topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 10:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DONE: Folder Properties Auto-Update....  (Read 27591 times)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DONE: Folder Properties Auto-Update....
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2013, 10:35 AM »
Addendum...

Will FolMon display the same as the Windows' hover-mouse-over-folder function?  Will it show all MBs/GBs included in the folder and subfolders?

Looks promising.  I hope we can get it to work.  :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2013, 04:39 PM »
Unfortunately, I am not getting flawless performance.  FolMon only and constantly shows "28" while the mouse-hover-over-folder keeps updating continuously.

Will FolMon display the same as the Windows' hover-mouse-over-folder function?  Will it show all MBs/GBs included in the folder and subfolders?

Currently it's not recursive, as that wasn't its original intention, but it can be with the change of a parameter.

I'll make it an option, however I'm not sure what kind of impact it'll have on its resource usage - hopefully not too much since it's just asking the system for the same info you get with the mouse-over, (I think).

I might have to tweak the filesystem notification to take the sub-directories into account also, (for the statusbar update).

Addendum:

A few notes:
  • I'll change the size field so it scales the number, eg. KB, MB, and GB
  • Making it recursive will slow down it's update interval, which is currently fixed at 1000ms - you get the same thing when Windows has to parse a large filetree for statistics.
  • I'll add a slider to set update interval, (1-60 seconds), however note that this is an interval between the termination of one scan to the start of the next - eg. if the scan takes 15 seconds to complete and the update interval is set to 45 seconds then the effective update interval, (time between GUI updates), is 60 seconds.
  • Statusbar will currently only display the last file created in the initial path - I can fix that later by monitoring all filesystem changes rather than just the initial folder, (though I do wonder what kind of impact that will incur), or I can just disable the statusbar for recursive monitoring.

Hopefully I can do this in a day or two, possibly something like this:

2013-11-11 11_44_19-wintit.png
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 06:44 PM by 4wd »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2013, 07:16 PM »
Thanks!  Looking good and I will wait patiently for the next iteration.   :greenclp:

nkormanik

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2013, 07:30 PM »
Okay..., not "flawless" here either.  But highly acceptable.

Occasionally (repeat OCCASIONALLY) FolMon will freeze up, and stop counting the new files as they are added to the folder being monitored.

In those rare cases I simply close FolMon, and restart it.  And then it seems to work fine.

I've been using FolMon a lot.  And it has been a really useful addition to my arsenal.

I feel the issue is NOT worth fooling with.  Work-around for the rare freezes is easy enough.  Leave well-enough alone.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2013, 09:11 PM »
Occasionally (repeat OCCASIONALLY) FolMon will freeze up, and stop counting the new files as they are added to the folder being monitored.

Wonder if it's still related to displaying the latest file in the statusbar   :-\

I could put an option in the ini file to (en|dis)able it later, after I've got the other things working, and you can test it.

Addendum: It's kind of turning into a rewrite from scratch since I've found some routines on the AutoIt forums that let me do things I couldn't before, (eg. change the statusbar background colour).

2013-11-11 18_15_25-FolMon_0.4.png

Script has tripled in size as a result but the executable is still the same size ... go figure  ;D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 01:25 AM by 4wd »

nkormanik

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2013, 01:23 AM »
I think it has more to do with some other program I happen to be running concurrently, frankly.  In other words, my fault.  Not yours.

Not worth your valuable time and effort.  You've already give A LOT.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2013, 09:03 PM »
Deleted [old interim version]
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 12:35 AM by 4wd »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2013, 12:35 AM »
New version.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2013, 01:05 AM »
New new version.