topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Auslogics promoting false speed tester?  (Read 10075 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Auslogics promoting false speed tester?
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:00 PM »
I got an email from Auslogics promoting "inKline Global Modem Booster 8: Turbo Charge Your Internet Speed Performance", with a link saying "Test Your Internet Speed>>". I wanted to test my connection again again, so I followed the link and took the test. To my sad surprise the test results were far below the expected, 6 to 9 MB per second (download) in contrast to 25MBps, and also the upload speed was well (bad!) below, 1.5 to 1.9, against 4 MBps. So I ran to both Speedtest.net and my InternetSupplier and tested, and sure enough my actual Internet speed is as my contract has promised me: 26MBps and 3.7MBps!

Please test to see if they also will give you a false, micromized speed test result: http://www.inklinegl...embooster/index.html (scroll a little), and come back here and tell.
 :tellme:

I have written Auslogics and protested, because they're the ones promoting. I don't trust it will help to protest to inKline, do you?

Modem Booster 8 by inKline Global is a proven web acceleration software that can help you dramatically increase your Internet surfing speed.

This means you can boost download, upload and web surfing speed up to 300%, reduce web page and graphics load time, and do a lot more fun stuff online.

Your Internet Speed May Be Slow. Click Below for a 2 Minute Performance Test >>

2012-03-17_002438.gif
-inKline promoted by Auslogics

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:30 PM by Curt »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Auslogics promoting false speed tester?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 06:41 AM »
Increasing TCP packet size will make things download/upload faster. Microsoft is (very) conservative with setting the packet size so the lowest common denominator could still have a stable and reliable connection. If you have professional grade LAN hardware and good cabling, packet size can make quite a difference.

However, with internet connections there are a lot more "points of failure" possible and you will have to find out with trial and (a lot of) error to find the ideal packet size. Generally speaking, more speed means you have to sacrifice stability. For most (including me) this is way more headache than it is worth and personally I place this kind of software in the same corner as registry cleaners. Useless for anyone except your PC repair shop.

Sorry to be so blunt but if one wants more speed, pony up the cash to buy a better connection from your (current) ISP. After that buy hardware that supports jumbo packets (for a better LAN experience).

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 04:14 PM »
Yep, looks to me like they are skewing the results. I should get 50mbps, Speedtest tells me 48.5, the Auslogics thing tells me 10.86  :'(

Or maybe they are routing me to a server based on Pluto (which will always be a planet to me)

Krishean

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • I like pie
    • View Profile
    • Draconis Labs
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 05:27 PM »
They seem to be using this swf file to do their test: http://www.internetf...edtest/speedtest.swf and it does not seem to be a very thorough test either. It did show my speed at nearly the correct speed once (40/8) but the results seem to vary widely because of the test not running for long enough.

I also like how they show some of their discount codes directly in the page source, good job  :Thmbsup:

Edit: I just ran the speedtest.net test, and it came up with 58/8, so I guess their test is a little slow...
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

- Arthur C. Clarke

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 05:56 PM »
Pluto (which will always be a planet to me)

somehow I misread that as always a planet near me...
Tom

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 06:58 PM »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 07:29 PM »
Yes well, complete BS AFAICT - I'm getting half my download rate and almost three times my upload rate.

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 09:31 PM »
Like other things, it depends on a number of factors. Microsoft is conservative with default settings in all areas not because they want to slow you down, but because those settings are best for everyone, in general. Therefore, in *some minority* of cases, it is theoretically possible to *marginally* improve your network performance. Notice the key words, *minority*  and *marginally*. Worse is that if you do not fit into that minority, then you may well do more harm than good. To actually know would require more extensive testing than simple SpeedTest.net results. First, you'd want many of those, as they can vary each run. Second, you'd need to test real-world conditions on a number of other servers, as the server settings may affect your results.

The best case is to leave the defaults as-is. If you do experiment with software, *make sure* you create a Restore Point you can go back to first, as once you lose your defaults, they are not presently easy to get back. One of the goals of my little RegMerge was to eventually allow people to see what settings may have changed and return to defaults.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 09:45 PM »
Pluto is not a planet.

Of course it's a planet. Don't get me started, or I'll have Renegade berating me for being off-topic.  :D

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 09:49 PM »
lol im on a 100mbps line, and thats telling me im 7.12 down speed 1.54 up speed with a ping of 270ms

Speedtest.net = 96.8mbps down, 12.4up 7ms ping

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 06:14 AM »
lol im on a 100mbps line, and thats telling me im 7.12 down speed 1.54 up speed with a ping of 270ms
-Stephen66515 (March 19, 2012, 09:49 PM)

We must have the same ISP. They are who I use to have 100Mbit downstream, 5Mbit upstream. Latency of course depends on how far your packet is to travel, and the remote server, but latency out of their network and their peering arrangements seem EXCELLENT. I've noticed they use many of several service providers themselves, so they make sure your stuff gets there as fast as it can. They've really built a good network, I must say. It is sad the company has always been teetering on the verge of bankruptcy. What's great is we are talking rural TN. So, the USA Internet is getting better, fast.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 03:12 PM »
-Stephen66515 (March 19, 2012, 09:49 PM)

We must have the same ISP. They are who I use to have 100Mbit downstream, 5Mbit upstream. Latency of course depends on how far your packet is to travel, and the remote server, but latency out of their network and their peering arrangements seem EXCELLENT. I've noticed they use many of several service providers themselves, so they make sure your stuff gets there as fast as it can. They've really built a good network, I must say. It is sad the company has always been teetering on the verge of bankruptcy. What's great is we are talking rural TN. So, the USA Internet is getting better, fast.

My ISP Is Virgin Media in the UK :) - We get free upgrades to 200mbps soon! :D

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 05:10 PM »
We get free upgrades to 200mbps soon!
-Stephen66515 (March 20, 2012, 03:12 PM)

-nice.  :up:

When I asked (complained to) my ISP support worker about my 25MBps speed, he said that I could have much faster speed if I was ready to pay. The "problem" is that they don't advertize with more than 25, now 50 MBps, so I guess that prices for genuine high speed connections also are genuine high... I didn't ask.

So, you have 100, going 200, but at what price? It is of course difficult to compare apples and oranges, and ISP vs ISP: My contract is including free: 40 channels television, 3 mio music tracks, IP telephone, webmail, 5GB web backup, cinema, etcetera..., but speed is extra ;-) As of now I pay $80 per month.

:tellme:

Edited:
I just re-checked their homepage and saw that they also offer 100/10 MBps (down/up) speed. They don't tell that in their adverts; they end at 50 MBps. My extra price for 100 MBps would be $37 per month.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 05:42 PM by Curt, Reason: 100MBps »