topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: XYplorer lifetime license PRO 50% off  (Read 20368 times)

Ennovy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
XYplorer lifetime license PRO 50% off
« on: February 29, 2012, 12:22 AM »
On Bits du Jour, 5 and 6 march 2012: XYplorer lifetime license for the PRO version with a 50% discount.

The announcement is now on the homepage of XYplorer: http://www.xyplorer.com/index.htm

BdJ page: http://www.bitsdujou...er-lifetime-license/

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: XYplorer lifetime license PRO 50% off
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 07:21 AM »
One of the all-time great Windows programs IMO.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 06:10 AM »
Links in OP still valid for today's offer of 50% off the lifetime license (~$40).

For the next 19hrs 50mins
Tom

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 07:33 AM »
Awesome! It was getting to be about time for me to upgrade to the paid version anyway. The lifetime license for just a little more will be a sweet bonus.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 08:46 AM »
Did someone say "lifetime" as in "lifetime license"???

Danger Will Robinson! :tellme:

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 10:26 AM »

I've had one for about 8 years, and when Don has changed his licensing terms (at one point the lifetime license was removed from the purchase options) it was always grandfathered for existing licensees - as it should be.  I think that a lifetime license for XY is one of the least risky lifetime licenses.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 10:48 AM »
My lifetime license is 3 years  ..... and hopefully counting for a long time

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 11:26 AM »

I've had one for about 8 years, and when Don has changed his licensing terms (at one point the lifetime license was removed from the purchase options) it was always grandfathered for existing licensees - as it should be.  I think that a lifetime license for XY is one of the least risky lifetime licenses.
My lifetime license is 3 years  ..... and hopefully counting for a long time

:tellme: Please don't get me wrong. I'm not doubting the developer's integrity. I'm worried about long-term sustainability.

Lifetime licenses are generally not a good idea for a software business. Especially if they're offering one to help fix a short-term cashflow problem. 8)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 11:46 AM »
^Yes, very true. Don has gone back and forth on the lifetime offering. I hope he is familiar with its pitfalls.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 12:19 PM »

I've had one for about 8 years, and when Don has changed his licensing terms (at one point the lifetime license was removed from the purchase options) it was always grandfathered for existing licensees - as it should be.  I think that a lifetime license for XY is one of the least risky lifetime licenses.
My lifetime license is 3 years  ..... and hopefully counting for a long time

:tellme: Please don't get me wrong. I'm not doubting the developer's integrity. I'm worried about long-term sustainability.

Lifetime licenses are generally not a good idea for a software business. Especially if they're offering one to help fix a short-term cashflow problem. 8)
You know how I know lifetime licenses are not good for business?  Because i buy them even if i don't need them.  :P

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 12:30 PM »
You know how I know lifetime licenses are not good for business?  Because i buy them even if i don't need them.  :P

Busted! Me too. :-[

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 05:49 AM »
Links in OP still valid for today's offer of 50% off the lifetime license (~$40).

extended to today:
20hrs 10mins to go :)
Tom

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 02:56 PM »
^Yes, very true. Don has gone back and forth on the lifetime offering. I hope he is familiar with its pitfalls.
As long as more people are born every day than buy a license I'm not worried. And last time I checked this was still the case. ;)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 06:41 AM »
Links in OP still valid for today's offer of 50% off the lifetime license of XYplorer (~$40).

extended to today:
20hrs 10mins to go :)

... aaaand another 19hrs and 19 minutes to go :-)
Tom

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 09:41 PM »
Has there been a 64-bit version released yet? Their site seems to indicate there hasn't.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 12:15 AM »
Has there been a 64-bit version released yet? Their site seems to indicate there hasn't.

No 64-bit version, but 64-bit shell extensions are supported.  

Sort of.  You have to select from the initial right-click menu that you want the 64-bit menu, then viola!

So it's not exactly seamless, but it's a step in the right direction if 64-bit extension support is important to you (personally, I consider it a bug for the software that's installing the extension if it doesn't install both the 32-bit and 64-bit extensions on a 64-bit system).

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 12:48 AM »

No 64-bit version, but 64-bit shell extensions are supported. 

Sort of.  You have to select from the initial right-click menu that you want the 64-bit menu, then viola!

So it's not exactly seamless, but it's a step in the right direction if 64-bit extension support is important to you (personally, I consider it a bug for the software that's installing the extension if it doesn't install both the 32-bit and 64-bit extensions on a 64-bit system).
FYI, you can also configure it to show the 64-bit menu immediately. So it actually supports both worlds of shell extensions -- a rare thing to find.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 01:22 AM »
FYI, you can also configure it to show the 64-bit menu immediately.

Thanks for the tip - I didn't know that (obviously)!

