topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newbie's observations, suggestions  (Read 5557 times)

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Newbie's observations, suggestions
« on: August 08, 2012, 11:58 AM »
Hi mouser and community,

I wanted to commend and thank you for CHS. Truly an awesome, high-quality program. Just what I was looking for since CLCL proved unworkable under Win7.

I have a few small problems, and then a few suggestions. The problems:

• I initially got crashes, until I nulled out the "capture" hotkey. Not sure what that setting does.
  • Is there any benefit to "periodically reestablish clipboard"? Using it, my Bible program periodically would pickup spurious copy events and spawn its own corresponding popup window. Kill spurious events is enabled.
  • I'm getting extra Copy sound notifications after a copy. They don’t seem to do anything but are annoying.

And the suggestions:
  • Multi-column popup menu. This would be a great improvement from my perspective, rather than scrolling.
  • Any way to order peer subfolders in the tree?
  • Initial Setup option to place backup folder in appdata hierarchy (Vista or greater), to make user files backup easier (I know this can be done afterward).
  • Browse button for image editor option. Small deal, but I noticed it.

Also, I'm not clear if my registration will apply to more than one machine.

Thanks again. Brilliant program, obviously with a lot of care invested.

Blessings,
Paul

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Newbie's observations, suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 12:17 PM »
Hi Paul,

Glad you like it.

Also, I'm not clear if my registration will apply to more than one machine.
sure -- you can use it on all your pcs.

Is there any benefit to "periodically reestablish clipboard"?
occasionally other programs may modify the clipboard "chain" -- meaning they tell windows they want to receive clipboard events, and then they crash or fail, and the clipboard chain is messed up, preventing CHS from receiving clips.  This option simply re-registers CHS with windows every so often to make sure this doesn't happen.  But you can uncheck the option.  If you ever don't hear the copy clip sound you can manually re-establish clipboard chain from the right click context menu on the CHS icon.

Any way to order peer subfolders in the tree?
yep, edit a group and in the upper right you will see "Display Order Weight".  The smaller the number the earlier in the ordering.

Browse button for image editor option. Small deal, but I noticed it.
quite right, thanks for pointing that out; will fix.

I'm getting extra Copy sound notifications after a copy.
this is a bit concerning to me.. so you mean you are hearing the copy sound twice in a row?  i would explore this a bit further -- are you getting duplicate clips? is it happening on every capture?  There is a "statistics" tab in the options -- maybe look there to see how the clip events change after each capture.  I wonder if you don't have another program running that is causing the behavior.

I initially got crashes, until I nulled out the "capture" hotkey. Not sure what that setting does.
Hmm.. maybe it's as simple as the hotkey being used by another program? But i'm not sure why that would cause an error.  the purpose of that option is if you want to DISABLE CHS from watching the clipboard and only have it create new clips when you hit that hotkey.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 12:28 PM »
I'm getting extra Copy sound notifications after a copy. They don’t seem to do anything but are annoying.

FWIW, this can also depend on the application being copied from (Excel is notorious for this).  Also, this can be caused if you're using any sort of remote control or virtualisation type of software (VNC, VirtualBox, VMware, etc.).  Finally, if you're running multiple clipboard-handling applications, this can happen.  Just some thoughts...

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 01:20 PM »
Thanks for getting back, mouser, especially so quickly.

Excellent license terms. Thank you.

I unchecked "reestablish", and the Bible program interference is gone. Thanks for the explanation.

"Order weight" – a ha!

The extra copy sounds don’t seem to be happening now, perhaps because I restarted CHS? They were coming maybe 5 secs after the copy event. If this reoccurs, I'll get back on it.

On the initial crashes, I'm not sure, but I may have set the Capture hotkey to Ctrl-c, while at the same time CHS was set to automatically monitor the clipboard. Perhaps that set up an internal conflict?

One other thing I noticed, CHS doesn’t seem to show up on the Win7 start menu, nor can I Pin it there.

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 01:24 PM »
Thanks Skwire. Much of my testing was in Word07, maybe that was a factor. My Bible prog (theWord) monitors the clipboard looking for verse addresses, such as Jn 3:16. When it recognizes one it pops up the text of the verse, with options. It doesn't initiate any clipboard action unless there's a Copy event, to my knowledge.

Finally, I have no virtual program running.

I haven't seen the problem since I cycled CHS.

Paul

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 01:43 PM »
On the initial crashes, I'm not sure, but I may have set the Capture hotkey to Ctrl-c, while at the same time CHS was set to automatically monitor the clipboard. Perhaps that set up an internal conflict?

yes, that makes complete sense -- i should probably check for that situation and catch it.

One other thing I noticed, CHS doesn’t seem to show up on the Win7 start menu, nor can I Pin it there.

now that is odd -- can any other win7 pros comment on that?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 03:03 PM »

now that is odd -- can any other win7 pros comment on that?

it's in the start menu here, (under all users) win7 64bit
Tom

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 04:29 PM »
I need to be more specific.

Firstly, I'm on Win7 32bit, and CHS is installed in a custom location on C drive.

The CHS folder does show up under the extended All Programs section of the Start menu.

But it does not show up in the Recently Opened section (lower left) of the main Start Menu pane.

And when I navigate in Windows Explorer to the .exe location and right-click, or when I right-click on the .exe under the Start Menu / All Programs listing, I am not presented with the option to Pin to the Start Menu or the Quick Launch bar. I can do both these things with any other .exe I have ever encountered.