal line) between some groups of buttons ?
- let the user define a constant size that would apply to all buttons (so they get kinda aligned in the interface as if it were a table) ?

Edit : I almost forgot : an button or menu item to clear history ? ;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 08:53 AM by ConstanceJill »

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
OK :]

Well then, would it be possible to use <appdir> in the command prefix, just like in the image path ?
That would allow for the user to get his custom scripts in a sub-folder of the program, thus improving portability — this way I could share the whole thing with my colleagues by sending them an archive.

Also, would it be possible to :
- have a visual "thing" to let the user know whether or not a button asks for confirmation without going in editor mode ? (For now I'm "cheating" by manually adding a "*" to the end of the button caption)
- have an option for a button not to use the Variable/target parameter (so the same interface can be used to run a command on the local machine which does not need or accept a target parameter, such as "ipconfig /flushdns")
- let the user place "separations" (such as a forced "carriage return" or even a horizontal line) between some groups of buttons ?
- let the user define a constant size that would apply to all buttons (so they get kinda aligned in the interface as if it were a table) ?

Edit : I almost forgot : an button or menu item to clear history ? ;)

1. would it be possible to use <appdir>... <- Let me see what I can do after finishing up the global button properties dialog. Added to prefix + suffix(incase needed there too).

2. have a visual "thing"... <- Would tacking it on the tooltip a couple lines down from your custom tooltip work, so as not to take up more status bar space or would you like it in the status bar?

3. - have an option for a button not to use the Variable/target parameter (so the same interface can be used to run a command on the local machine which does not need or accept a target parameter, such as "ipconfig /flushdns") <- Should be able to simply leave the variable/target parameter blank and just click a button as it is now if thats not the case let me know.

4. let the user place "separations"... <- Think I already got that in the version you have but doesn't do too well with the different sizes. Hopefully will be fixed with the use custom button properties toggle I have been working that allows global size of buttons and possibly a few other button layout settings like icon on top/bottom of text perhaps.  If you want it for now just set button caption to separator and it knows to add it as a separator instead of a button. <- Works better when use custom global button properties is enabled in latest version.

5. - let the user define a constant size... <- Already in the version I have been working on.

:)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 02:39 PM by hamradio, Reason: Updated info. »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm ironing out a few quircks from WinButtons, caused by the 'showParams' feature I introduced in version 3.6, but I can show a teaser screenshot:

Screenshot - 19-10-2012 , 21_04_12.png

Expect an update-release later today, I'm doing some more tests and updating the readme files.

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
As always not responsible if it borks things on your end, but here the updated version is...

Let me know what you think...

Screenshots:

Without separator test...
screen_10192012_002.pngIDEA: sort of launcher for command lines with parameter in a pre-defined place

With separator test...
screen_10192012_003.pngIDEA: sort of launcher for command lines with parameter in a pre-defined place

Download: http://carrolld.dcme...m/downloads/crap.zip
Note: It should be refreshed on the server if not let me know.

A couple tips:
  • You can use \n in the button caption for a new line.
  • You can also use Separator as the button caption to add a separator instead of a button in which case nothing else needs to be entered into the add dialog.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Things took a little bit longer then expected :( but hey, this is software, and software is never finished 8)

I've released minor updates for WinButtons 3.6.0.2 and WinButtonEdit 1.1.0.2 in this message, click through to the release message for a couple of screenshots, and the official downloadlink.

The configuration showing the screenshot 2 posts up is also included as ConstanceJill.wbuc.
2 feature requests not quite implemented yet:
  • Remove history item/all items
  • Quick Button Create/Edit screen

I'll be working on that though...

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks guys :}

I will try to play around with both of these :D

About point the option of emptying the target field to run a local command, I think it would be preferable if the user doesn't need to do that (and then perhaps reload the last used name in that field), in particular since that command never works on distant machines anyway. That would feel kinda "cleaner" to me ;)

Edit : looks like I can't get the \n trick to work in the latest version of CRAP ? =(

Edit 2 : Huh, I ran WinButtons by dragging and dropping the ConstanceJill.wbuc file on the EXE and it looks like it's working OK, except the "close" button isn't responsive (?)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 06:33 AM by ConstanceJill »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Edit 2 : Huh, I ran WinButtons by dragging and dropping the ConstanceJill.wbuc file on the EXE and it looks like it's working OK, except the "close" button isn't responsive (?)
Drag&Drop is in fact a feature of WinButtons, but not in the way you seem to expect: It hands the file to the drop-action defined for the button you drop the file(s) on, it doesn't use the .wbuc file as a configuration to open... (but I could make it do that, sounds quite logical, now that you mention it...)
2 possible easy ways to run that configuration file:
  • Rename the file to WinButtons.wbuc and run WinButtons
  • or
  • Use WinButtonEdit to register WinButtons as the default handler for the .wbuc extension (Options/Set file association for .wbuc/Open with WinButtons), and double-click or right-click/Open the file
1 somewhat less easy, but still convenient, way to run it:
  • Create a shortcut to WinButtons.exe, and add -f ConstanceJill.wbuc to the command-line (including a separating space from the exename)

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OK, thanks for the clarification :}

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
Edit : looks like I can't get the \n trick to work in the latest version of CRAP ? =(

Re download and see now. I also got a new check box in to tell the button to ignore the variable field. :)

Also something that is in testing phase but appeared to work in my testing...is right click on a button now and also anywhere in the button panel. (Backup your custom file while testing it tho in case something does wipe the custom file clean.)

All new info and such for CRAP will goto -> https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=32623
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 12:03 PM by hamradio, Reason: Added link to CRAP official nany topic... »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
An update was released for WinButtons 3.6.1.0 (drop-a-wbuc-file-to-load-that support) and also a minor update for WinButtonEdit 1.1.0.3 (bugfixes) in this message, click through to the release message for some screenshots, and the official downloadlink.

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks again guys :}

I think I'll stick with hamradio's implementation, since it's the one closest to the idea I had.