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 07:34 PM »

Glad it's a step in the right direction, but I'm a little disappointed. I think XYplorer is the last hold-out among the major file manager players to not have a 64-bit version.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 11:05 PM »
With the information that 64-bit shell extensions are supported with a config option, I can't think of a reason that the main program needs to be 64-bit.

Other than to say that it's 64-bit.  I don't think there's any functional reason for it. Or am I missing something?

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 05:23 AM »
With the information that 64-bit shell extensions are supported with a config option, I can't think of a reason that the main program needs to be 64-bit.

Other than to say that it's 64-bit.  I don't think there's any functional reason for it. Or am I missing something?

There are only minimal, for most user not relevant reasons, like:
- you can't browse to folder "sysnative" (the 64-bit-"system32" folder from the view of a 32-bit program  on 64-bit OS)
- you can't allocated more than 3,5GB RAM for processes launched from a 32-bit program (as in starting a program from within the 32-bit app, which in turns needs many RAM for processing)
- every app started from an 32-bit app will only see the 32-bit environment (as in launching Regedit and you will not see "Syswow6432node")
For such tasks you will have to utilize WinExplorer.
Most user this may not affect, it could only led to confusions if you would look for something above mentioned from within a 32-bit app.

All in all no real reason from standing back from a 32-bit app on 64-bit OS. Most user will never see any differences.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 05:13 PM »

There are only minimal, for most user not relevant reasons, like:
- you can't browse to folder "sysnative" (the 64-bit-"system32" folder from the view of a 32-bit program  on 64-bit OS)
- you can't allocated more than 3,5GB RAM for processes launched from a 32-bit program (as in starting a program from within the 32-bit app, which in turns needs many RAM for processing)
- every app started from an 32-bit app will only see the 32-bit environment (as in launching Regedit and you will not see "Syswow6432node")
For such tasks you will have to utilize WinExplorer.
Most user this may not affect, it could only led to confusions if you would look for something above mentioned from within a 32-bit app.

All in all no real reason from standing back from a 32-bit app on 64-bit OS. Most user will never see any differences.

These issues either have been solved by XY or they just don't apply to XY in the first place:

- Even though it's a 32-bit application, XY will show the 'real' System32 directory without having to use the sysnative alias hack (there are APIs a 32-bit application can use to tell Windows to stop the redirection).  There's a configuration option to turn this behavior on/off ("Show the real System32 directory"), but it's on by default, I think.  So when you navigate to the System32 directory, you will see the same files that are actually in the System32 directory just as if a 64-bit file manager were browsing that directory.

- being limited to 3.5GB of virtual memory is unlikely to be a limitation to XY. In fact, I'm sure most users would be up in arms if they noticed it using more than a few hundred MB (mine is using around 70MB at the moment).  The virtual memory limitation of a 32-bit process has no bearing on the virtual memory available to processes launched - they get their own allocation of virtual memory that is completely separate from the launching process.

- again, an app launched from XY has it's own virtual memory allocation and the WOW64 redirection that the OS imposes on 32-bit process has nothing to do with the process that launches an app.  If the newly launched process is 32-bit, then it will get the WOW64 redirections whether or not it is launched from a 64-bit or 32-bit app.  Similarly, a 64-bit app launched from a 32-app will *not* have those redirections applied, and will have the full terabytes-large virtual address space available to it.

So the bottom line is that with XY configured to show 64-bit shell extensions, it's functionally equivalent to a 64-bit file manager as far as I know.  Doing a ton of work to make it a true 64-bit application would be a compete waste of effort for no gain other than to be able to say "XY is a 64-bit app". 

And to waste Don's efforts on that would be a shame.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2014, 05:33 PM »
So the bottom line is that with XY configured to show 64-bit shell extensions, it's functionally equivalent to a 64-bit file manager as far as I know.  Doing a ton of work to make it a true 64-bit application would be a compete waste of effort for no gain other than to be able to say "XY is a 64-bit app".  

And to waste Don's efforts on that would be a shame.

As far as I know XY is written in VB6, which means it won't be 64-bit or multi-threaded. But as long as it works for people, and Microsoft continues to support running VB6 apps (which they do at least for the lifetime of Windows 8 ), there should be little problems.

At some point WoW64 will probably be phased out (when we are all on 128-bit processors), just like WOW was removed from 64-bit Windows, but that's further into the future, so as long as you don't need a file manager on something like WinPE 64-bit, that's not a real concern right now either.

Personally, I think the lack of multi-threading is a lot worse than being 32-bit, if you want to worry about something.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2014, 05:53 PM »
Personally, I think the lack of multi-threading is a lot worse than being 32-bit, if you want to worry about something.

^this
(I actually thought 64bit and multi-threading were synonymous :-[)
Tom

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2014, 10:17 AM »

Multi-threading was the next thing I was going to ask about. I simply can't live without that.