topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Morphing somebody's face/head over the years - how do they do that?  (Read 22211 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Morphing somebody's face/head over the years - how do they do that?
Like this, for example - I thought this was amazing. Never seen anything quite like it before, and I'd like to know how to do it.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Actually, it's pretty easy.  A decent morphing software, a series of images, then you specify pair points on each photo.  As the series progresses, you see apparent aging in the subject in supposedly real time.  There are some freeware applications available, you'd just have to check to see what would work for you.  

I use Abrosoft's FantaMorph, but it's not cheap - $49.95 US, and I don't recall whether that was BDJ or not.

If you try it, remember that the more pair points you set, the smoother and more realistic the transformation will appear.

[Sidebar
A pair point is, for instance, the tip of the nose in each image, the earlobes, the tops of the ears, the eyebrows, and the like.  The more pair points you have, the smoother the transition will be.]

You can also set a reverse morph, i.e. old maid to young girl, by changing the the photo order.

Oh, yeah, doesn't hafta be photos, can be any image set.  Once changed a Mercedes into a Model T that way.  Transformed from the Mercedes to a Pontiac to a Chevrolet to a Ford to a Model T, each one (1) older as the morph progressed.  All the images were commercial advertisements  :P.

Edit:  link for FantaMorph

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yea, I've used Morpheus  http://www.morpheussoftware.net/ it's pretty easy.

There are some free ones out there.  Checkout http://download.cnet...2186_4-10845768.html  If you google search, then watch out for viruses with this type of software....   Stuff from cnet aught to be safe though.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the pointers. I shall investigate/trial.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I can vouch for Fantamorph. Haven't updated (or used) it in years but it was a solid, evolved app even back then.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I believe the way nature does it is via a process called aging.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist. ;D )

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here's one I did of myself with Morpheus a while back...  Didn't have very good starting photos though, so didn't turn out all that great.

Unlike natural aging, it loops ;-)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Impressive job, kunkel!  (And I loved your remark about looping.)  Did you use Morpheus Standard or one of the more expensive versions?  Is it ever offered on Bits du Jour or GAOTD? 

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Morphing somebody's face/head over the years - how do they do that?
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 07:51 AM »
Today, Monday 17'th September 2012:
http://www.bitsdujou...abrosoft-fantamorph/

2012-09-17_144905.gif

Edited:
compare versions: http://www.fantamorp...rice.html#comparison
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 08:04 AM by Curt »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 10:50 AM »
On the morphing topic, I just saw this, and thought it was a brilliant piece of work (99% chance Photoshop and 100% chance not algorithmic - or should that be AL GORE ITHMIC~! :P ):

246697_285007238272649_623711249_n.jpg
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 04:21 PM »
^Nah - the ears are wrong  ;D.  And Al never looked that pretty  :P.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 04:47 PM »
I'm really tempted by the BdJ FantaMorph offer.  I wish I knew whether the least expensive version would do the job.  I don't really have time to try it out before the offer expires.  Anyone have experience with the least expensive version, or know why that might not be a good choice?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 05:05 PM »
-looking at the comparison, I have decided that Deluxe is the only one of the three versions to have. And because I cannot afford that one, I am not buying any of them...

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 05:29 PM »
-looking at the comparison, I have decided that Deluxe is the only one of the three versions to have. And because I cannot afford that one, I am not buying any of them...
Curt, what are the features that you feel are vitally important that can only be had in the Deluxe version?

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 05:42 PM »
I'm really tempted by the BdJ FantaMorph offer.  I wish I knew whether the least expensive version would do the job.  I don't really have time to try it out before the offer expires.  Anyone have experience with the least expensive version, or know why that might not be a good choice?

Picked it up in March, I think (Curt's recommendation, the Deluxe version).  Initial tests make it pretty sharp.  It goes through a hardware/software test when you install/initiate it, determines what drivers you have -or, I think, may need -whether hardware acceleration is available ... it does check you system for compatibility, makes recommendations as needed.  I installed it on a Toshiba i7 6G RAM system, so it does not require uber-powerful system.

Played with it twice, so far.  Acceptable results both times.  I'm now trying to obtain decent shots of a sailboat which will be morphed into an English ship of the line or a China Clipper.  Discovered that it's much more challenging to change an inanimate object (A sailboat?  Inanimate?  Preposterous  :P!) into another inanimate object (see previous parenthetical expression) than to change one person into another, or to cross a human with most any animal.

Over the years - say, the last thirty (30) or forty (40) - I've tried a lot of morphing software:  FantaMorph is the best to date.  Maybe a bit pricey, even on BDJ, but well worth the cost to anyone interested in the concept.  (And creating, for instance, a granddaughter from infancy to maturity is absolutely precious  :-*.  Or grandson.  Or niece, nephew, neighbor's kid.  Anyone of whom you have a photo history.)(Or, you could turn your current boss into a fire-breathing dragon  :-\.)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 06:22 PM »
Barney, thanks for your message.  I'm still wondering, though, whether you could have made "acceptable" morphs (which is how you described your results) with one of the less expensive versions of FantaMorph.  Like you, I'd love to create a morph of a family member from infancy to maturity.  I know I could do that with the Deluxe version, but couldn't I also make an "acceptable" version with, say, the Standard version? 

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 08:52 PM »
-with Deluxe you can make morphs from many photos that the cheaper versions can't use, say, from a face in a group of faces, etcetera.

Besides:

Your purchase is risk-free because of our 100% unconditional 30 day money-back guarantee

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 10:26 PM »
Thanks very much, Curt, for your helpful response.  I now see the point of getting the Deluxe version, but I think I'll compromise and go for the Pro instead.  More than once, I've bought software in a burst of enthusiasm and then wound up not using it. :-[  I don't know that that will happen this time, but I feel more comfortable spending $30 rather than $50. 

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 11:13 PM »
Barney, thanks for your message.  I'm still wondering, though, whether you could have made "acceptable" morphs (which is how you described your results) with one of the less expensive versions of FantaMorph.  Like you, I'd love to create a morph of a family member from infancy to maturity.  I know I could do that with the Deluxe version, but couldn't I also make an "acceptable" version with, say, the Standard version? 

As I read the specs, using multiple photos in sequence did not seem viable for the lesser versions.  That, however, may have been just my interpretation.  Might be more work, but you should easily be able to build a series of images by doing two (2) at a time, then streaming the results together.  In fact, that might be a more impressive output.  Sorry to be so late with this reply.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 07:25 AM »
Abrosoft FantaMorph for Mac & PC - Deal Extended for Another Day!
-Bits du Jour, Tuesday 18 Sept

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 07:44 AM »
Thanks, Barney and Curt, for your input.  I wound up buying the Pro version last night.  Barney, I think the Pro version can use multiple source images, though I won't really know until I try.