topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Interaction with the keyboard layout hook?  (Read 2811 times)

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Interaction with the keyboard layout hook?
« on: August 11, 2012, 07:06 AM »
Hi,

I'm just wondering if CHS has any interaction with the Windows keyboard hook, because a problem has developed here.

I'm on Win7 Ultimate /32bit (upgraded from Vista Business). On this machine I have the keyboard set to the Dvorak layout. I even removed the more common QWERTY layout from the system, to prevent accidentally switching back to it.

In the Opera 12.50 browser I was composing a forum post in a multiline vBulletin text box, and I used CHS to append some BBC formatting to some selected text via a custom Formatting Preset. As soon as I did so, the system blinked noticeably, and immediately the text box began responding to the QWERTY layout scheme rather than Dvorak.

I opened metapad, and there Dvorak was recognized, so I assumed the problem was Opera's. The Opera 12 series has been very buggy, so this made sense. I cycled Opera, and the problem disappeared.

That seemed to be that, until once again the system reverted to QWERTY last evening. This time, there was no Formatting Preset event, and now the reversion seemed to be systemic, affecting global hotkeys I have set up with the program Hotkeyz (on reflection, I don't really know if the problem was systemic, or affecting only Hotkeyz).

But I haven't had this problem in a very long time, and now I've got it again. The only other program I installed lately is SoftMaker Office. I don't use it much, and I don't see anything resident from it.

So that initial blink at the CHS Format Preset application has me wondering if is it possible that CHS is somehow affecting the keyboard hook.

Thanks for any input.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Interaction with the keyboard layout hook?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 07:11 AM »
CHS does not hook keyboard stuff (at least not as far as i can remember), other than registering global hotkeys.
It certainly doesn't mess with keyboard layouts.

I wouldn't dismiss SoftMaker Office so quickly -- it wouldn't be too surprising if they didn't have something to switch keyboard layouts and have a resident tool.

There are others on the forum that switch between language layouts so they might have a better guess about this stuff.

Bottom line: It *shouldn't* be related to CHS -- please let me know if you find more evidence that it is.

Paul1149

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Interaction with the keyboard layout hook?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 08:22 AM »
Ok, thanks mouser. The problem is young so I need to take more time looking at it.

Be well,
p.